DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
prune1977
Mouseketeer

I will say also probably will be more of a one week trip most years & would it be wiser to rent PTs first as we've never done a villa stay. Always done deluxe resort though.

: Christmas surprise AKL: Jan 2012

dream stay? plus Mom & dad went with us Poly: Jan 2013

Surprise trip for the kids, 1st time waterparks Beach Club Sept 13,
prune1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

I'd suggest you spend time and understand all of this before buying. It usually takes around 6 months of active investigation to understand enough about the system to justify buying.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd suggest you spend time and understand all of this before buying. It usually takes around 6 months of active investigation to understand enough about the system to justify buying.
Make sure to read about other people's concerns, their experiences, and their trips - just hang here for a few months. You really need to understand what you are buying, its a lot of money to sink into something when you "think" it works this way - right now, the questions you are asking are good, but they are so basic that there is a ton of stuff you aren't even THINKING about asking yet.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Morganpics
DIS Veteran

We stayed at several different properties before we purchased. We bought at Old Key West mainly for the fact that the rooms are larger than most all the other DVC properties. We have now stayed at all but Boardwalk. We learned the hard way - make your reservation at your home resort at 11 months, then if you want to stay somewhere else, try at 7 months. If successful, you can then cancel the reservation at your home resort. We purchased OKW without staying on the property, but we had read a lot about it through here, and had stayed at Caribbean Beach, which is similar, and we loved it. We have never been sorry. We nearly purchased at SSR, which I am glad we did not. I do not care for the rooms there - I really don't feel that I am on vacation. Other folks here have given you good advice - read as much as you can before you make your decision. We truly love all the resorts, for different reasons - style, proximity to a park, fun things to do. It's all great!

March 1995(commando); June 2002; Mar-April 2004; June 2005; Nov 2005; Dec 2006; March 2007; Sep 2007; Oct 2008; Nov 2009; Sep-Oct 2011
Morganpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

conversely, while we love the OKW venue, we'd never buy there. There is no need for the 11-month owner window plus we'd only stay there if we drove or where in a ticket-less state.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganpics View Post
We stayed at several different properties before we purchased. We bought at Old Key West mainly for the fact that the rooms are larger than most all the other DVC properties. We have now stayed at all but Boardwalk. We learned the hard way - make your reservation at your home resort at 11 months, then if you want to stay somewhere else, try at 7 months. If successful, you can then cancel the reservation at your home resort. We purchased OKW without staying on the property, but we had read a lot about it through here, and had stayed at Caribbean Beach, which is similar, and we loved it. We have never been sorry. We nearly purchased at SSR, which I am glad we did not. I do not care for the rooms there - I really don't feel that I am on vacation. Other folks here have given you good advice - read as much as you can before you make your decision. We truly love all the resorts, for different reasons - style, proximity to a park, fun things to do. It's all great!
Do your PTs get changed to holding PTs if you cancel the home resort reservation or another type of PTs I can't remember right now or is it just a change since you're still coming but just changed resorts?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune1977 View Post
Do your PTs get changed to holding PTs if you cancel the home resort reservation or another type of PTs I can't remember right now or is it just a change since you're still coming but just changed resorts?
It depends on if you cancel the first one completely first.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
I wouldn't cancel the first one until I knew I could get the other resort I wanted.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would make sure I could get the one I wanted first

Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Then, you have the new trip from any points you have left, then they borrow from the next year, and the points from your first trip are returned. If you can't use them, you have to bank them.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then, you have the new trip from any points you have left, then they borrow from the next year, and the points from your first trip are returned. If you can't use them, you have to bank them.
Couldn't I just use the PTs from the original resort to the new resort if I was just changing resorts but not dates?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

No, it's a new reservation. BUT, if you call directly I think they can switch it.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
"subject to availability," sure.

keep in mind you will be paying higher annual dues, and there are higher risks as coastal storms are more likely to damage those properties.

but don't think that low upfront prices mean value...they mean you want to roll the dice. prices are low for a reason.

i would not own those resorts unless i really wanted to stay at those resorts. SSR is a better value if you are looking at wdw stays and are just happy to be onsite. (note that SSR expires in 2054 compared to 2042 for HHI/VB.)
SSR is the best value considering MF price PP and initial cost , plus it's WDW property so you won't have to worry about being outside the world if you can't change reservations at 7 months . The MF at vero and HH are the highest around

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune1977 View Post
pts turn into holding pts if you cancel within a month of your reservation.

if you cancel earlier than that, pts return to that UY with no penalty.

you cannot book 2 reservations at the same time with the same pts - you'd have to cancel one reservation first.

(some MS reps can hold the new reservation while canceling the first - but some can't. there is a little bit of risk, but if you are that close and changing exactly at the 7 month window, i'd just get on the waitlist if something happened. it would be very likely to come through.)

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Don't forget that you can have more than one home resort! If you buy points at two (or more) resorts WITH THE SAME USE YEAR you can use your points seamlessly at 7 months. Plus, through banking/borrowing you can actually make your reservation at 11 mo using all your points. This is wat we do (we own at OKW and HHI).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: