Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
disney junky
BWV

What is the American Dream?

Has it changed from that of our ancestors?
disney junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney junky View Post
Has it changed from that of our ancestors?
What I believe the American dream use to be is to own your own home. I definately believe it has changed because so many people realize now owning a home is like owning a sick cat. Kind of a money pit. So many people rent now. It's just easier.

I think the American dream now is to be able to provide for your family without racking up a ton of debt.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Equality, liberty, success, upward mobility, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
What I believe the American dream use to be is to own your own home. I definately believe it has changed because so many people realize now owning a home is like owning a sick cat. Kind of a money pit. So many people rent now. It's just easier.

I think the American dream now is to be able to provide for your family without racking up a ton of debt.
Sorry, I disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I still think it is the American Dream (or at least what is considered that ). There are many things that could fill that niche.

There are many affordable starter homes that couples can afford. It's true it may not be for everyone. There is upkeep, but we are willing for that rather than see all our $$'s go to pay someone else's mortgage. After hard work, $$'s we could have spent renting, we now own our home free and clear - such a rewarding feeling, and nowhere near a 'money pit'. We started small and worked up. But, to each their own.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure. I know that my older sons, ages 23 and 20, have no desire at all to own a house. Not even my oldest who is in a fairly long-term and stable relationship. I would say they want a nice place to live but none of the responsibility or risk that comes with home ownership. They have after all been witness to the great housing bubble and collapse. They don't view houses as security and wealth, but rather as playing with fire. Maybe that will change if they ever have children themselves. Being responsible for children kind of brings on nesting instincts.

I would say their dreams are to have enough money and flexibility in their lives to do all the travel and hobbies they enjoy. For my oldest especially he likes the idea of flexibility. Time here....time there, moving to different places and doing different things and changing it often enough to keep it interesting. It's actually what their Father and I kind of dream of for retirement.

They probably wouldn't use the word "security," but I think they want to feel enough security to not ever have to worry if they'll be able to pay their bills next month, 5 years from now, and on through the decades.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
What I believe the American dream use to be is to own your own home. I definately believe it has changed because so many people realize now owning a home is like owning a sick cat. Kind of a money pit. So many people rent now. It's just easier. I think the American dream now is to be able to provide for your family without racking up a ton of debt.
Hahahaha! Great description! If my husband ever dies on me I'm renting a house and leasing a car!

I think the American dream has always been to want more for the kids than the previous generation. I see it in the generation below me still. Sometimes in different ways. I see a lot of families that are changing the way they deal with one another. Stopping abuse cycles, addiction cycles and codependency.

I admit that I am biased in this due to the type of people i am around in the day to day.

Last edited by Granny square; 10-01-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

The American dream to me, as Ive understood it, is a more like ideals. Its the ability to to have opportunities to get and accomplish what you find important and what you want in life.

Having it all is relative. That changes within people and within soceity. But this country was about providing the freedoms so you can have opportunities to work hard and obtain what you want and need. I still believe its what its all about.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Sorry, I disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I still think it is the American Dream (or at least what is considered that ). There are many things that could fill that niche.

There are many affordable starter homes that couples can afford. It's true it may not be for everyone. There is upkeep, but we are willing for that rather than see all our $$'s go to pay someone else's mortgage. After hard work, $$'s we could have spent renting, we now own our home free and clear - such a rewarding feeling, and nowhere near a 'money pit'. We started small and worked up. But, to each their own.
I own my home. I'm just going by what I think is the trend. Back in the day people purchased their one home, raised their kids there, 30 years later had a mortgage burning party, and lived out the rest of their lives there. Nowadays people move on average every 7 years. Lots of people (especially with jobs that move them around a lot) rent homes. Not being tied down is very appealing to a lot of people. It doesn't mean they can't afford a home. They just don't want the burdens that come with owning a home.

People of course are going to buy homes. I just don't know if its what it use to mean. I just want to be able to afford my lifestyle. That's my dream and I'm living it.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I can't imagine not wanting to own my own home! I guess that shows how different perspectives are depending on where you live in the country. My husband and I are homeowners. We are planning to move soon and are building right now. I hate the idea of having to move into a rental if our current house sells before our new house is ready.

Personally, I always thought that the American dream was about having a good, honest job that allowed for you to provide for yourself and your family. That you weren't reliant on other people for the basic things in life.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

American Dream?

Winning the jackpot in Powerball and MegaMillions.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
grassmower
Earning My Ears

I always likened the American dream to having the ability to provide for yourself and family without the reliance on others.

It seems today the american dream is how can I get the gov. to keep me up fully without having to work/be responsible for any of it.

The gov. in turn uses this reliance to buy votes at election time.
grassmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmower View Post
I always likened the American dream to having the ability to provide for yourself and family without the reliance on others.

It seems today the american dream is how can I get the gov. to keep me up fully without having to work/be responsible for any of it.

This. thank you

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I can't imagine not wanting to own my own home! I guess that shows how different perspectives are depending on where you live in the country. My husband and I are homeowners. We are planning to move soon and are building right now. I hate the idea of having to move into a rental if our current house sells before our new house is ready.

Personally, I always thought that the American dream was about having a good, honest job that allowed for you to provide for yourself and your family. That you weren't reliant on other people for the basic things in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmower View Post
I always likened the American dream to having the ability to provide for yourself and family without the reliance on others.It seems today the american dream is how can I get the gov. to keep me up fully without having to work/be responsible for any of it.

That is hardly unique to the U.S. I never understood this idea that America was THE place to go to make all your dreams come true and so on.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
That is hardly unique to the U.S. I never understood this idea that America was THE place to go to make all your dreams come true and so on.
History. My grands came on the boat from Ireland. For them it was the "American dream". They were barely making it in their home country.

That appreciation has been passed down. It isn't anything against you and your country just a realization tha for many this was the place where their history changed for the better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: