Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
BDL
DIS Veteran

2013-14 Boston Bruins Thread (the offseason)

Welcome back to Bruins hockey.

And welcome to the 2013-14 Boston Bruins Thread. To say last year was a season full of headlines is an understatement. It started with the posturing and lockout by the owners, and ended with a playoffs, in which the Bruins lived and died by last minute goals. But all that took a back seat for a week in April. On April 15th, we saw what the worst in humanity had to offer and were hurt by it. But for the next 5 days, we saw the best in what PEOPLE had to offer. Emergency responders and civilians alike pooled resources and pulled together to rescue those who needed rescuing and hunt down those who needed to be hunted; Giving credence to the phrase BOSTON STRONG. And through it all, the Bruins were there to help us try to heal. Or at least distract us from the pain. On April 17th, we had the iconic opening, at the return of the Bruins . And the NHL as a community was there to help lift us up. Even a heated rivalry with the Philadelphia Flyers became secondary to the unity. This touching tribute (as a Watertown resident the images at the end strike a chord) is a testament to that unity. For the rest of the season, you could always see the Bruins wearing their Boston Marathon ribbons on their helmets and different local first respondersí caps for pre-game skates and post-game interviews. Demonstrating the pride in the community that has embraced them.

Now, itís a new season and another chance to hoist 35 lbs of polished silver. There are some new faces and some very familiar faces have left us. Ference (he of the skating wardrobe malfunction) is now Captain of a very young and promising Oilers team. Horton will be on the shelf til Christmas. But thatís a nice gift from Santa to the Blue Jacketsí fans. The most famous of the departures has to be the 4th of July trade of Seguin and Peverley. Their more open style may be better utilized in Dallas. I wish all the former Bruins the best of luck. The return in the trade netted the Bruins Loui Ericksson (you have probably seen him on the 1st ep of Behind the B) and a score of young talent for Providence. Also on the 2013-14 Bruins is Jerome ďI donít want to go here, I want to go THEREĒ Iginla (just teasing). We will also get better looks at some of the 2013 playoff additions, like Krug, Bartkowski and Soderberg.

The Bís were 5-1-0 in the pre-season. But that doesnít mean much in the regular season. But it did show us that the Looch-Krejci-Iginla line has already gelled. We also saw Bergeron and Campbell skating again, after devastating injuries. And, if for what ever reason, if Tuuk or Chad Johnson (how has Cam NOT given this guy #85) need some time off, there is more than capable relief in Providence, with Svedberg.

As always, I invite fans of other teams to follow along. Feel free to trash talk, but at least make it funny (and at least 5% respectful ).

The NHL season begins tonight. But for us Bruins fans, our calendar doesnít start until Thursday night.

LETíS GO BRUINS!!!!

Last edited by BDL; 06-17-2014 at 02:28 PM.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
BDL
DIS Veteran

Where we left off...

The 2013 Playoffs

In the 1st rd, the Bruins were paired against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Many of the experts expected it would be an early exit for the Leafs. And for the 1st 3 games, it seemed that would be the case. We were introduced to the Bruins' game MVP wearing the U.S. Army Ranger jacket at these post-game press conferences. But for the next 3 games and 2.5 periods, the Leafs had turned the tables on the Bruins. Winning 3 consecutive 1 goal games and had a 3 goal lead going into the closing moments of the 3rd period of game 7. Then, lightning struck. First, Horton scored, in what seemed like a mere symbolic gesture at the time, with 11 minutes to go. Then, with less than 2 minutes left, Looch makes it a game again. And 30 sec later, Bergeron picks his spot and ties it up, with 51 sec left in the game. In OT, lightning struck twice. Bergeron maneuvered his way to the outside of the crease and potted the game winner. The Bruins had escaped possibly blowing a 3-0 lead for the second time.

In rd 2, the Bruins and Rangers kept up a back and forth pace that led to 3 of the 5 games being decided by 1 goal. But what this series really did was introduce the world to Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug. 2 young D-men that provided an unexpected offensive punch while filling in for some injured veterans. In this series, they proved that they deserved the ice time.

Against the Penguins in rd 3, we discovered a couple other things. 1, how whiny Crosby can really be when he isnít getting calls. And 2, what a trooper Greg Campbell is. The former showed his true colors by trying to work the refs at every turn. And his crowning moment came at the end of the 2nd period in game 1. When he didnít like that Tuuk wouldnít just take an elbow from him with a smile, Crosby decided to give him a little cross-check. Nothing major, but a cross-check none the less. Once the dust had settled from the Malkin/Bergeron scrap (and the refs were free to intervene), Crosby then decided to chirp at Chara. Then when he decided to shove the tallest player in NHL history, Sid, oh so bravely, began skating backwards. Campbell, on the other hand, later in the series, laid out to block a Malkin slap shot, which had broken his leg. He stayed out on the ice until play had stopped. Playing on 1 leg. Even disrupting Pittsí passing lanes, while the Pens were on the PP. Itís a tale of 2 players.

NowÖ To the Stanley Cup round. Well, letís just leave the past in the past. Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks on a hard fought, well played Stanley Cup victory. And thank you Bruins (especially Bergeron and Campbell), for a great season.

Last edited by BDL; 10-01-2013 at 12:43 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
BDL
DIS Veteran

Schedule an Lines

Projected lines:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Ericksson
Smith-Kelly-Soderberg
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Defensive Pairs:
The pairs haven't been released yet. But speculation is...

Chara-Krug
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Boychuk-Bartkowski

Goalie: Rask & Johnson

Here is the schedule for the year and some prominent dates:

OCTOBER:
Thu. Oct. 03 Tampa Bay 7:00PM - Home opener
Sat. Oct. 05 Detroit 7:00PM - New Division rival
Thu. Oct. 10 Colorado 7:00PM
Sat. Oct. 12 At Columbus 7:00PM - Return of Horton
Mon. Oct. 14 Detroit 1:00PM
Thu. Oct. 17 At Florida 7:30PM
Sat. Oct. 19 At Tampa Bay 7:00PM
Wed. Oct. 23 At Buffalo 8:00PM
Thu. Oct. 24 San Jose 7:00PM
Sat. Oct. 26 New Jersey 7:00PM
Wed. Oct 30 At Pittsburgh 8:00PM - Do I need to explain?
Thu. Oct 31 Anaheim 7:00PM - Halloween/BDLsgal's birthday (should be fun)

NOVEMBER
Sat. Nov. 02 At N.Y. Islanders 7:00PM
Tue. Nov. 05 Dallas 7:00PM - Seguin/Pevs return and (Stars+B's+Garden = BRAWL)
Thu. Nov. 07 Florida 7:00PM
Sat. Nov. 09 Toronto 7:00PM
Mon. Nov. 11 Tampa Bay 1:00PM
Thu. Nov. 14 Columbus 7:00PM
Fri. Nov. 15 At Ottawa 7:30PM
Mon. Nov. 18 At Carolina 7:00PM
Tue. Nov. 19 At N.Y. Rangers 7:30PM
Thu. Nov. 21 St. Louis 7:00PM
Sat. Nov. 23 Carolina 1:00PM
Mon. Nov. 25 Pittsburgh 7:00PM
Wed. Nov. 27 At Detroit 7:30PM
Fri. Nov. 29 N.Y. Rangers 1:00PM
Sat. Nov. 30 Columbus 7:00PM

DECEMBER
Thu. Dec. 05 At Montreal 7:30PM - Habs
Sat. Dec. 07 Pittsburgh 7:00PM
Sun. Dec. 08 At Toronto 7:00PM
Tue. Dec. 10 At Calgary 7:00PM - Iggy's 1st game AGAINST the Flames
Thu. Dec. 12 At Edmonton 7:30PM - 1st game against Ference (should be wearing a 'C' there)
Sat. Dec. 14 At Vancouver 7:00PM
Tue. Dec. 17 Calgary 7:00PM
Thu. Dec. 19 At Buffalo 7:00PM
Sat. Dec. 21 Buffalo 7:00PM
Mon. Dec. 23 At Nashville 7:00PM
Fri. Dec. 27 Ottawa 7:00PM
Sat. Dec. 28 At Ottawa 7:00PM
Tue. Dec. 31 N.Y. Islanders 7:00PM - Happy New Year

JANUARY
Thu. Jan 02 Nashville 7:00PM
Sat. Jan. 04 Winnipeg 1:00PM
Tue. Jan. 07 At Anaheim 7:00PM
Thu. Jan. 09 At Los Angeles 7:30PM
Sat. Jan. 11 At San Jose 7:30PM
Tue. Jan. 14 Toronto 7:00PM
Thu. Jan. 16 At Dallas 7:30PM
Sun. Jan. 19 At Chicago 2:00PM - Game 7
Mon. Jan. 20 Los Angeles 1:00PM
Sat. Jan. 25 At Philadelphia 1:00PM
Mon. Jan. 27 At N.Y. Islanders 7:00PM
Tue. Jan. 28 Florida 7:00PM
Thu. Jan. 30 Montreal 7:00PM - Habs #2

FEBRUARY
Sat. Feb. 01 Edmonton 1:00PM - Welcome Home Andrew
Tue. Feb. 04 Vancouver 7:00PM
Thu. Feb. 06 At St. Louis 7:00PM
Sat. Feb. 08 Ottawa 3:00PM
Wed. Feb. 26 At Buffalo 7:30PM

MARCH
Sat. Mar. 01 Washington 1:00PM
Sun. Mar. 02 At N.Y. Rangers 12:30PM
Tue. Mar. 04 Florida 7:00PM
Thu. Mar. 06 Washington 7:00PM
Sat. Mar. 08 At Tampa Bay 7:00PM
Sun. Mar. 09 At Florida 5:00PM
Wed. Mar. 12 At Montreal 7:30PM Habs #3
Thu. Mar. 13 Phoenix 7:00PM
Sat. Mar. 15 Carolina 1:00PM
Mon. Mar. 17 Minnesota 7:30PM
Tue. Mar. 18 At New Jersey 7:00PM
Fri. Mar. 21 At Colorado 7:00PM
Sat. Mar. 22 At Phoenix 6:00PM
Mon. Mar. 24 Montreal 7:30PM Habs #4
Thu. Mar. 27 Chicago 7:00PM - Game 8
Sat. Mar. 29 At Washington 12:30PM
Sun. Mar. 30 At Philadelphia 7:30PM

APRIL
Wed. Apr. 02 At Detroit 8:00PM
Thu. Apr. 03 At Toronto 7:30PM
Sat. Apr. 05 Philadelphia 1:00PM
Tue. Apr. 08 At Minnesota 7:00PM
Thu. Apr. 10 At Winnipeg 7:00PM
Sat. Apr. 12 Buffalo 12:30PM Home finale'
Sun. Apr. 13 At New Jersey Season finale'

Last edited by BDL; 10-01-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

In! GO BRUINS!!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

Thanks BDL....I've learned to come here for my latest Bruins news!!!
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

My kids got to go to the open practice today. I have not heard all the details, but I did hear that it was packed, it was awesome, and they got autographs from Brad Marchand and Sean Thornton.

Lucky kids! I can't wait to see their pictures.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
stevea20
Mouseketeer

Well, here we go again, and this is going to be an absolutely horrendous season . . . for me.

A word of explanation. During the summer, the department I work in underwent personnel cuts. We lost 6 people to shifting jobs either voluntarily or forced. I managed to survive having being put into a job I didn't want but at the cost that my work hours and off days were changed. Now, instead of having 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM with Mon-Tues off, my hours are 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM with Tues-Weds off.

In short, I'll be working while the games are going on and with those rare exceptions (Tues games) I'm not going to get to see them. I can't use any kind of device that requires Internet links or has WI-FI (there's no access anyway). The radio gets 98.5 sporadically and with a lot of static so listening(which I will try to do) can be problematic. It's the same with Patriots games.

I'm going to be living with DVRing NESN's Bruins in 2.

Now, as to the team. I'm sorry to see Seguin go. I think he'll be the player everyone thought once he grows-up a little, but I wish him well. Iginla will be a big upgrade from Jagr since he still has the fire and I have high hopes for Erickson.

Numbers has to be the worst thing any pro athlete can have against them. I think Spooner should be on this team.

Finally, something I have been railing against since it was first announced and fully believe this was done to keep the Bruins out of the Finals again.
I HATE the fact that Detroit is now in the Division. The Bruins have never had any sustained success against the Wings and don't see it starting now.
BDL, you said it in an earlier post last year. When the Bruins beat the Pens the NBC guys sounded disappointed. They, and the NHL, want superstars in the Finals and the Bruins aren't accommodating (Chara excepted, Bergeron getting there). The Wings are here to keep the Bruins out.

Anyway, here's to a great season of hockey and chat.
stevea20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Just dropping by to say hello! I'll be back November 19th

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Awesome post!!! Love me some Bruins!

I actually love this time of year. The Bruins are just getting started. The Celtics are getting ready to tip off the pre-season (even though I'm not expecting much from them this season, it's still fun to watch). The Patriots are 1/4 into their season (and looking a lot better than they have any right to look with all that they are missing), and the Red Sox are getting ready to start the post-season.
Like I said, I love this time of year!!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
lori24
Earning My Ears

I wil be at the game Saturday night! Cant wait to see the boys back on the ice.
lori24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

As a DISer and a Buffalo Sabres fan - I'm gonna troll your thread. (However, I am not going to be mean cause I'm not that type - plus I know your team is better than mine.) That said, we were 3-2-0 against you guys last year - and considering how abysmal our team was....well, who am I to complain. The one Bruins game I went to was pretty dull - Bruins won 2-0, though it was 0-0 the first 50 minutes.

We're going to be a tougher team to play against this year, but very young and little scoring punch, so my trash talking will be pretty tame. I will only take shots if someone else shoots first (I hate you guys, but am not afraid to acknowledge a superior team. I also predict you will shortly dislike Tukka Rask's new contract.)

However, in a given season anything can happen...So - good luck (not) and may the best team win...
See you October 23rd.

Edit - Oh, and I have tickets to the February 26th match-up here in Buffalo....5 days after we get off the Magic. So there, I related it back to Disney.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK

Last edited by skier_pete; 10-02-2013 at 03:09 PM.
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
BDL
DIS Veteran

Happy Opening Day

IT'S OPENING DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!

First I want to thank all of you who have jumped on so quickly. And even all the lurkers who will be checking in from time to time.

But it's finally here. Bruins opening day. We got taste of the excitement from all the reports and tweets that were coming from the press day/rally yesterday at Faneuil Hall. The energy is back. The quest for The Cup begins in just over 9 hrs. And it promises to be a great season. Not only will we have 82 hard fought games. But we also get 2 weeks of Olympic hockey. Should give the mostly veteran Bruins team a nice respite for the home stretch. Even those that play in the Games will not be subjected to the constant toll an NHL game will take vs. and Olympic toll.

Also, it seems that the question of who will be the other rotating 'A' with kelly, has been answered. Excuse me for a minute while I channel the great James Earl Jones from the end of Revenge of the Sith:

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Sorry.

According to reports by Joe Hags, it appears that the 2nd rotating 'A' will be worn by David Krejci. Now, those of you who have followed my threads in the past know how I feel about David Krejci. How does a guy who averages 1+ pts per game in his playoff career, but takes entire weeks off in the regular season, be given a symbol of respect and leadership? Especially with so many much more deserving players on your roster. I could rattle off 5 Bruins without thinking about it (including the whole 4th line). But it's not my choice to make and I don't see what happens in the dressing room. Hopefully he can rise to the position.

Can't wait to hear the crowd when the team is being introduced. Especially Bergeron and Campbell.

It's almost time...

LET'S GO BRUINS!!!

PS: Just so I can have it here as well as the other places I have stated it. When "experts" started making their picks for the Stanley Cup, about 90% picked Pittsburgh vs Chicago or L.A. My pick, and I've had a few people laugh at me, Bruins over The Av's. After last nights game, I think I may have won a few of them over. Especially when the great Patrick Roy is leading the team like a cross between Herb Brooks and Leonidas. "THIS IS DENVER!!!!"

Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Best day EVER so excited for tonight's game!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post
Finally, something I have been railing against since it was first announced and fully believe this was done to keep the Bruins out of the Finals again.
I HATE the fact that Detroit is now in the Division. The Bruins have never had any sustained success against the Wings and don't see it starting now.

The Wings are here to keep the Bruins out.
This whole rant seems patently ridiculous. Detroit has been asking to move to the East for years. They were promised by the NHL the LAST time realignment occurred (in 1998) when Toronto came over to the East. This has nothing to with hurting the Bruins.

I addition, I don't understand "The Bruins have never had any sustained success against the Wings". What is this based on?

The history of the franchise Detroit is 263-254-95 against the Bruins, just slightly above 0.500. Okay - more recent history since the '05 lockout, the Bruins are 2-4-1 against Detroit, but that's playing 7 games over 8 seasons totally 662 games. The last time the Bruins played Detroit, two years ago, Detroit DID win - in a Shoot-out.

In the playoffs, the two teams haven't faced off against each other since 1957 - 56 YEARS AGO - a series in which the Bruins WON.
And then before that, 1953 - a series the Bruins WON.
And then before that, 1946 - a series the Bruins WON.

So, you have to go back to 1945 to find a series that Detroit won. Admittedly the "owned" the Bruins then - beating them 3 out of 4 years during World War II.

So - I don't get your comments at all. Should you concerned that a constitently good team (over the last 20 years) is coming to the conference. Sure. But to think it's directly specifically at the Bruins seems extremely egotistical to me, especially when the facts don't support it.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Awesome way to start the season!!!!!
3 - 1 victory over Tampa Bay.

I didn't get a chance to see the game (I took my son to basketball practice tonight), but what a great way to get things going.

Tags
boston, boston strong, bruins, nhl, stanley cup

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: