Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Captain/Cruise director?

Why does it matter to some people who it is? I can honestly say I have no clue who our captain was on any of our cruises and only knew the name of the cruise director from our last cruise because of his daily announcements and show introductions. I still couldn't tell you who was the cruise director on our older cruises.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Why does it matter to some people who it is? I can honestly say I have no clue who our captain was on any of our cruises and only knew the name of the cruise director from our last cruise because of his daily announcements and show introductions. I still couldn't tell you who was the cruise director on our older cruises.
It really doesn't matter to me who the captain is, but some cruise directors are better than others. When Christiaan was our CD we saw him EVERYWHERE and he was always telling jokes and stories to groups of people around the ship. Everyone loved him. He was hanging out with a bunch of kids (DS incuded) and one of the them asked if he could play a certain movie on the BIG screen. He made it happen and the kids were thrilled.

We'd had other CDs that we never saw.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post

It's something that always puzzles me. I couldn't possibly care less about these things, yet you see it here all the time and also on cruise critic. Who the CD or captain is should have no effect on how much you enjoy your cruise.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
It's something that always puzzles me. I couldn't possibly care less about these things, yet you see it here all the time and also on cruise critic. Who the CD or captain is should have no effect on how much you enjoy your cruise.
I partially agree. Who the Captain is, is irrelevant. It definitely a "show biz" type of thing. However, who the DC matters to a certain degree depending how egotistical or overbearing they are. Do they spend 45 minutes giving spiels before every show? Do they keep making constant announcements? Or are they to the point, in the background type of personality?
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
gunka
DIS Veteran

It matters to some obviously or it wouldn't be discussed on the boards. For us it made the whole cruise experience that much better. Meeting the Captain was neat, him taking the time to talk to us and get to know us a tiny bit - even better. If that hadn't of happened would our cruise have been ruined - of course not.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

The Captain is irrelevant? Really.

I guess for some they don't think the captain is a big deal as they don't have much interaction with him. But I sure want the best taking care of my safety even if I don't interact with him. To me, he's the most important person on the ship. JMO.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
The Captain is irrelevant? Really. I guess for some they don't think the captain is a big deal as they don't have much interaction with him. But I sure want the best taking care of my safety even if I don't interact with him. To me, he's the most important person on the ship. JMO.
In today's civilian navigation, the ship's captain is more or less a figure head. The real navigation, safety, etc is done by the bridge crew. I like to compare today's captains to an executive officer rather than an actual captain.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
In today's civilian navigation, the ship's captain is more or less a figure head. The real navigation, safety, etc is done by the bridge crew. I like to compare today's captains to an executive officer rather than an actual captain.
That'll be a good line for the Captain of the Concordia if/when he goes on trial. "It wasn't me, I'm just a figure head."

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
That'll be a good line for the Captain of the Concordia if/when he goes on trial. "It wasn't me, I'm just a figure head."
Given how he handled that disaster, yes, that would be an accurate representation.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
clten
DIS Veteran

Who the captain and cruise director are is important to some people like knowing what night certain activities will be, or their dining rotation, or who they should request as a server. Everyone cruises with different expectations, different comfort levels with different things. I don't know that people asking who they will be is "important" or just a curiosity/point of interest in planning. To me I couldn't care less if Pirate Night was on Nassau night, St Maarten night or never performed at all. But if there's a thread discussing it, know what I do?? Skip over it. I don't care. If I know who the captain or cruise director is in advance, it impacts my enjoyment of my cruise not one iota. But knowing it's a CD I don't particularly care for, it does help me plan -- I know I'm gonna go to less shows, rely on the Navigator more and definitely skip the Castaway Club meet because the sound of his voice grates on my last nerve.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
It matters to some obviously or it wouldn't be discussed on the boards. For us it made the whole cruise experience that much better. Meeting the Captain was neat, him taking the time to talk to us and get to know us a tiny bit - even better. If that hadn't of happened would our cruise have been ruined - of course not.
^^ This ^^

I've sailed the Dream three times and twice I've had Captain Guus. He is by far probably my favorite captain since I personally feel he is so very down to earth and friendly. He made conversation when I saw him and asked about my DS when I was on my recent girls cruise (without my DS) and why he wasn't with me when I was getting his ship model signed. It would not have ruined my cruise had it not been him, but the encounters and overall down to earth friendliness he personifies just made it that much more "special".

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
But knowing it's a CD I don't particularly care for, it does help me plan -- I know I'm gonna go to less shows, rely on the Navigator more and definitely skip the Castaway Club meet because the sound of his voice grates on my last nerve.
Just out of sheer curiosity, if his name Clayton? If so, we that's something we all can agree on
Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

If I were debating between two different cruises and I KNEW that Captain Fabian Dibb and CD Jimmy were on one of the cruises and not the other, I would go with the Captain Dibb and CD Jimmy combo any day. But since I typically book 12 - 24 months ahead of a cruise, this info does not impact me at all.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

OT but remember child actor Willie Aames from Eight is Enough and Charles in Charge from the 1970's...well he is now a cruise director!!!

http://cruisetalk.org/former-child-s...ia-and-regent/

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
I agree, after 10 Disney cruises, I couldn't tell you who our Captains or CD were. However I could tell you who some of our servers, room hosts & concierge staff were & how they helped (especially our DDs) our cruises special .
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: