Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Questions about a small car accident.

I had a small car accident today. I was waiting at a red light on a major road. Light turned green, the cars in front of me weren't moving yet so I didn't move. The car behind me started suddenly and hit me.

I knew at the moment that the damage couldn't be huge so I signal the driver behind me to get into the parking lot. Seeing the driver was really old, like hands-shaking old, I was actually very nice about it. I thought it shouldn't cost a lot to fix the scratches/dents, so I told him let's just exchange insurance and get going.

Well, grandpa turned all grumpy. Yelled "whatever", questioned me who really made the dents, asking me if I was trying to make him pay for old damages. My car was only 3 month old! I don't want to argue with him so at that point, I just took picture of everything and left.

I have two questions:
1. What if grandpa lies to his insurance company and claims that he didn't cause the damage?

2. My husband said next time such thing happens, I shouldn't turn into the parking lot immediately. I should get contact from the driver behind us as witness and then turn into the parking lot. I was just thinking about not blocking traffic at that point. WWYD?
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Next time, call the police and get a report.

Did you call your insurance company?
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
LuLuO

You were okay to move the cars as long as no one was hurt, but I would have snapped a few pics at that moment and more pics after in the parking lot.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
You were okay to move the cars as long as no one was hurt, but I would have snapped a few pics at that moment and more pics after in the parking lot.
Thank you! I should have snapped a few pics. First time for me to be involved in an accident, I just wanted to get out of the traffic.

I did contact my insurance company, but they told me to try file with the other driver's insurance company first. If I file with mine, there will be deductibles.

I also thought about calling 911, but I left my cellphone at home today. I thought about borrowing the phone from a close by restaurant, but decided not to.

I can now only wish grandpa grumpy would be honest about it.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I think next time, you call the cops and take pictures. You can "respect" an elder all day long, but you always.need to protect your self in accidents.

My last accident a 77 yo man t~boned my car. He was yelling at me , not sure if he had dementia or was always a crappy person, but he had no business driving. Cops came, he admitted, which was good for him because a witness was an off duty and it is not like my car could hit his car. I called his insurance because I don't trust anyone, he had told them it was my fault, because I had switched lanes, um no and even if I did, he barreled through a red light to turn right, but he kept straight.
Then he asked his insurance if they could ask me if we could hash it out by ourselves, hecks no. His son called me saying he had an accident not long before blah blah and his rates had all ready gone up. Sorry not my problem.

I think.that EVERYONE should be dmv retested road wise every 5 years.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Everyone so far has given all the advice I have...submit the pics that you took to your insurance provider. We can't go back in time, but some states do allow you to file a report after the accident (usually during blizzards, but maybe...).

I think the scary thing is how much a few scratches can cost. We were hit last year and the one dent (from the other driver's side mirror) cost $800 !! I was also worried about the denial, but she did admit to her insurance company that she did it.

The police officer gave her sobriety check and she passed that, but in his words, "something is off about her." She went from "oops" to very angry we were waiting for the police to arrive and kept yelling she needed to get out of there.

Good luck!

2010 Coronado Springs2014 Windsor Hills2015 TBA
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
I think next time, you call the cops and take pictures. You can "respect" an elder all day long, but you always.need to protect your self in accidents.

My last accident a 77 yo man t~boned my car. He was yelling at me , not sure if he had dementia or was always a crappy person, but he had no business driving. Cops came, he admitted, which was good for him because a witness was an off duty and it is not like my car could hit his car. I called his insurance because I don't trust anyone, he had told them it was my fault, because I had switched lanes, um no and even if I did, he barreled through a red light to turn right, but he kept straight.
Then he asked his insurance if they could ask me if we could hash it out by ourselves, hecks no. His son called me saying he had an accident not long before blah blah and his rates had all ready gone up. Sorry not my problem.

I think.that EVERYONE should be dmv retested road wise every 5 years.
Thank you! Lesson learned!

I am now upset about myself. . The damages are rather small, but it's not my fault at all and I shouldn't have to pay for it. Finger crossed that mr. grumpy would be honest.

Well, at least my husband is nice. He hasn't said a thing other than mentioning getting witness contact once. He is just glad that I wasn't hurt.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
LuLuO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
Thank you! I should have snapped a few pics. First time for me to be involved in an accident, I just wanted to get out of the traffic.

I did contact my insurance company, but they told me to try file with the other driver's insurance company first. If I file with mine, there will be deductibles.

I also thought about calling 911, but I left my cellphone at home today. I thought about borrowing the phone from a close by restaurant, but decided not to.

I can now only wish grandpa grumpy would be honest about it.
I have State Farm and all I have to do is call them and they go after the other company. Your company should have your (their) interests in mind and fight for you. The other guy's insurance company has his interest (their) in mind and will screw you. Call your insurance company back and make them handle it. What insurance do you have?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOpGrad2013 View Post
Everyone so far has given all the advice I have...submit the pics that you took to your insurance provider. We can't go back in time, but some states do allow you to file a report after the accident (usually during blizzards, but maybe...).

I think the scary thing is how much a few scratches can cost. We were hit last year and the one dent (from the other driver's side mirror) cost $800 !! I was also worried about the denial, but she did admit to her insurance company that she did it.

The police officer gave her sobriety check and she passed that, but in his words, "something is off about her." She went from "oops" to very angry we were waiting for the police to arrive and kept yelling she needed to get out of there.

Good luck!
Now I am scared. I definitely don't want to spend $800.

I am so mad at myself for not calling the police now. I picked the wrong day to left my cellphone at home. I should have borrowed the phone from the restaurant!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I have State Farm and all I have to do is call them and they go after the other company. Your company should have your (their) interests in mind and fight for you. The other guy's insurance company has his interest (their) in mind and will screw you. Call your insurance company back and make them handle it. What insurance do you have?
I have Liberty Mutual and the other guy has State Farm. I am going to call mine now. Thank you for the great reminder!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
LuLuO

There may be deductibles to cover with your company if shared fault is determined. If he is deemed 100% at fault you still pay nothing.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

For future reference: Call the police and DO NOT move the car until the police have come and done an accident report.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
For future reference: Call the police and DO NOT move the car until the police have come and done an accident report.
I will have this printed out and stapled to my insurance card!

Just called my insurance company. They filed a record only claim.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Actually some states have laws that require you to move to the shoulder for minor, non injury crashes. I know that NC and VA are 2 states that have the law.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
Actually some states have laws that require you to move to the shoulder for minor, non injury crashes. I know that NC and VA are 2 states that have the law.
I am in GA.

I handled the accident this way because couple days ago I saw a very similar accident in almost the same location. The two ladies just moved their car to a parking lot. They didn't take pictures.

I'll google the law, and at least next time (hopefully there won't be a next time), I'll take pictures quickly and maybe get witness # before move my car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: