Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
DisneyMagic73
Mouseketeer

Art of Animation Mermaid Room

Anyone stayed here? Feedback? We are planning a Sept 2014 with our then to be 4 year old.....how is this resort for that age? How is the foodcourt etc? thanks for ALLLLLLL the info in advance!
DisneyMagic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I stayed in a LM room last December and will be there again this December. The rooms are cute as is the whole area. Some people don't care for where the LM section is( they find the distance too far) but it doesn't bother me.

I enjoyed the food court. There are different areas themed to the different sections of the resort. The food is good, the have the basics and foods that are a little different. They also have gelato which was yummy...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
fairydust1278
"The path to your destiny lies within the magic of your heart."

Here's a link to the AOA thread!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110303
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

We thought the rooms were very small. But, the grounds are nice! We had a crawling 9 mo at the time, and felt like there was no room for him to move around!
jasmine91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
DisneyMagic73
Mouseketeer

Thank you! We have not been back to Disney in 7 years....this will be our first trip with our DS......we used to go every year since we got married...can't wait to go back........
DisneyMagic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
debandbill
Earning My Ears

Just Back of AoA

The rooms are small but well laid out and you will be fine with the 4 year old..just be prepared for sleep in a double bed with someone which seems small if you are used to a king or queen. The AC worked well and is very quiet. I liked the wall pegs in the suitcase area..nice for hanging damp items or things you need to find quickly. Room was very clean except I noticed that the chest under the TV was in need of a good wipe down.

The grounds are so much fun and she will love all the theming. Take time to walk to the other sections. I thought the Cars section was the cutest!

The food court (more like a food arena) in Animation Hall is crazy busy but well run and very clean. They are open well into the evening (11 or 12?) so you can leave the parks with a small child and still get dinner there pretty quickly.

Overall AOA was a good experience for senior hubby and I who are used to the deluxe resorts. We were scoping to see if our son and family would like it.
debandbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
SaphyBelle
Mouseketeer

We stayed there this past July and I can't complain. We have a 7 yr. old girl and 5 yr. old boy. They both enjoyed it. We also, would drive our car each morning to park near Finding Nemo resort/pick up the buses. Then by the end of the day we just get in our car and drive back to where our room was. It can get busy in the food court in the morning (especially around 9:00 am time frame) but were still able to find a table. The room is a tad small but it was just right for us four. On that trip we just became DVC- AKV is now our new home which we will get to visit next April before our DCL-Fantasy cruise. But in other words, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. At least try it once.

DISCLAIMER: It's been a while since I've been in school, please forgive me for my grammar
SaphyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I was there in October 2012. The theming is INCREDIBLE. You really MUST visit if for no other reason. But my overall review was not positive.

This resort is big and it is a hike to the food court and bus stops. I just completed a half marathon, so I *don't* mind walking, but this was a hike. We had a senior with mobility issues, so it it was more pronounced in our situation.

There seemed to be more "room noise" at this resort than AS--and I am a heavy sleeper. Very aware of babies crying in rooms and doors opening and closing all around. We were on the second floor. In the future, I will ask for a top floor room.

Bus service was good to/from parks. We did not go to DTD. All the CMs were super nice.

The REAL negative is the food court. It has a terrible layout and it is just BEDLAM. The queuing lines are not nearly as long as they need to be. Service was sluggish and I can't tell you why. It seemed a bit understaffed, but not terribly so. It took 10-15 minutes (one time 20 min) to get through the lines and get food, then stand in line again to pay. By the time you are seated, the food is tepid. Then you have to get silverware, drinks, find a table, etc. The noise level is HORRENDOUS even at non-peak times. And the traffic flow design (WHAT traffic flow design??) is very poor. There is no real flow pattern.

Seating is ample, which is nice. You get real plates and silverware which is good news/bad news. I found that I bristled at having to so bus my own table. You have to try to get the trash and remnants into a trash receptacle with a too small door that is spring loaded to close. Then you sort of recycling and the dishes in one bin and flatware in another. It reminded me WAY too much of bussing tables in a restaurant.

Food quality was OK but not remarkably better than AS, which is what I had hoped for... The food "looks" better than it tastes. Naan bread is VERY good and I really enjoyed the build your own fruit bowls and yogurt/granola bowls for breakfast.

Mousekeeping was fine.

I was booked there again in December, but I switched to Pop and just walk over with a friend to show it all to her. The food court & noise levels put a damper on the overall experience for me.

In case you are wondering, I am NOT a deluxe snob. I have only stayed deluxe 4 out of 30+ visits. The vast majority of my visits by far are at the values.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
dpswift
DIS Veteran

DD 18 and I really liked staying there but DH hated the long walk to the food court and buses. I feel that the overall feel of the resort is more upscale than other values.

We drove so we had soda from home in our room and we did not buy drink cups. I am not sure if I would buy drink cups because LM is so far from the food court.

I enjoyed the walk around the resort. It is a value resort and that is what you are getting. Double beds, basic pools and no sit down restaurants. But that is all we want or need.

I would happily go back there but after staying at AoA and ASMo for the first time DH has joined the I love POP club.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
debandbill
Earning My Ears

Did not have this issue with the food court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post

The REAL negative is the food court. It has a terrible layout and it is just BEDLAM. The queuing lines are not nearly as long as they need to be. Service was sluggish and I can't tell you why. It seemed a bit understaffed, but not terribly so. It took 10-15 minutes (one time 20 min) to get through the lines and get food, then stand in line again to pay. By the time you are seated, the food is tepid. Then you have to get silverware, drinks, find a table, etc. The noise level is HORRENDOUS even at non-peak times. And the traffic flow design (WHAT traffic flow design??) is very poor. There is no real flow pattern.

Seating is ample, which is nice. You get real plates and silverware which is good news/bad news. I found that I bristled at having to so bus my own table. You have to try to get the trash and remnants into a trash receptacle with a too small door that is spring loaded to close. Then you sort of recycling and the dishes in one bin and flatware in another. It reminded me WAY too much of bussing tables in a restaurant.

Food quality was OK but not remarkably better than AS, which is what I had hoped for... The food "looks" better than it tastes. Naan bread is VERY good and I really enjoyed the build your own fruit bowls and yogurt/granola bowls for breakfast.

Mousekeeping was fine.

I was booked there again in December, but I switched to Pop and just walk over with a friend to show it all to her. The food court & noise levels put a damper on the overall experience for me.

In case you are wondering, I am NOT a deluxe snob. I have only stayed deluxe 4 out of 30+ visits. The vast majority of my visits by far are at the values.
I am pretty sensitive to bedlam and noise and don't get me wrong, the dining court at AOA is pretty noisy as expected in this size venue, but I thought that our experience last week was pretty good in the same time frame. Lines were handled well and quickly, tables were bussed frequently, and the food was pretty darn good. And, the whole area seemed clean and smelled good. I was even surprised at the behavior of every one there....no cutting in line and good manners from most everyone. YMMV
debandbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

I think it's important to remember it's been a year since the previous poster stayed there. We were there in Nov 2012, just a few months after the resort opened, and the food court was awful. However, I've been keeping up with reviews and it seems like they've worked out most of the kinks
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, Split Stay! CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining
November 2015 {Jersey Week}, Land & Sea! Hotel TBD, 3-night DCL Dream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
SarahhhFo
Disney-Obsessed

Thumbs up

We stayed at AoA for my 21st birthday in one of the Little Mermaid rooms. It was a great experience! Unlike other value resorts, these rooms are decorated head to toe! When I stay somewhere, I like to feel immersed in the 'Disney Culture'. AoA succeeded in that.

The Little Mermaid section has its own pool, and breakfast stand full of fruits, bagels, danishes, muffins, juices and coffee so when you get up in the morning you can grab-n'-go what you need and head straight to the bus stop.

The walk from the LM to the main part of the resort is pretty long compared to the other sections, which bothered my husband a little by the end of the trip since he is recovering from an ACL injury. But we love being able to see the other sections on your morning stroll to the food court and shops.

The food court is the BEST that we've ever been too. The food was fabulous, and there are tons of choices! The best choice we saw was the make your own pasta bowl section. You get a HUGE bowl of pasta for around $10.00. EASILY shared.

The store is just like any other Disney Merch' store at a resort. You find your basics and then there were a few t's and other things with the AoA logo.

The main pool is GREAT! Huge area for kids to play in, wet or dry. The big blue pool also has under water speakers so Dory and Nemo can interact with guests as they swim! There's also a bar right by the big blue pool for adults to have a little enjoyment while the kids let loose. :]

Over all my husband says this is by far his favorite resort, and he has stayed at many. I agree with him, but I also love to try new things.

I hope you guys have a great experience at AoA! It's definitely worth it.

SarahhhFo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: