Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
MickeySP
DIS Veteran

so far an undefeated season!!!!!!

it also felt kinda wrong cheering Iginla
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
stevea20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Okay - more recent history since the '05 lockout, the Bruins are 2-4-1 against Detroit, but that's playing 7 games over 8 seasons totally 662 games. The last time the Bruins played Detroit, two years ago, Detroit DID win - in a Shoot-out.

In the playoffs, the two teams haven't faced off against each other since 1957 - 56 YEARS AGO - a series in which the Bruins WON.
I'll admit I'm ranting for ranting sake, but did you read your own comment? 2-4-1, is that a winning record? My math says no. And, as you pointed out correctly, they haven't played each other in the playoffs in decades, so how does results from the 40's and 50's show any relevance?

Let's see how this season goes. I'll gladly take the comment back if they can beat the Wings with regularity and not have any embarrassments like that pre-season game.
stevea20 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post
I'll admit I'm ranting for ranting sake, but did you read your own comment? 2-4-1, is that a winning record? My math says no. And, as you pointed out correctly, they haven't played each other in the playoffs in decades, so how does results from the 40's and 50's show any relevance?

Let's see how this season goes. I'll gladly take the comment back if they can beat the Wings with regularity and not have any embarrassments like that pre-season game.
Yes, it's not a winning record, but how can you consider a sample size of 7 games over the last decade as meaning that the Bruins can't handle Detroit?

The Bruins were 28-14-6 last year and made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.
The Red Wings were 24-16-8 and got bounced in the second round. Should you really be intimidated by that?

Look, I'm not a Bruins fan, I'm a Sabres fan, and my team sucks. But I say "bring on Detroit". If you are going to be the best team, you have to at some point beat out the other best teams. If that means taking on Detroit four times this year instead of 2, or meeting them in the second round of the playoffs, then so be it.

As a hockey fan, I myself would totally LOVE to see a Bruins/Red Wings series. I can't think of a matchup I would look forward to more.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Good luck.

as long as you finish behind the Habs that is.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
stevea20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Yes, it's not a winning record, but how can you consider a sample size of 7 games over the last decade as meaning that the Bruins can't handle Detroit?
I never said they couldn't compete consistently with Detroit, just they couldn't win consistently. A shootout loss is still a loss.

I agree it's a small sample size and I also will look forward to a series matchup, I just don't have good feelings about it.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeySP View Post
so far an undefeated season!!!!!!

it also felt kinda wrong cheering Iginla
You're not alone in that. I don't know if this came through on TV or not. But there were more than a few boos for him during the team intro's. But those boos were short lived. Once Iggy landed his first overhand right, the crowd erupted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post

You should never apologized for "ranting for ranting's sake". That's what the internet was invented for. Public bathroom walls were running out of space in which to write and people still needed a public forum. So... For a good time call...... WHOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!

I mean, Detroit... I was always against them coming to the east. Not just so much for the impact on the Bruins. But I felt that they needed to stay in the west so they would have 2 Original-6 teams and because they were key rivals for the Av's, Blues and 'Hawks. That's not to say that I don't fear them in the Bruins' division, for 2 very good reasons. 1) Detroit is a perennial playoff (if not Stanley Cup) contender; 2) They now have former Senator, constant Bruins headache Daniel Alfredsson. It will be a tough road.

Back to last night, it was a great game to watch. There were some real exciting moments. The penalty shot to start the scoring for the season (TOTALLY faked out Lindback). Iggy getting the crowd on his side with his fight. Loui constantly taking the body and picking pockets throughout the game. The bullet that Looch fired to take a 2-1 lead. And the short-handed goal that Bergy had. No just because he got the goal, but also because Krug kept pace, in case he didn't.

I did have a few problems with it though. First... That was a QUICK WHISTLE. Caron was robbed. And I'm sorry. But Helen Keller could see that the puck was still in play. And it's too bad too. The way he played last night, it was like he never wanted to see Rte. 95 ever again. And speaking of the refs, 2 seperate 5 on 3's for over 1:50 each. Come on. Another problem I had wasn't with the players on the ice, but the ice itself. That ice was wet. Early on, I was saying to BDLsgal "The puck doesn't seem to be reacting how the players want." Then I noticed how shiny the ice was staying even 7-10 min into the periods. I don't know if they had an issue with the cooling system, or if they turned it down so the ice stayed shiny for the NHL Network, but it definitely affected play. My final issue, is with the crowd. It's not that they were too rowdy or not rowdy enough. But it seemed like they weren't really invested, except for the 300's. This was evidenced by the streams of people that were leaving with 3+ minutes left in the game. At least 15% of the crowd left at that point. When seats started emptying, BDLsgal said "What's wrong with these people? Did they not see that Toronto game last year?" This sentiment was repeated after we left (after the 3 stars), and were on the ride home. A guy called into Adam Jones on 98.5 and brought it up. The caller was worried that the "pink hats" may have returned like in the 09-10 season. But Pac-Man made a good point. Odds are, that a lot of people that left early, were there just because they wanted to be there for opening night. Not for the game itself. I can buy that theory.

To get back to Detroit for a minute. I'm excited to be going to the game tomorrow night. Not just because 2 great teams are going to be playing. Not just because it me be the birth of a new rivalry. But also because I want to see how Detroit's fan base travels, especially for a weekend game. And I wonder how many will be coming from the Det/Car game tonight. Should be fun.

In closing, GREAT NEWS that Peter inked Seidenberg for 4 more years. The length of the deal may be up for debate. But there is no debating that if Ference got what he did in Edmonton, what would another young, offensive based team pay for a shut down D-man with Stanley Cup experience? Especially if Ference can help the Oilers to get into the 2nd rd. The fantasy players may have no idea who Seidenberg is, but you can bet there were more than a few NHL GM's crying themselves to sleep last night.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
BDL
DIS Veteran

It was a great day on Saturday. BDLsgal and I started the day by just walking around Faneuil Hall and picking up a few things. Then I got to catch up with an old friend from the corner of bars where I used to bounce. After we dropped off our wares, at the car, we began to walk to the Garden, to see the Bruins take on their newest in-division rival, the Detroit Red Wings. Along the way, we came across a father and son trying to find their way to the game (the dad's GPS app on his phone, had them walking on Rte. 93N). They had asked if they could follow us, and we said sure. They had try to follow a group of black sweaters in hopes of getting toe the Garden, but after a short while, that group had turned into a bar. That ended that. As we were walking, we found out that they were from Maine and the kid was playing in a tournament down here. And it turned out that someone, knew somebody, who knew someone that had a sky box. So the whole team got to see the game.

Speaking of the game itself, IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

It's been a while since the Bruins had such a one sided offensive showing. Not just an offensive showing, but a dominant offensive showing. The B's outshot the Wings 16 to 4 in the 1st period and 37 to 26 overall. And the power play unit made the score sheet. Converting 2 of 4 pp's. A slap shot from Krug accounted for 1, and Chara showing his agility and stick handling skills dancing in front of the net, the other. Marchand rifled 1 for his 1st of the year and Caron got his 1st (should be 2nd) goal. And I loved his "I'm not going to Providence yet" double-pump goal celebration. Another indication of the offense was the 7 helpers from 6 different players (Lucic with 2).

Now I'm not going to get too excited just yet. This could have been just a case of Howard having a bad game. The Wings had played the night before, and the Krug and Marchand goals were the type that he can usually snag. Especially when unscreened. But I'll take the win. The Bruins are now 2nd in the division behind (can't believe I'm saying this) the 1st place, undefeated Toronto Maple Leafs.

The only negative I could take away Saturday, is that after 2 games, Dougie has reverted to his powder puff checking again. Even though he shook loose of it towards the end of last yr, and bulked up in the off season, he's still not going all-in when trying to throw his body around. I think if he can't get it back, we're going to see more of Bartkowski in the rotation.

In regards to the Garden itself, 2 of the problems that I mentioned before have been rectified. Unfortunately, a new 1 has emerged. Possibly more sinister than the other 2. First, the problems with the ice and the "pink hats" were not present during the Detroit game. The ice was solid and no puddles. The only fans that left early, were wearing red and white sweaters. And kudos to you Wings fans. You had a fairly sizable, and definitely vocal, representation at the Garden. The new problem I have, is that twice, not once, but TWICE, Katy Perry's "Roar" was played. Once as the single, and once by the organist (did no one pay attention when the Bengals tried this?). I can only hope that Cam Neely will have a Reggie Dunlop moment like THIS .

The B's have a long lull before they face the Av's, in what I think will be a preview of the Stanley Cup Finals. I hate long lulls at the beginning of the season. Just means more games grouped together at the end of the season. The Avalanche have the same record as the B's right now. But will play the Leafs tomorrow night. Should be a good barometer for both teams. Can't wait for Thursday.

In closing, I have a philosophical question for you all. Is it still considered a "selfy" if you take a picture of yourself on the jumbo-tron? It was just a question I asked BDLsgal at the game on Saturday. Neither of us were sure.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
The B's have a long lull before they face the Av's, in what I think will be a preview of the Stanley Cup Finals. I hate long lulls at the beginning of the season. Just means more games grouped together at the end of the season. The Avalanche have the same record as the B's right now. But will play the Leafs tomorrow night. Should be a good barometer for both teams. Can't wait for Thursday.
It's been a while since the last B's game. But the Leafs Av's game was last night. And, as I thought, it was a pretty evenly matched contest. But in the end, RD 1 went to the Av's (Btw, if Parenteau is available in your fantasy league, SNAG HIM!). And the Av's have done nothing yet to disuade me from thinking they will be the Western Conf's representative to Stanley Cup Finals. 3 versatile lines with a hard-nosed penalty killing 4th line; selfless D-men that stick to their roles; and consistent goaltending. Let me know if any of that sounds familiar or scares you. I know it does me. Especially when Landeskog gets his stride back.

And this is where we are at tomorrow night. The Av's come into the Garden. Which will mean exactly 2 things. 1) We will see the guy that has the 1/2 Av's, 1/2 B's Bourque sweater on TV at least a dozen times. More if the game is broadcast on NBCSports. And 2) this will be the first time the B's will face a rested Cup contender. I'm not totally discounting the Red Wings game. But that was the 2nd of back-to-back road games. Allowances can be made.

In other news, Soderberg still hasn't skated with the team, since hurting his ankle. This will allow Caron at least 1 more game to cement his place with the big team or possibly up his trade value. In either case, he will continue the hard charge every minute he's on the ice.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
stevea20
Mouseketeer

Hope nobody minds if I get off topic for a moment but I gotta say that last night's Red Sox game was enough to give me an ulcer. I really thought they had blown it in the second inning when they got nothing with the bases loaded and no outs, in particular when Salty could have bunted a run in with the shift on. But it turned out OK.

Now, back to the Bruins. It's killing me that I haven't seen a game yet. Yeah I did DVR the Tampa game but it's not the same when you know what going to happen. Still, they've looked good in the first two games.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
BDL
DIS Veteran

No one said that the Bruins would have a perfect season. And last Thursday, the Av's outright said "No." Though I had mentioned other positive attributes about Colorado... HOLY GOD!!! That team was fast. They turned a rebound, into transition, into a break-away/2-on-1 in less than 2 sec. Also, J.S. Giguere had a game that we hadn't seen out of him in years. He went 39 for 39 in net. It is almost impossible to ask him to play at that level every game. But it certainly makes Roy's job easier. Now, he won't have to feel like he'll have to ride Varlamov into the ground throughout the season. He has seen that his backup goalie can rise to the occassion and can go into to the playoffs with an un-taxed #1 and a very capable #2. As for the Bruins, I have no idea why everyone was hanging out at the perimeters in the offensive zone. They were set up like they were the carts at the 3-point contest. There was never a pressence in front of the net. And the physicallity was definitely down. Granted, when a player has 2 strides on you, it can be tough to get a body on someone. But if you are getting your body on them in the 1st place, they might not get those strides. Tuukka had very little in the way of help, but still put in his usual stellar effort. End of the day, Av's beat the Bruins 1-0.

Before I get to Saturday's game, let's talk about something that will make listening to Felger and Mazz today, TOTALLY insufferable. That is Seguin's 4 point night against the Jets. When I heard that on Saturday morning, I could already hear Felger's smug, "I told you so" tone. Nevermind the fact that he was completely wrong about Thornton, Chara, Bergeron, Claude and Marshmont. But I digress...

Saturday's game pretty much picked up where Thursday's left off. Columbus scored the 1st goal of the game. A PP goal with barely more than 1 minute to go in the 1st period. From this point, I didn't get to see the rest of the game live, because I had to drop off some food at my sister's, who just and surgery, and then I had 4pm mass. But when I saw the Bruins In 2 (thank you NESN), I was impressed by what I saw. Kelly blasting 1 from a mile away. And then Ericksson netting his 1st goal as a Bruin, by lifting a back-hand past Bobrovsky (at least this will make Felger slightly less smug). The B's got a 3rd goal thanks to an empty netter by Lucic. Besides the win, something else to take away from this game, was how much tighter the defense was with Bartkowski in there versus Hamilton. Bart did have 1 huge mistake, but he locked it up after that and kept everyone in front of him or to the boards. I'm not bashing on Hamilton. I would just rather see him get seasoned 1st in Providence.

Today is the Red Wings at 1pm. With all the events that happened yesterday, is there anyone that will leave tha Garden or turn their TV off, even if the B's are losing 4-1 with 2:00 remaining in the 3rd? Brady to Thompkins with 5 sec left... "Senor October", Big Papi stepping up again... For those who missed Zo's touchdown call (or just want to hear it again and again), HERE is the audio. How do you think a Bruins game being called by Zo and Jack would go? And would either of them survive?

Face-off is at 1pm. "Unicorns!!!! Show ponies!!!! Where's the BEEF?!?!"

Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
stevea20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Face-off is at 1pm. "Unicorns!!!! Show ponies!!!! Where's the BEEF?!?!"
I know I'm being unfair but those phrases are why I can't stand listening to Zo. Gino did the job with enthusiasm, but also a quiet dignity. Zo has none.

Have you seen the thread about the Tigers? It's very quiet this morning.

GO B's!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
BDL
DIS Veteran

Where else but Disboards is a Cinderella analogy more appropriate, but the clock did strike 12 on the streak of Boston sports teams coming back to win in dramatic fashion. Too bad, too. I would've loved to have my prediction go right (I'd have quit my job and gone to Foxwoods and try my luck there). Though the game was a 3-2 win for Detroit, the game was no where near that close on the ice. Th B's were 0 for 5 on PP and were out blocked 22 to 4. To me, that spells that they are still hanging out by the perimeter too much. it's tougher to bang in rebounds when you are 25' away from the net. But dispite the Bruins' deficiencies, there was still hope when Looch got the B's within 1, with 80 seconds left. But even with desperation looming, the Bruins still gave "Monster" a clear line of sight at the shots that were coming his way.

They are going to have to learn to collapse on the net. Especially tonight. Because tonight, they are saying hi to an old friend. It has already been announced that Tim Thomas will be starting in net for the Quebec Panth... Wait... That's next year. Tim Thomas will be starting in net for the FLORIDA Panthers. Besides Timmy, the Panthers also have Brad Boyes, Kris Versteeg and old friend Scott Gomez. The Panthers also have Calder hopeful Aleksander Barkov, who at 2-3-5, would be tied with Looch for the team lead in points on the Bruins.

Face-off tonight at 7:30.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
BDL
DIS Veteran

Ummmm.... Not sure if anyone else had read about this yet, but, apperently Miley Cyrus is now the unofficial mascot of the Leafs. You cane read the Puck Daddy article HERE . It must've been a condition that Lucifer threw in for the deal they made to have the season that they've been having so far.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #29
BDL
DIS Veteran

After a lack luster game against Detroit, the Bruins decided to show up enough to sweep both Florida teams. First the got reaquainted with Timmy in white pads. I understand why Subban had white pads in the pre-season. He wasn't 100% sure where he'd be playing. But Timmy in the all white pads reminded me of John Blue, way back when. He had been on so many teams that he just bought all black pads so he wouldn't have to keep updating/breaking in pads. But, this is probably just another case of Timmy being Timmy. And he was just that. He did not have a great 1st period. But, except for a lapse in judgement, with a minute to go in the game, Timmy shut the door in the 2nd & 3rd. And the youth movement that they have on the team is legit. Depending on when Timmy gets his legs back and if they can get some solid D-men, FLA could compete for the 7th or 8th slot, in the East.

Then in the Saturday game, the B's rediscovered what can happen if you put people around the net. You can create screens. You can get the puck back to the point to start the cycle again. And, surprisingly enough, you can bang in rebounds. All cases came to pass in Saturday's game. Not only that, but the Shawn-father got his 1st goal of the year. Also, Tuuk got his 1st shutout of the year. But even that is not the biggest story from the game. The biggest story of the game was that after every goal was annonced by the PA announcer, immediately after he summarized the goal with the time of the goal, a very noticable Ric Flair "WOOOOOOOO" could be heard from the crowd. It's great having to home arenas.

Next game isn't until Wednesday. It is part of NBCSports' Rivalry Wednesday. I'm not a fan of these big gaps between games so early in the season. It's going to catch up to the team. Some will get breaks during the Olympics. But others like Bergy, Chara, Seids, etc... (the players that will need the break), will be going all out for their countries' pride.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
BDL
DIS Veteran

Tonight is the Bruins' debut of NBCSports' Rivalry night, against their long time blood-feud rivals, the Buffalo Sabres. Huh!?!?! Yes they are in the same division. And yes they have had some notable games in their mutual histories. But there are probably more historic rivalries out there for the B's. Just off the top of my head, the Habs, Leafs, Canes/Whalers or the Flyers. Even when the Stars come to town, there's always blood on the ice. As seen HERE , HERE , HERE , and HERE . I missed the NBCSports preview/review of the rivalry game tonight (I have it DVR'd but haven't seen it yet), so I don't know the content. Maybe there is something that I am missing. Also, I'm sure that Buffalo has some teams that they would consider more relevant rivals than the Bruins (if there are any Sabres fans that follow, feel free to let us know, maybe PHI or NYI). But I imagine that we will see the Lucic running over of Miller replay so many times tonight that by the end of the game, I'll be hearing, in the back of my mind, "Miller's head goes back, and to the left... Back, and to the left... Back, and to the left... Back, and to the left..." In any case, both teams need the win tonight. The Bruins need the points to keep in striking distance of the lead, while they have games in hand. The Sabres need it to try to turn their season around.

We'll see how this game unfolds.

Who am I kidding... Most of us will be watching Game 1 tonight. I'll be bouncing between the channels, when I can.

Let's go Bruins!!!

Let's go Red Sox!!!

Tags
boston, boston strong, bruins, nhl, stanley cup

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: