Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

Toddler in kids club question?

Can a 2 yr old toddler play in the kids club with her 9 yr old sister, 9 yr old cousin, and 12 yr old cousin or does a adult have to be present? They could help her go to the restroom if needed.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678 View Post
Can a 2 yr old toddler play in the kids club with her 9 yr old sister, 9 yr old cousin, and 12 yr old cousin or does a adult have to be present? They could help her go to the restroom if needed.
An untrained 2 year old would not be in Oceaneer's Club/Lab unless they were there during the Open House hours. During those hours an adult (parent, grandparent, other adult in the group) must be present with them.

There will be some posting that their 2 year old (untrained ) was allowed in the club as a regular participant, but this really isn't the norm. Depending on how many children are in the Club/Lab on any given cruise, and the parent's agreement that they will return every 30-45 minutes to take the child to the toilet, a 2 year old may be allowed in.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

I have a mostly potty trained 3 year old and I am trying to decide if he will be ok in the club or if I should keep him in the nursery. We have 2 weeks to go. He is "mostly" trained in that he has maybe one accident per week, which has been when I am not around to diligently remind him to go. He wears underwear at home, but I put him in a pull-up when we are out just for my own convenience. He can manage to go by himself ok as far as managing his clothes. I have no problem checking on him every hour or more frequently to take him potty, I just don't know how it would work out.

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

Shes doing good on pottying but not quite there yet, but she will tell you when she has to go and her sister and cousins could assist her. She wouldnt need help from a cast member.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The one point left out about a 2 yo going to the club is that they usually require them to be within 30 days of their 3rd birthday.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
I have a mostly potty trained 3 year old and I am trying to decide if he will be ok in the club or if I should keep him in the nursery. We have 2 weeks to go. He is "mostly" trained in that he has maybe one accident per week, which has been when I am not around to diligently remind him to go. He wears underwear at home, but I put him in a pull-up when we are out just for my own convenience. He can manage to go by himself ok as far as managing his clothes. I have no problem checking on him every hour or more frequently to take him potty, I just don't know how it would work out.

Sent from me.
We had the same situation on our last cruise. Our daughter was not fully potty trained (just turned 3) and needed help. We were able to put her in the club and we just checked back regularly. Also one episode she did need help from us and they called us on the wave phones and we came right over and changed her.

It depends on the cast members though. Some tolerate it and some don't. I am guessing if the cruise is more full they cannot do as much and they won't change your child. We always knew that we would need to be real close and just used that time to have coffee etc together so we could quickly come to the club if needed.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post

We had the same situation on our last cruise. Our daughter was not fully potty trained (just turned 3) and needed help. We were able to put her in the club and we just checked back regularly. Also one episode she did need help from us and they called us on the wave phones and we came right over and changed her.

It depends on the cast members though. Some tolerate it and some don't. I am guessing if the cruise is more full they cannot do as much and they won't change your child. We always knew that we would need to be real close and just used that time to have coffee etc together so we could quickly come to the club if needed.
Did you have her in panties or a pull-up?

Sent from me.
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
Did you have her in panties or a pull-up?

Sent from me.
Pull ups
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post

Pull ups
This is what I'm going to try to do -- keep him in a pull-up, check on him periodically to remind him to go.

Sent from me.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I have heard that it really depends on cast members. The overall DCL policy is at least 3 AND fully, independent potty trained. I am hoping when we go in November we will have flexible cast members. My ds will be 3, but not 100% potty trained (he can do it, but if he is having fun he may not stop.) I am hoping they will let him in wearing a pull-up. I have no problem going to the kids club if he needs me and don't expect cm to do anything with the potty. But I don't know that I can trust him 100% if he is having a lot of fun to stop. His sister and cousins will all be in the kids club and I know he will be devastated if he can't go as his big sister LOVES the kids club. He HATED the nursery our last cruise. We have him signed up for the nursery just in case. Do you think having him signed up for the nursery will hurt his chances of being let in the kids club? I hate to not have him signed up and then they won't let him in, but I won't lie on the registration and say he is 100% potty trained when he isn't. I know some people will, and I don't judge them, but I am honest to a fault and don't want to try to get around the system. And I won't send him to kids club without a pull up as I think it is just too risky.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
I have heard that it really depends on cast members. The overall DCL policy is at least 3 AND fully, independent potty trained. I am hoping when we go in November we will have flexible cast members. My ds will be 3, but not 100% potty trained (he can do it, but if he is having fun he may not stop.) I am hoping they will let him in wearing a pull-up. I have no problem going to the kids club if he needs me and don't expect cm to do anything with the potty. But I don't know that I can trust him 100% if he is having a lot of fun to stop. His sister and cousins will all be in the kids club and I know he will be devastated if he can't go as his big sister LOVES the kids club. He HATED the nursery our last cruise. We have him signed up for the nursery just in case. Do you think having him signed up for the nursery will hurt his chances of being let in the kids club? I hate to not have him signed up and then they won't let him in, but I won't lie on the registration and say he is 100% potty trained when he isn't. I know some people will, and I don't judge them, but I am honest to a fault and don't want to try to get around the system. And I won't send him to kids club without a pull up as I think it is just too risky.
Right now I have DS signed up for kids club but will see how he does in the next two weeks and switch to nursery if he doesn't seem to be improving. If I leave him as kids club, I plan to explain at the port when we get the kids their bracelets and see what they think.

Sent from me.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
We didn't lie either. We booked her and she showed up on our reservation as being eligible for the nursery. When we arrived at the port we asked. We were not expecting anything and we didn't pressure the staff. She is an extremely stubborn child and was fully potty trained shortly after the cruise. She was obviously ready intellectually for the kids club but we just couldn't make her fully potty train that was on her own timing. After talking with us the kids club staff talked with her and asked her some questions and said yes. I don't know if that played into the decision or if they were just including her. Also the people at the port had to pull a CM who works on the ship to say yes.

Go figure each kid is different. Our first child potty trained at 15 months. Our second was over 3 and our son is already starting at 20 months. With our middle child it was totally her and she didn't want to do it and there was no forcing that
Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678 View Post
How close is she to turning 3 yrs old? If it's not within a month or so, don't expect her to be allowed regularly into the Club. Remember, this space is for those ages 3-12, so quite a broad age-range; and just because your older kids/cousins would be good with her doesn't mean others will be respectful of a 2-yr-old in their midst.

She can attend Open House, but a parent/grandparent/adult must accompany any children at Open House.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

If the clubs are full, they won't make exceptions with the age limits. If not, then will typically allow those a month shy of 3 to get in (and same for the other clubs).

However, they are prohibited from helping a kid with going to the bathroom. They will help and provide temporary clothes if an accident happens.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: