Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #46
wallskm
Mouseketeer

We just booked our Disney cruise Friday, and it's in 3 weeks! We have told our DS4 that we are going to the beach...he just doesn't know that we are going to have to take a ship to get there! We will do the Mickey call thing on the morning of. Honestly he doesn't even know that cruises exist! Can't wait to surprise him!
wallskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #47
Emzed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsoccermom View Post
I have done this twice, and had a blast both times! First time was for our 4 nt Dream cruise, Mar 2011. We were going to Kennedy Space Center 2 days earlier, then the cruise, then Universal for 2 days. 5 wks before, when we were in the,midst of an ice storm here, I gave them a treasure chest with Disney stuff inside (tattoos, pins, small Donald and Daisy, etc). There was also a puzzle to put together, of Mickey in front of a Disney ship, saying he invited them on the cruise! They were over the moon, and we had 5 wks of awesome planning

~
We are making a very similar trip this March (Kennedy Space Centre, Disney Magic, Universal and Legoland) and our children (DS5, DD7 and DD9) have no idea... yet. This is our fourth cruise and though we kind of surprised them before (puzzles, Christmas gift, trip DVD, etc) it was always a few month prior to the event. This will probably be the last one for awhile so the idea was to keep it a surprise right up until the end; kind of a pick-them-up-from-school-on-the-way-to-the-airport thing.
I'm just not sure. The surprise thing looks great on video but do the kids miss out by not looking forward to the trip? Does the fun of the surprise outweigh the fun of planning? To be fair there is not much actual planning that they do but they do enjoy having it to look forward to during the longest short month of winter (February) and trying on their swimsuits, getting out summer clothes and princess dresses and pirate costumes.
I like your idea of maybe some advance warning. We may give them a couple of weeks to prepare. Any suggestions?
Emzed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #48
txsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsoccermom
I have done this twice, and had a blast both times! ......

I am currently planning another surprise for our Christmas trip this year to WDW, along with a homemade movie using Windows Movie Maker. I plan on showing it to them the night before we leave in Dec, because they will miss 2 days of school and I don't want them to "check out" of their classes before then - LOL! I am using pics from our previous vacations. Will post when done - Don't know how I can ever top this one!!!

Have fun, no matter what you do~
So, don't know now what to do...ugh. Going to MVMCP night before we leave on the cruise, then back to parks for 2 days before we come home. Do I surprise them for the cruise 1st, maybe about 5 days earlier, and then shock them with flying out before then for MVMCP? Or do the surprise for MVMCP, and shock them at that for the cruise??? Hhhmmm. Any cool ideas from anyone? If so, would love to hear them!
DVC Members since 2012

txsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: