Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #31
oct2014
Mouseketeer

Great ideas! A word of warning ...

I kept an upcoming cruise a secret for over 9 months by having everything emailed/mailed/charged to me for all the reservations in our group. Then I made the final payment and did my paperwork, and within a week the trip insurance company (we purchased through DCL) sent documents to each home address except documents for those individuals in my stateroom which were emailed to me. DCL itself has continued to send all the documents to me, but the surprise was ruined for many in our group.

We've moved on (it's not like we could change plans at that point), but I wanted to share this hitch. If you have trip insurance, you might run into this problem. I had used a DU travel agent and she had never heard of that happening before, so I am not sure if an error occurred or if was just the timing of when I completed each step. Either way, I am glad that we had some other "surprises" in store for the trip. The primary one (assuming it isn't blown in the next few weeks) is that even though these individuals found out they are going on a cruise, they don't know about the rest of the group!
oct2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #32
j&jsmama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
What a cute family, they must have a handsome daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWJmkXAlE

With the way the port is in San Pedro, you cannot really see the ship till you get off the freeway right next to it. They covered their eyes through one traffic light, we pulled into the ferry parking, and then that happened. It worked well.
LOVED your video! We are surprising our kids right before Christmas with a New Years Dream cruise.... I was in tears with excitement watching your clip!
j&jsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
What a cute family, they must have a handsome daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWJmkXAlE

With the way the port is in San Pedro, you cannot really see the ship till you get off the freeway right next to it. They covered their eyes through one traffic light, we pulled into the ferry parking, and then that happened. It worked well.
This is awesome we did the exact same thing in the same place. My daughter was in shock. She didn't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7uUPlsyZrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrTwLJTeuHM
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
dara00
DIS Veteran

my husband surprised me on sunday, for my birthday! he wrote on my facebook page "my husband is the best. he surprised me with a disney cruise for my birthday." so it looked like I wrote it, but I didn't. when I got an email telling me I had a comment on my status, I was like, what status? and I clicked over and saw it. it was great.

my kids don't know. I'm thinking I'm going to give them a countdown as a hanukkah present. so they will see (xx) days till our disney cruise. and they will realize from that!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

dara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
natmom
Mouseketeer

We chose a photo of the disney dream from our last vacation and had it made into a 100 piece puzzle. We added a caption to the puzzle that reads 'family vacation may 2014'. The kids will receive the puzzle under the Christmas tree and they will have to put it together. We will see how long it takes them to pick up the '2014' part
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #36
FloridaDisneyGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
We chose a photo of the disney dream from our last vacation and had it made into a 100 piece puzzle. We added a caption to the puzzle that reads 'family vacation may 2014'. The kids will receive the puzzle under the Christmas tree and they will have to put it together. We will see how long it takes them to pick up the '2014' part
How did the surprise go?
FloridaDisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #37
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDisneyGirl View Post
How did the surprise go?

It was amazing! They were screaming when they figured it out. What is fun is that we will have the puzzle forever as well. I'm so glad they know now so I can talk about it!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
natmom
Mouseketeer

How did you surprise go? Have you been on the trip yet?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #39
FloridaDisneyGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
How did you surprise go? Have you been on the trip yet?
Pic hope you got a video!! Sounds fun

Our surprise plan was changed since we had missed the flight the night before due to weather/driving conditions. So that night from the airport hotel, we FaceTimed our families. When they answered, we held up the cruise documents. They all had suspicions but hadn't expected DCL! The best reaction though was embarkation when they were announced onboard. Watching their faces take it all in was worth all the planning (and scheming hehe).
FloridaDisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #40
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

WE are all big time planners so we usually make huge countdown calendars and make a big deal before each cruise. But, this March spring break is the same as my daughters bday and we decided to keep it a complete secret from all of the kids. WE are not going to tell them anything. We are going to pack when they are in school the week before, pack the trunk the night before and tell them that morning we need to go somewhere really boring. They are going to have NO idea until we reach the ship. I am SO excited about surprising them!!!

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #41
4Keowns
Are we there yet?

We didn't do it for a cruise but...... My grandparents always wanted to go to DC and just never had a chance. Our family were huge Trivial Pursuit buffs, so for one Christmas we had my uncle bring the game to our house and we 'played' a game. My mom said she had a prize for whoever won and we were all in on it so that Grandma and Grandpa won. The prize was a guide book for DC and the money for their airline tickets and hotel/food, etc. The funniest part was that some of the questions were SUPER easy and my Grandma kept getting upset because we kept missing questions she knew that we should have been able to answer correctly. Their expressions were priceless. If the kids are older you could set something like this up. Our girls will be 8 when we go in October...they haven't been told ANYTHING....I don't want to listen to it for 9 months. LOL. We haven't decided how we are going to tell them yet - probably when we get to the port. I can't wait to see how excited they are, either.

4Keowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #42
Cdnmom2001
Mouseketeer

We just surprised my kids at Christmas with their second Disney cruise! We had a picture dis'igned by another Dis member that had the details in the photo. Then I had the picture developed into a puzzle. So Christmas day came and I set up a treasure hunt. There were five bags(sachet) each they had to find by using the clues. Each bag had 3 pieces in them and I ensured (or thought I had) that nothing in the first 4 bags would truly give away the contents of what the puzzle read. My son on the first piece says "oh Disney cruise" I said what?!?!? He saw a tail end of the boat, but he didn`t realize what it meant. They were so excited by going around and locating things by the clues and then trying to put the puzzle together. So at the very end they were able to put it together and they were so excited, however not as excited as I anticipated, but that soon changed as they day went on. Here is the puzzle we had made for us....

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...beachdream.jpg
Mr. A -- 8 and awesome
Surprise Trip for the kids Disney Dream Cruise --April 27, 2014 - May 1st, 2014! stateroom #8188 !!! Kids are going to freak out Christmas morning
2nd Family Disney trip, May 2012 which included Magic Kindgom, Seaworld Discovery Cove and a 4 night Disney Dream Cruise, stateroom 9662, beyond incredible trip!!!

First Family Trip to Disney 2009 stayed on site at CBR, 5 days in the parks and truly 1st trip incredible memories that we will have for a lifetime
Cdnmom2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #43
CruiseKris
Earning My Ears

We tried surprising our kids on their first cruise last year, but they had no idea what the big thing (Dream) was next to us when we pulled into the port. We also had a call from Mickey that day too scheduled. Now that they know what a cruise is, I am yet again planning a surprise next month. We will be vacationing in Cocoa Beach for the week before our departure, but instead of heading to the airport on our final day we will be once again surprising them at the port.
CruiseKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #44
beepdave
Earning My Ears

Our big surprise is about to go down on Tuesday! I told our 9 yo son that I don't have work Monday because of a meeting, but it is final packing day! The next day he's going to school until lunch time and he knows I'm picking him up early, but he guessed it was for a dentist appointment! He loves the dentist! I just didn't confirm nor deny. LOL When we pick him up, we are on our way to the airport! We'll tell him that we are going to Florida (we went to Destin when he was 4 for my sister's wedding) and plan to have the big boat reveal the next morning at port (we are sailing the Wonder.) I might still have Mickey call as we arrive at port. Haven't decided that part yet.

I just can't believe it's finally here after a year of planning!! I have never been so excited for something in my life (and I've been to WDW twice as an adult!) I'll be excited to share our adventures next week!
beepdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #45
txsoccermom
DIS Veteran

I have done this twice, and had a blast both times! First time was for our 4 nt Dream cruise, Mar 2011. We were going to Kennedy Space Center 2 days earlier, then the cruise, then Universal for 2 days. 5 wks before, when we were in the,midst of an ice storm here, I gave them a treasure chest with Disney stuff inside (tattoos, pins, small Donald and Daisy, etc). There was also a puzzle to put together, of Mickey in front of a Disney ship, saying he invited them on the cruise! They were over the moon, and we had 5 wks of awesome planning

Second time, was 2 mos before our June 2012 Fantasy cruise. I had a note from Captain Mickey that someone on the DISboards made, and put it in the Golden Egg for their egg hunt on Easter! They were beyond shocked, but also extremely excited!!!!

I am currently planning another surprise for our Christmas trip this year to WDW, along with a homemade movie using Windows Movie Maker. I plan on showing it to them the night before we leave in Dec, because they will miss 2 days of school and I don't want them to "check out" of their classes before then - LOL! I am using pics from our previous vacations. Will post when done - Don't know how I can ever top this one!!!

Have fun, no matter what you do~
DVC Members since 2012

txsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: