Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
For future reference: Call the police and DO NOT move the car until the police have come and done an accident report.
Just wanted to share that here in San Diego, I was rear-ended by someone driving without a license or registration. I called the cops and they said if nobody was seriously injured, they would not respond.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
Actually some states have laws that require you to move to the shoulder for minor, non injury crashes. I know that NC and VA are 2 states that have the law.
I live in Va and I would be taking my pictures right there then move. Traffic can go around, after they stop gawking and block more traffic.lol.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
Just wanted to share that here in San Diego, I was rear-ended by someone driving without a license or registration. I called the cops and they said if nobody was seriously injured, they would not respond.
Dang! They wouldn't even come for the no license or registration issue? If not, then double dang that is messed up.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
Dang! They wouldn't even come for the no license or registration issue? If not, then double dang that is messed up.
Nope. I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "we have officers out there dealing with shootings and murders, we can't come out for every car accident". She was 15 and driving a "friend's" car. The owner of the vehicle was insured but because he didn't give permission for her to drive it, he was not deemed responsible.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Nope. I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "we have officers out there dealing with shootings and murders, we can't come out for every car accident". I got the girl's number... She was 15 and driving a "friend's" car. The owner of the vehicle was insured but because he didn't give permission for her to drive it, he was not deemed responsible.
Ugh! I would have sued her just on principle.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am pretty sure they'll come in GA.

About 6 years ago, I rear-ended a car. We both pulled into the parking lot and I called the police. Weird enough, the other driver just suddenly drove away without saying anything before the police arrived. The officer said that drive could be driving without a license, or uninsured.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
hereyago
DIS Veteran

OP, glad you are all right.

Here is.something funny, well now it is funny back then, not so much: I have been in 2 accidents of being t boned by elderly men on a holiday weekend.

I have had 1 middle aged woman hit me then not even get out and try to leave. Luckily, I saw a cop and he got her. She was like oh I didn't know I hit her,.yeah right.

This is the first experience I learned not to trust in a accident: I was 17, riding with my mom. We were at a stoplight, she screamed we were going to get hit. It was heavily raining and the young idiot was speeding thinking the light would turn by the time he got to use, he lost control and hit us. I ended up in hospital for 8 days. He lied about his insurance,it had lapsed. it was a long process, but my moms insurance had to take him to court for all the money and hospital bills. He never even apologized even in court.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
Ugh! I would have sued her just on principle.
The damage was only $800 and purely cosmetic or else I would have fought harder. I know in the small town where my mom lives, the cops will come by for ANY reason, they are aching for things to do lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
OP, glad you are all right.

Here is.something funny, well now it is funny back then, not so much: I have been in 2 accidents of being t boned by elderly men on a holiday weekend.

I have had 1 middle aged woman hit me then not even get out and try to leave. Luckily, I saw a cop and he got her. She was like oh I didn't know I hit her,.yeah right.

This is the first experience I learned not to trust in a accident: I was 17, riding with my mom. We were at a stoplight, she screamed we were going to get hit. It was heavily raining and the young idiot was speeding thinking the light would turn by the time he got to use, he lost control and hit us. I ended up in hospital for 8 days. He lied about his insurance,it had lapsed. it was a long process, but my moms insurance had to take him to court for all the money and hospital bills. He never even apologized even in court.
Wow, so sorry that happened. So glad you are ok!!!

Thank you for the story!

I've been driving for about 12-13 years now. Rear-ended another car once and got rear-ended today. Two accidents. That's it. Finger crossed I don't break this record ever!
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was rear ended on the freeway in N. California and I called the police because I wanted a report (my dad had somebody deny fault after the fact, so I learned from that). They said they'd come when they could and I ended up waiting over an hour for them, even though I watched cop after cop take the exit where I had pulled off - apparently it was shift change. I was 8 months pregnant and had an 18 month old with me and the cop asked if I really wanted the report. Umm, yes, that's why I waited. The girl who hit me had her right foot in a walking cast, was driving somebody else's car, had an expired insurance card and crashed her own car the week prior :-/ The damage ended bending my frame and cost over $4000 to fix. The other company had to cover my deductible.

My van recently was hit in a parking lot and just from that, it cost $2300 to fix. It can get really expensive!

OP, I'm so glad you weren't hurt. I hope everything turns out.

Upcoming: Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH), Oct. '14 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12
DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #26
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

I'm in Ga too. I've seen signs mostly at on ramps that say you should move accident vehicles to the shoulder. so you did the right thing there.
My husband was rear ended on the interstate recently and the other driver drove off. when he called the police they told him they could come out and do a report but that it would not do him any good if he didn't have the other drivers tag number. So they will come out for a report if you need it.

Personally if he stopped and gave you his insurance information I don't see how he can say it didn't happen.

Good Luck and I'm glad you're not hurt.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
MissManda
DIS Veteran

A few years ago, my DH and I were involved in a small fender bender. It as similar to the OP's in that we were stopped and was hit from behind. In our case, we were at an intersection trying to turn right (at a yield sign) but we couldn't go because of a steady stream of traffic in the lane we were merging onto. The car behind us, I guess, thought we were going to take an opening and hit the gas. Too bad, we hadn't moved. It did very little damage but it sure was startling.

I knew we were in trouble though when the first words the lady who hit us said.... "It's an accident....deal with it". No I'm sorry for hitting you or anything like that. She was full of attitude.

Before we moved our cars though, we did get out and look at the damage, which was minimal. We then moved our cars to the side of the road.

We did not call the cops, but a cop happened to be driving by and stopped. The cop actually told us it wasn't enough damage to file a report. She also said it probably wasn't enough to get insurance involved but to exchange info anyway and it was out decision. We got home that night and the ladies husband called us. He was very nice. He asked us to not call insurance, but instead to go get an estimate from wherever we wanted and he would send us a check for the repairs. So, that is what we did.

Good luck to you OP. Hope insurance will take care of everything for you.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Grandpa probably has more insurance than you.

Let your insurance carrier handle it. That's what you pay them for and they will...handle it.

I'm so glad you are okay!!!!!!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
I did contact my insurance company, but they told me to try file with the other driver's insurance company first. If I file with mine, there will be deductibles.
I can't believe they told YOU to handle the claim. It is their job to handle the claim, no matter who is going to end up paying for it. When I backed into my neighbor's car that was parked across from my driveway they took my insurance information and their insurance contacted mine to get payment for the damage (I ended up not paying a dime, and neither did they). I did call my agent to find out what was going to happen, of course. You shouldn't be out any money at all.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #30
USMelinUK
Mouseketeer

I remember when taking drivers ed a million years ago, them telling us a story about a person involved in a minor accident, where the other party seemed very agreeable, then afterwards went and filed a police report stating it was a hit and run. I have always remembered this, and the few times I have been in accidents have always contacted the police. I hope you get everything sorted out easily.

Originally a member since 2004.
USMelinUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: