Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
jimim
DIS Veteran

Alaska 2015

We haven't been on a disney cruise in over 8 years. For our 10th we were thinking of taking the kids with us on one.

I got a few questions.

1. First am I crazy to take a 3 year old and a 5 year old to Alaska on a cruise?
2. I assume we would need a family veranda room vs regular veranda room?
3. Over the years are the months and time the 7 vs 9 day travel the same? I'm looking at 2014 for instance.
4. Why is the 9 day less than the 7 day? is it because the time of the year? may vs say July?

I think thats all I got for now! i appreciate it!

Oh ya. . . opinions of the cruise vs other ports of call!

jimi

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
We haven't been on a disney cruise in over 8 years. For our 10th we were thinking of taking the kids with us on one.

I got a few questions.

1. First am I crazy to take a 3 year old and a 5 year old to Alaska on a cruise?
2. jimi
Yes, I think you would be. IMHO, the 3 year old would be too young for the Alaska cruise.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

1. I haven't taken anyone that young to Alaska, but plenty of people do. I think it depends on your expectations. If you want family time and are willing to skip excursions that the young ones can't do, then you're good. If you are OK leaving the little ones onboard while doing an adult excurions, you're good. If either of those scenarios would be a problem, you might reconsider until they are older.

2. Regular verandah room sleeps 3 or 4, family verandah rooms sleeps 4 or 5. There are a few additional feet more in the family room, but you could fit into a regular. Your choice. Some people prefer even more space and book two connecting rooms.

3-4. I think this was the first time a 9-day has been offered for a few select cruises. Price difference likely due to the dates -- the 9-days were in May before most schools let out; the summer cruises tend to be higher priced due to popularity during school vacations.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Crazy? No.

Are they going to 'appreciate' Alaska? Probably not. Hell there are adults who don't.

Will it be an awesome family vacation? YES. YES. YES. Frankly that is the most important question.

Regular veranda should be more than enough. Our first cruise on the Wonder was when the girls were 6 & 2. There was tons of room. Did a 4A on the Dream. Extra space was nice but wasn't worth the extra $$$ for us.

Haven't done AK. Yet. We have Bermuda :-) booked for next summer, only downside of which is that it is not DCL :-( Just be kind and post lots of pictures for us.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I dont think your crazy. Leave the kids in the club and go explore! As far as appreciating it...yay another moose...yay another mountain...yay salmon for dinner...again....Sorry I'm burned out Southeast is a wonderful place and is as enjoyable as you make it!

Clint
Anchorage, AK
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
jimim
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone.

Can someone explain the regular non family veranda room for 4 then? Queen and pullout right? Is the pullout for 1 or 2? I'm thinking of dvc rooms with that single sleeper pullout? How would we do it then? One of the kids in bed with us?

Salmon every night! I'm game! I'm on the east coast and I order my salmon from pike's place in Seattle. I don't touch Atlantic salmon! Only west coast! Deff won't get sick of that! Lol

I totally forgot about the clubs. My daughter would have a ball prob. She loves kids. Makes friends in the wackiest places even now at 3. My son who knows still only 1 but deff loves being Aron's peolole even if new.

My parents mentioned they would go with is. My wife would love it actually. They r close. Seemed weird cause it's our 10 year but most people I work with today though taking our kids was weird. It's not like we need this romantic cruise. We r a family. We do everything together. It doesn't bother us.

Pics won't be a problem. I love through my glass in Disney! Lol. Still even after all these many years and trip!

Jimi

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Thanks everyone.

Can someone explain the regular non family veranda room for 4 then? Queen and pullout right? Is the pullout for 1 or 2? I'm thinking of dvc rooms with that single sleeper pullout? How would we do it then? One of the kids in bed with us?

Salmon every night! I'm game! I'm on the east coast and I order my salmon from pike's place in Seattle. I don't touch Atlantic salmon! Only west coast! Deff won't get sick of that! Lol

I totally forgot about the clubs. My daughter would have a ball prob. She loves kids. Makes friends in the wackiest places even now at 3. My son who knows still only 1 but deff loves being Aron's peolole even if new.

My parents mentioned they would go with is. My wife would love it actually. They r close. Seemed weird cause it's our 10 year but most people I work with today though taking our kids was weird. It's not like we need this romantic cruise. We r a family. We do everything together. It doesn't bother us.

Pics won't be a problem. I love through my glass in Disney! Lol. Still even after all these many years and trip!

Jimi

The rooms that sleep 4 on the Wonder have a queen bed (can be separated into twins), sleeper sofa (sleeps 1) and a pull down bunk (above sofa - sleeps 1). The sofa doesn't pull out like a typical sleeper sofa (sleeping 2 people). It is like a Pullman bed on a train, the back of the sofa flips down over the seat, the mattress is in the back of the sofa.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
amyg1
Mouseketeer

Most of the salmon onboard is Atlantic. Taste of Alaska night is Alaskan Salmon, but it wasn't that good. You can do a salmon bake in one of the ports, but don't expect amazing salmon onboard.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

If your parents are coming get the connecting rooms and the kids will run back and forth. FIL has been next door on all our cruises. He loves it. They love it. Gives you more space as well. With the balconies open as well they will do laps.

And since it will be your 10th, make sure to book Palo for just the 2 of you.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsrule View Post
If your parents are coming get the connecting rooms and the kids will run back and forth. FIL has been next door on all our cruises. He loves it. They love it. Gives you more space as well. With the balconies open as well they will do laps.

The partitions between the balconies on the Wonder do not open.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If your parents are coming get the connecting rooms and the kids will run back and forth. FIL has been next door on all our cruises. He loves it. They love it. Gives you more space as well. With the balconies open as well they will do laps. And since it will be your 10th, make sure to book Palo for just the 2 of you.
so u can actually request that. Not like when at the hotels at checkin? U can do it before hand?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If your parents are coming get the connecting rooms and the kids will run back and forth. FIL has been next door on all our cruises. He loves it. They love it. Gives you more space as well. With the balconies open as well they will do laps. And since it will be your 10th, make sure to book Palo for just the 2 of you.
lol. I know about palo! We won't miss that. When we were just going out that was our fav to try in get in more than once in a trip.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
jimim
DIS Veteran

Guys thanks for all the great great advice. So when will dates come out for 2015 historically? Beginning of 2014? Or is it random? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The partitions between the balconies on the Wonder do not open.
It sounded like the poster was advising the OP to get connecting rooms, which the kids would be able to easily go back and forth between the rooms through the connecting door.

Quote:
The difference between the two rooms is the fact that the cat 4 family veranda rooms have additional space for a murphy bed that comes out between the end of the sofa and the veranda. The rooms in that class that sleep only 4 do not have the upper bunk. If you don't want one of the kids in the bunk, this would be the best option for you.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
It sounded like the poster was advising the OP to get connecting rooms, which the kids would be able to easily go back and forth between the rooms through the connecting door.
I was responding to the following (in red):

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: