Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #46
scard192
DIS Veteran

We arrive in 2 weeks, staying at POFQ and have and ADR for CM on the 20th and 1900PF on the 23rd. How will we get there?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #47
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
We arrive in 2 weeks, staying at POFQ and have and ADR for CM on the 20th and 1900PF on the 23rd. How will we get there?
Thanks
There is a boat from MK to the GF. You would just have to travel from POFQ to MK to the boat launch to do it.

It is easy to get to CR for Chef Mickey - just walk there from the bus depot or main gate of MK.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #48
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
Thanks
The fastest was to get to any resort ADR is to take a taxi. If you are going to the Magic Kingdom after Chef Mickeys, walk. It is less than 10 minutes.

The monorail resorts all have boat service in addition to the monorail.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #49
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

If I were staying at a monorail resort and the monorail was closed for 7 hours each day (11am-6pm) that I was there, I wouldn't like it either. The convenience of the monorail is factored into the cost of the resort room

I probably wouldn't change resorts, but I still wouldn't like it.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #50
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

We are just going to make the best out of it. We are going to change our plans around, go to Epcot or the other parks during the day. We took the boat back from MK this afternoon. It was a relaxing ride. I don't know how it will be tomorrow when the monorail is down as the boats can only hold a few, but we can go to the TTC because it is my understanding that they are operational. We are trying to focus on everything that is right and not what is wrong. :-) my biggest complaint is that I wasn't informed ahead of time, or even at check in. Then I could have made an informed decision.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #51
JandLsMom
Earning My Ears

You know, this exact same scenario happened to us when we were there last year in March. When we checked in, we were notified that the monorail would be down most of the week during those similar hours for "maintenance." I was a little (ok, maybe more than a little) miffed that we saved up for a long time to be able to afford a vacation at the Poly, only to find that one of the major reasons that we wanted to stay there...the monorail convenience...was going to be down for the better part of the day, EVERY day of our trip. We, too, were not notified in advance, but rather at check-in.

However, I do have to say, that it wasn't all that bad in the end. We did have the water taxi that took us back and forth during those hours, and even though it was not as quick as the monorail, it was a short & enjoyable ride. I did very much appreciate that Disney had the monorail running for the busiest hours of the day (morning and evening), when we all needed it most. However, when you pay what you pay for a deluxe resort, in the midst of numerous refurbs at the resort(s) AND the parks, then have to deal with monorail closures, that's a little hard to swallow in my opinion. I completely understand where the OP is coming from.
JandLsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #52
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I share the same view as the OP. When I pay close to or more than $5,000 every April to stay at a monorail resort, the monorail is half of the reason I do so. It's an incredible convenience and something that both my daughter and I enjoy. If I were in the shoes of the OP, I probably wouldn't switch resorts but would be actively seeking a room discount.

The resort launches are fantastic and we utilize them quite a bit, but we do love the monorail. It's iconic and our first monorail ride of each trip definitely gets us in the Disney spirit (even more so than we already are).

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #53
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Yes they can. Every convenience is subject to availability. And it is very rare for Disney to offer monetary compensation for a resort amenity being out of service, let alone offer it for one that is still in partial service. It isn't totally unavailable, only part of the time and only part of the whole beam. I'm not saying I would be happy about it, but it would only be a small hiccup. There are other ways to get to the MK, and quite frankly, more reliable ways.

Honestly, I would take the boat. The monorail has been having more than its fair share of issues.
Actually no, they really can't, anyone with any knowledge of consumer protection law, contract law, or the laws surrounding advertisement knows that this is not acceptable or legal.

Even if its in "fine print" that amenities are subject to availability it doesn't matter. People think things like fine print and waivers are binding in law, they are not. There is considerable jurisprudence establishing "reasonable expectations". This even applies to things like warranties and rental agreements. Ie: Did you know, that even if your warranty has expired, but it is reasonable as a consumer to assume that an issue should still be covered, it legally is ??? Or, did you know that if you pay for a rental somewhere and there are amenities included, A fridge, stove, internet, heating, cooling, .... a monorail ??? And any of that is on the fritz during your rental, you are entitled to monetary compensation ? Yea, that's the law, its fun.

Yes, law is what I do for a living, though in fairness it varies from state to state, these are generally true almost everywhere, in fact, these are the bare minimums usually established, in some states the law goes much further on behalf of the consumer.

An OP argued that "these things happen" sure they do, but when they do, consumers have to be compensated.

I also suggest you take a more realistic outlook. Construction, upgrades, etc, don't "just happen" at Disney. Sure, sometimes the monorail is on the fritz, that's the kind of stuff that falls under reasonable expectations of operation. However, something like what the OP is talking about, this stuff is scheduled, Months, or even YEARS in advance. They KNOW, this is happening, and go ahead and sell reservations to unwitting guests anyway, without informing them of the impending denial of paid for amenities.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #54
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I read on another thread that there is a signal problem, so if that's the case, it's not planned maintenance.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #55
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I read on another thread that there is a signal problem, so if that's the case, it's not planned maintenance.
Funny enough I have a few friends, and some family that work for the railroad, I know, not a direct relationship to the monorail, if anything its more complex. However my best friend, and best man for that matter, is actually a signals technician, and I can tell you with about 99% certainty, there is no way a signals issue would take 2 weeks 7 hours a day to fix. They can fix absolutely destroyed signals stations, or entire sections of derailed and destroyed track in a day or two .... to be fair, I don't really know if there is much of a relationship between the railroad and the monorail, but really, at least 2 weeks, 7 hours a day, I really can't see that being a signals issue. Anyone who rides the train, or the subway, etc, has experienced signals issues, they don't take 2 weeks to fix.

And if its an issue with the code behind it, as someone with a diploma in computer engineering (yes, I did this because my father told me to, before I did what I wanted to do and went to University), its not the code either.

Or, Maybe it is, and if that's the case, its absolutely inept of Disney to have to put the system down for this long in order to address the problem. I thought I had read this actually had something to do with the construction currently on going ?

In either case, it really doesn't matter the cause, Disney sells a room for a given premium based on the amenities it offers, it then can not deliver on those amenities and so the consumer is entitled to compensation.

Last edited by Shaden; 10-05-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #56
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

This is what Cheshire Figment posted, he's a cm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
There is a signal problem on the Resort Beam. It has been causing the trains to receive a red signal in error which requires them to stop and then Control actually do a reset before the train can move at all.

This has been in effect for a few days now and it is driving the technical people crazy.

What's worse is it is an intermittent problem, and anyone who has ever been an electronics technician knows that an intermittent problem is the hardest to diagnose and repair.
It does seem strange that it comes right before VGF opens, which is very close to the resort beam.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #57
Disney-on-the-Brain
Earning My Ears

Please keep in mind that this monorail disruption due to GF construction is in addition to fairly significant DVC construction that is starting up at Poly, too. When I booked at the beginning of August, neither of these things were mentioned to me. To be honest, I'm irked too, but I'm working on convincing myself that neither of these issues will affect me too greatly.
Disney-on-the-Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #58
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I just wanted the OP to know that I too had this problem happen to us in the spring of 2012 when we stayed at the grand Floridian. Only we didn't get any notice from the hotel, just the boat operators on the way back from the MK. Since we were already unpacked and since we liked the grounds of the grand so much we decided to stay vs switching to the wilderness lodge. But it definitely affected my opinion because of the way the cast members handled the situation. No extra Disney magic at all. And I would have been happy with a free Mickey ice cream bar or credits for time in the game room or a couple chocolate covered strawberries. It demonstrated a big difference to me from the days of our trips in the 1990s.

Fortunately at the poly u do have the option of the ferry to MK and the ability to walk to the TTC for Epcot. We had to bus to the TTC and then monorail to Epcot. We ended up switching some ADRs and it worked out ok. It was open more than they said it would be also, so maybe it won't be as bad. However, Disney does notify guests of pool or other resort refurbishments (restaurants, quick service, spas) - why can't they about monorail closures? It DOES make an difference and those monorail hotels are very expensive. I am not saying I wouldn't have stayed at the grand again someday, but I would have saved my money and stayed elsewhere in the meantime.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #59
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
This is what Cheshire Figment posted, he's a cm:

It does seem strange that it comes right before VGF opens, which is very close to the resort beam.
Very true that intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and repair, but again, 2 weeks with such a scheduled down time, seems unlikely ... but fair enough.

In either case, there is a denial of agreed upon services and guests should be compensated.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #60
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Very true that intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and repair, but again, 2 weeks with such a scheduled down time, seems unlikely ... but fair enough.

In either case, there is a denial of agreed upon services and guests should be compensated.
And if you don't get satisfaction at the resort level, what should you do?
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: