Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
We took a cruise on the Dream in January. We surprised my son 13 year old son 3 times with 1 cruise. First, we surprised him on Christmas morning with a birthday cruise on "Royal Caribbean". I had learned that Freedom of the Seas was leaving PC on the same day that we were, so that helped my plan. I even printed up phony documents. Secondly, we told him that we were leaving 1 week later than we were. So, the day before the cruise, we surprised him and announced that we were leaving NOW. And finally, the next day when we arrived at the port, we drove up to where DCL embarks to "check out" the Dream up close. That's when the 3rd surprise came. We then announced that it was time to unload the car because this, was the ship that we were sailing on.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.
That's awesome.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
elbaseball212
Earning My Ears

a

Last edited by elbaseball212; 10-07-2013 at 01:07 PM.
elbaseball212 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
KansasFroggie
My family thinks I need Disney Intervention

We are taking my parents in May. We have ordered a fish extender to wrap up for them at Christmas. It has their names on it and we've signed them up for the FE group.
KansasFroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

how about blindfolds and a limo.

Since everyone's in Florida, meet one of the homes to meet at, load everyone and their luggage into a stretch limo or bus. Hand out the blindfolds and tell the driver to go!
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
mynameisnobody
Which golf cart is mine? They all look the same.

I am working on surprising my daughters (18 & 20) with their second cruise on the Wonder this December. I had already booked a cruise on a Carnival ship for the same week. I decided just before final payment to book with DCL. I just told them I had changed the ships and port since Galveston is about 3 hours closer than NOLA. I haven't actually said what ship we are sailing. Just a vague reference that Royal also sailed out of Galveston but not ACTUALLY saying we were on a RC ship. I also used this to fabricate the idea that they have a Pirate themed night so the girls could get their pirate costumes prepped. Only other thing I need to do right before the cruise is find their pins and ears and pack them away so they'll be available. I would die a most horrible death if my DD 20 was on Disney property without her pins. She worked in the college program at WDW this spring and became a pin trading maniac. It didn't help that she work in merchandise in Downtown Disney. So far I'm not getting many questions. They've cruised enough that it isn't something new but they've been REALLY wanting another DCL cruise since our first 3 years ago. If all goes well they won't know we are sailing on the Wonder until we arrive at the pier to board on 12/14.

Disneyland - 1965, 1970, 1983, 2008
WDW - 1998, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013x3
Tokyo Disney - 2008, 2014?
DCL Wonder - 2010, 2013
mynameisnobody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
caribear
I love WDW!

We surprised our kids, DD11 and DS6, with a cruise on the Fantasy in April. I had emailed their teachers in advance to discuss taking them out of school for the week and made sure to tell them this was a surprise and not to say a peep. My kids had been wanting to go "on the Disney ship" for some time, but I kept telling them we did not have the funds to go. We live about 1 1/2 hours from Port Canaveral.....so it was a little easier for us to surprise them. We also booked the cruise only 2 weeks out from the sail date...so it was easier to keep it a secret! I was able to join a last minute FE group and started making Disney hair bows, coasters, keychains, ect....My kids did ask what they were for and I told them I was going to sell them at a craft show. We then made plans to go to Cocoa Beach for the day. I packed up all the kids clothes while they were at school and they had no idea what was going on. So we got ready to go to the beach on Saturday morning. Of course my DD11 wanted to know why we weren't taking the beach umbrella, chairs or a cooler with food. I told her we were going to an all inclusive place on the beach that had chairs/umbrellas and it was all included for our day. I also mentioned we would be able to see the Disney Fantasy leave port...to which she replied "Oh, I wish we were going on the ship!" I had them dressed in their Disney clothes....but no one had any idea of what was about to happen. When we went over the bridge and the Fantasy was in sight I made sure to point it out to the kids. We then pulled over on the side of the road and asked my DD11 to read us the directions to our "beach day" location. I had handed her the cruise schedule out of the spiral bound book in which the cruise documents come in. My husband turned on the camcorder and she was so confused. She said "This says the Disney Fantasy?" My DS6 caught on faster and said "We are going on a Disney Cruise!!??" They were both shocked and had tons of questions. My DH and I could not believe we pulled it off! It was really wonderful and I hope we can surprise them again soon!!
Disney Magic 2/6/10 - Western Caribbean 8 night adventure!, Disney Wonder - Bahamas 5/06, Caribbean Princess- Eastern Caribbean 12/05, Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Pre-Honeymoon cruise 03/01, Carnival Sensation- Western Caribbean 9/98
caribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

I also did a Christmas morning surprise. I wrapped four 'clues' and put them way at the back of the tree so they were the last gifts of the morning. I had them open them in this order:

Gift #1: Calendar with our vacation date circled.
Gift #2: Starfish ornament
Gift #3: Glass ornament of a ship inside a life buoy.
Gift #4: DCL brochure and DVD

There was much excitement and shock!!

That was 2009, and I'm doing it again this Christmas so I love the other ideas.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Just How Far did we get with our "Cruise Surprise"?

This was our cruise surprise experience in 2006. Procedures of course have changed since then.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post43316760

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #24
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

Im trying to come up with an idea now to surprise my 3 kids 10, 17, 21. We went on a Disney vaca 3 years ago and surprised them at Christmas with a scavenger hunt that didnt go over very well.

They knew we were planning a vacation but didnt know where and the outcome was "oh we knew it" and didnt go until May, so that was a bust. We've kept this so far from them for almost 2 years when we booked and should be a huge shock.

The only thing Ive thought of since we're going for Xmas and is a huge part of their present this year is to buy the small version of the Fantasy Ship and wrap it in a Christmas box delivered by Santa early. I also saw a cute magnet idea on Ebay with Xmas vacation with the Fantasy ship in the background with the date on it. I just want this surprise to go over better than the last one.
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

We are taking our four daughters on their 2nd Disney Cruise (7-Day Western) on the Fantasy in 5 weeks. Little do they know that we have already booked a 4-Day Bahama Cruise on the newly re-imagined Disney Magic for Springbreak of next year. We have never done anything special for them during their Springbreak so this will be a total surprise. They have always complained each year that they are bored every day during Spring Break so I am going to play that angle up the week prior to the cruise by mentioning things around the house they can do to keep themselves amused during that long boring week. We have a call from Mickey coming in the day before the cruise and when they answer it and it mentions the cruise, I can't wait to see their faces light up with excitement. We plan on video taping it because this will probably be the only chance we will ever have to surprise them with something this great. It is going to be so hard to keep this secret for 6 1/2 months.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
FloridaDisneyGirl
Earning My Ears

So my husband and I decided how we plan to surprise our families in a few weeks! It was tricky because the youngest person is 23 and both of our mothers can be quite inquisitive and sharp when suspecting something might be going on...

We fly in the night before our cruise to my mother's. Our families live a few hours apart, so we plan to tell them that we will meet at a specified location in cocoa beach so that my husband's parents, who are a little older, can follow us the rest of the way to the resort "so they don't get lost." They would come up I-95 and we would come across I-4, so it's a naturally perfect meeting spot.

At this point, I can guarantee my mom will request a car shuffle and invite his parents to ride with us since they had just driven a few hrs (Our brothers would drive the other car and this is fine because they are the only two who know it's a "Carnival" cruise for school/passport reasons).

Then we just drive to port as if nothing is going on and wait for the realization to settle in! I wanted to do a little back and forth with my husband - he wants to see the ships and I say we are behind schedule for the rode trip and need to get a move on...but we admit that we wouldn't be able to deliver a convincing performance because we are just too excited.

Fingers crossed!
FloridaDisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

We surprised our kiddos Christmas 2011 for our Jan 21st cruise in 2012. There was a photo puzzle made up saying "cruising the magic" with our cruise dates and the puzzle pieces were in all four stockings so they had to work together to make it. They were so excited

This time around, they know about the cruise but not that we're going on debarkation day right to the Magic Kingdom for the day (their first visit to Disney parks!)
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
Jbosak
Earning My Ears

We surprised our DS7 and DS2 while on the way to Port Canaveral for our 3 Night Bahamas Cruise (Oct 10,2013.) They were so excited, but everything went so fast, I wish they had known for longer!

Jodi
Jbosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #29
allbrobower
Earning My Ears

We plan on surprising my DDs ( 7 and 11) with our fantasy cruise in May - I'm super excited and we already would have plans for the surprise in motion :-) plan on picking them up from school and driving straight to the airport to get to Florida. First, we plan on telling them that we are going to the beach for a long weekend and then will surprise them with driving to the cruise terminal
allbrobower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

What a cute family, they must have a handsome daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWJmkXAlE

With the way the port is in San Pedro, you cannot really see the ship till you get off the freeway right next to it. They covered their eyes through one traffic light, we pulled into the ferry parking, and then that happened. It worked well.
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: