Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Wonder 1st time???

We've been on two Disney cruises with our third coming up next June, all Dream series ships. Were planning for summer 2015 and know itineraries aren't out yet but are considering Magic in Europe or Wonder in Alaska. DW doesn't want to do Wonder if it hasn't been re-imagined yet. I think it would be cool to do it before that happens so we could get a feel of the "original" style ships, then we could do the Magic the following year. I would love to hear some feedback from folks who have done both classes of ships.

TIA
WDW: October 2007-Doubletree Suites, October 2009-All Star Music, October 2011-Contemporary, DCL, Pop Century, June 2013-Beach Club, DCL, Polynesian, 2014-Art of Animation, DCL, 2015-DCL, Art of Animation
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
FiveForFun
Mouseketeer

I don't have anything to compare it to. I have only ever cruised on the Wonder - 4 times. I think I would live on it permanently if they let me. It changed the way I think about vacationing with my family in a very good way.
The Wonder is a beautiful ship, I would highly recommend taking her for a cruise.
FiveForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
jahber
DIS Veteran

We sailed Dream, Fantasy, Dream (all with verandahs) and then decided to take a chance on an inside on the Wonder to Alaska. It was amazing! My kids (6 and 9) loved it and my husband and I did, too. We spend a lot of time in the room and honestly didn't miss the verandah much. For one thing, it was too cold for us (we're Floridians) and for another, we could always pop up to an open deck. And it was extremely foggy several days of our trip, which meant the fog horn sounding every few moments. That apparently woke people in the higher decks with verandahs. It was LOUD!

In terms of the ship's condition, I was not at all disappointed. I did notice scuff marks on the white walls in the halls and rooms, but other than that, the ship looks great. She doesn't really feel much smaller to me (except for the atrium). My kids had a great time in the clubs and my husband and I liked catching up with friends in the Promenade Lounge. We liked the inside room enough to book 2 connecting insides for the 14-day westbound transatlantic on the Magic. We need two rooms because we will have a new addition to our family. Otherwise, we would be perfectly happy in one room.

Regarding the pools, I loved the layout on the Wonder. It was cold, but the kids were able to swim a couple of days, as long as they stayed in the water. So, in this regard, Alaska was perfect because they didn't miss the AquaDuck or Lab at all!

And honestly, I was happy to have a chance to see a classic ship in her original form. It was completely worth it for us! Happy cruising!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Apsychmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber
We sailed Dream, Fantasy, Dream (all with verandahs) and then decided to take a chance on an inside on the Wonder to Alaska. It was amazing! My kids (6 and 9) loved it and my husband and I did, too. We spend a lot of time in the room and honestly didn't miss the verandah much. For one thing, it was too cold for us (we're Floridians) and for another, we could always pop up to an open deck. And it was extremely foggy several days of our trip, which meant the fog horn sounding every few moments. That apparently woke people in the higher decks with verandahs. It was LOUD!

In terms of the ship's condition, I was not at all disappointed. I did notice scuff marks on the white walls in the halls and rooms, but other than that, the ship looks great. She doesn't really feel much smaller to me (except for the atrium). My kids had a great time in the clubs and my husband and I liked catching up with friends in the Promenade Lounge. We liked the inside room enough to book 2 connecting insides for the 14-day westbound transatlantic on the Magic. We need two rooms because we will have a new addition to our family. Otherwise, we would be perfectly happy in one room.

Regarding the pools, I loved the layout on the Wonder. It was cold, but the kids were able to swim a couple of days, as long as they stayed in the water. So, in this regard, Alaska was perfect because they didn't miss the AquaDuck or Lab at all!

And honestly, I was happy to have a chance to see a classic ship in her original form. It was completely worth it for us! Happy cruising!
I'm glad I can upon this thread. We are booked for our first DCL on the Dream in March and on impulse, I booked the Wonder for Alaska in July. I was thinking of postponing the Alaska trip til after the Wonder is re-imagined, but I didn't want to miss out traveling with my brother and his family this summer. It would be nice to see the Wonder in her original form since I imagine we will love our cruise and will be hooked
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

We experienced our first Classic ship on the Wonder to Alaska in June. I had been on the Dream twice and the Fantasy once so I knew it wouldn't be as "perfect" since she is an older ship. We all LOVED the Wonder and had no issues and felt right at home. Yes, you can see scrapes and imperfections if you look hard enough but it wasn't anything to complain or worry about. She is in great condition and the crew is SO friendly! I believe they won the award for the friendliest crew as our Cruise Director announced this during one of the shows.

Like other posters, we wanted to experience a true Classic Ship before any re-imagineering and we are so glad we got a chance to. We'll be on the re-imagined Magic in January and looking forward to it!

You'll have an awesome time on the Wonder - especially if sailing to Alaska!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Our first was the Dream and the second the Wonder. Both 5 nights. The Dream was bigger and more spacious for sure. At the same time the trip on the wonder was packed due to kids sail free.

But we did love both of them. The wonder also seemed more relaxed than the Dream for some reason.

Next will be the Magic and then the Fantasy.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
jahber
DIS Veteran

I also should have added that we sailed the September Alaska sailing, so there were only about 300 kids on board, as opposed to 600. This made everything better, from less crowded character lines to less crowded pools. On the other hand, my daughter did say she wished sometimes that there were more kids in the clubs. There were times we'd pick our kids up and there were maybe 10 kids, total, in the club or lab.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
egesicki
Mouseketeer

We loved the wonder after the dream. She is well maintained and the smaller size we saw as an advantage, more walkable, and fewer people.

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: