Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
mommyoly
Earning My Ears

Heading up a FE group

Hi! I'm just wondering what's involved in heading up a Fish Extender group for our upcoming cruise? Someone had started to head it up but then their travel plans changed so I'd like to head it up so that we can participate. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!
mommyoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyoly View Post
Hi! I'm just wondering what's involved in heading up a Fish Extender group for our upcoming cruise? Someone had started to head it up but then their travel plans changed so I'd like to head it up so that we can participate. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!
I did this for one of our cruises and it's pretty simple. I just kept a list of people who were signed up, I included names, kids' ages, stateroom numbers, DIS names, e-mails and regular names along with any possible allergies and special occasions and made sure that everyone had a list of who was on the FE with all of that information. I didn't post it on our meet thread, just because there are a lot of people who don't want their information posted on a public forum.

My group stayed at around 15-16 staterooms, but if it had gotten any larger I would have suggested splitting it. Some folks would want to be on both lists, and some wouldn't. We also didn't have any rules around who would deliver when, and what types of gifts to give (stateroom vs. individual, etc.). Really, it consisted of making sure everyone knew who else was signed up, and that was it!
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

I'm currently looking after our FE group its quite simple. You can really look after it how ever you choose. I started a facebook group so we can communicate easier. Who ever wishes to joins sends me a message on here I reply with our facebook group link, and we meet up there to discuss things. I have all our families info on there makes it so much easier.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
ksloane
DIS Veteran

My favorite tip is to create a google form (which will create a google doc) for the FE members to input their information - Names, ages, room numbers, allergies, etc.

And then just send everyone a link to the google doc.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

as everyone said: easy and you will have fun!

Google Docs and forms are your friend!

Make sure the lists don't get too long and if they do, split the groups up.

Best advice, hand out deck plans (and if you can, circled cabins on it) with the lists of cabins. I can't tell you how long I spent lost in the Dream corridors!

Bring extra lists to the cruise - there will always be someone who forgets theirs.

I did a group collage of profile pictures too for everyone to have, but my groups haven't been enormous that I have been in.

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post
as everyone said: easy and you will have fun!

Google Docs and forms are your friend!

Make sure the lists don't get too long and if they do, split the groups up.

Best advice, hand out deck plans (and if you can, circled cabins on it) with the lists of cabins. I can't tell you how long I spent lost in the Dream corridors!

Bring extra lists to the cruise - there will always be someone who forgets theirs.

I did a group collage of profile pictures too for everyone to have, but my groups haven't been enormous that I have been in.
yes...Limit and deck plans are SUPER!

I always just post in the group thread about how many they want to limit it too. Usually the limits for my cruises have been 15-20.

Another idea if you get a large group is that we've had people who want to participate in both groups. You might want to throw that out there as an option. I know we always participate with everyone, but we've never had a group over about 40 rooms.

And set a deadline for when you have to signup by. Personally, I like about 6 weeks before the cruise so that I have time to finalize gifts.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

We do ours on google docs too, on our facebook group the link to the database and cruisers update their own information.
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
mommyoly
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your help and input. I'm hoping I can pull it together...we don't have a huge amount of time but something is better than nothing!
mommyoly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: