Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Just off the Wonder

We had a great time on our 7 day Wonder cruise to the Bahamas!

Things we loved:
Castaway Cay
Character meet and greets
Palo brunch
Our stateroom host (neal)
Live music each day
Golden Mickeys
Dreams
Room service coffee ( ordered at night for the next morning)
Baked Alaska dessert at Triton's
Banana French toast dessert at Parrot Cay
Making mocha frappes out of chocolate soft serve and coffee

Didn't love as much:
Flounder's Nursery- our 18 mo old hated it! There wasn't much for a walking toddler to do there. It got to the point of us walking by the door and he would burst into tears! The crew was wonderful, it just wasn't exciting enough for him. He would have enjoyed the time more in the kids club.

Splash Zone- too small for a full ship. It was the only place our DS could play.

Nassau- we lasted about 1 hour, then headed back to the ship.

Toy Story Musical - a little boring

Would we do it again?? Absolutely!!! But, we would wait until the kids are at least 3. They seem to get much more out of it.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip! We are sad to leave!
jasmine91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Welcome back Jasmine! I'll be on your cruise itinerary 3 weeks from today. How were the Halloween events? Was the movement of the ship impacted by the tropical storm?

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
Welcome back Jasmine! I'll be on your cruise itinerary 3 weeks from today. How were the Halloween events? Was the movement of the ship impacted by the tropical storm?
The halloween events were great! There was a Halloween deck party that we all loved! We did not stay up for the costume contests, but did all of the dance parties in costume and met the characters in their costumes as well.

Yes, we had one rough night from the storm when we encountered 15 ft waves. But, it was in the middle of the night, so we were in bed, thank goodness! It was not as bad as we thought it would be.

Have a great cruise!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
kjack89048
Mouseketeer

hi!

Totally trying your mocha coffee frappe idea in 3 weeks !!!!!
10/26/2013 - Disney Wonder - Bahamas
05/24/2014 - Disney Wonder Alaska
kjack89048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Glad you had a great trip. Question 1) what movies are showing in the boat 2) how was pirate night 3) what you do in Nassau? 4) How is the weather in the islands 5) what did you do in key west. This will be our first cruise with our girls. Most important question how did the Wonder look?
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
mawhite424
Mouseketeer

so glad you had a great time and that the storm didn't get in the way too much!

What time was the Halloween deck party? afternoon? evening?

mawhite424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amejiajr8 View Post
Glad you had a great trip. Question 1) what movies are showing in the boat 2) how was pirate night 3) what you do in Nassau? 4) How is the weather in the islands 5) what did you do in key west. This will be our first cruise with our girls. Most important question how did the Wonder look?
1.Monsters U
Planes
Lone Ranger
Brave
There were a few more, but I don't remember

2. Pirate night was fun. The deck party started at 9:45 and fireworks were at 10:15. A little late for the little ones... Ours crashed as soon as we got to deck 9 for the party. They serve a delicious dessert on the pirate menu - banana French toast with coconut ice cream!

3. Unfortunately we didn't stay long in Nassau. We just walked the town a bit and headed back. There was alot of pressure to take tours and buy things, which bugged us. But, many others went to Atlantis, Junkanoo beach, and I am sure other excursions. We loved being on the empty ship this day. Our son met so many characters with no lines at all!

4. Weather on the islands was hot! But, it did not bother us at Castaway. The water was so nice and we had such a great time.

5. At key west, we tried delicious conch fritters, ate key lime pie at kermits, and walked the city. We heard great things about butterfly world, but never made it there.

6. The wonder was BEAUTIFUL!!! We loved the ship!

Have a great trip!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

It sounds amazing. Thank you for the reply Glad you had a wonderful trip.
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
MemphisMickey
Mouseketeer

Did they have the character breakfast?
MemphisMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

Would you please post navigators if you get a chance. We leave next Sat on the Wonder. Thank you.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawhite424 View Post
so glad you had a great time and that the storm didn't get in the way too much!

What time was the Halloween deck party? afternoon? evening?
The deck party for Halloween was 7:30, I think..... It was shortly after our dinner. Then, they had another family dance party in studio sea later that night.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMickey View Post
Did they have the character breakfast?
Yes. You are assigned one day for a character breakfast at Parrot Cay. Ours was Thursday. The characters we saw for breakfast were Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy. They rotate around the restaurant and visit each table once. The kids loved it!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
jasmine91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyLovingFamily View Post
Would you please post navigators if you get a chance. We leave next Sat on the Wonder. Thank you.
I will try! We have a long drive home and plans this evening.. But, once I unpack, I will try to post!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine91 View Post

I will try! We have a long drive home and plans this evening.. But, once I unpack, I will try to post!
Thank you. Don't stress over it. We understand as we will have a 12 hour drive home ourselves. I would be happy to see one sea day navigator to get an idea. Safe travels.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

I just posted about the Halloween activities in the Fantasy Halloween thread. I'll copy it here at the end of this post.

We had a great cruise too.

We were a bit disappointed in the Halloween festivities. I mean, it was something extra, so no real complaints. It just seemed a little lackluster, sort of like an executive made a decision and didn't give his staff time or money to do it right.

There was a deck party, which was characters in costumes dancing and music. They did a costume "parade," but it was not really anything to write home about. Basically anyone who wanted to went up one staircase on Deck 9, up to Deck 10, walked across to the other side and back down to Deck 9. My family jumped out of the slowly sauntering line half way. It just seemed rather pointless.

There was a "Halloween Bash" in Studio Sea...again, a dance party. We left after about 20 minutes so I'm not sure what happened at the end. No characters while we were there.

The adult costume contest was at 10:30. Staff members had cards to hand out for "finalists" in each category. We arrived at 10:25 and all the cards had been given out, so anyone arriving on time wasn't called to the stage for a category. This resulted in some very good unique costumes being excluded and some very mediocre, store bought costumes coming forward. The club host did have all the others come forward for his choice, so that was nice. It also seemed like the staff didn't have a good grasp of their categories...Cleopatra in spookiest, Fiona in Most Disney, etc. I assume with some more experience they'll get that down better.

Unless i missed something, the awards for the costume contest were the same old Mickey medals. I've seen other cruise lines give out t-shirts, keychains, bottles of champagne, etc. They had Halloween merchandise for sale on the ship and that would have made great prizes, even if it was just for one grand prize award and not for each category.

The dining rooms had some amazing carved pumpkins and some other fun decorations. We were given a chocolate mousse spider at dinner that the kids loved, and it tasted great.

There were also some more minor Halloween things in the Navigator...family crafts and themed bingo.

We had a lot of fun dressing up, and we are happy for the opportunity. It just wasn't what we were expecting. Maybe we misunderstood, but everyone we talked to on board was under the impression that the kids would get to trick or treat. Instead we got a bag with a handful of candy in our room. The festivities were just not appropriate for our young children, who bore easily with the dance party concept (especially when pirate night the day before). With a family of 5, the costumes were a lot of work and luggage space. If we're we're to do it again, we'd all wear the animal masks available during one of the family craft times.
'84, '92-Beach Club, '97-DTD Hotel, 2005-POP, 2008-AKL/Poly, 2009-CR MK view, 2010-AKV-Kidani 2 BR, March 2012-ASMo, Sept 2012-Bonnet Creek 4 BR Presidential, 2013-Disney Magic 4n Western, Disney Wonder 7n Bahamian
Aggiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: