Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #196
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperiod
Just got here tonight and kinda discouraged so far. They're only taking off 10 min, but still send you through fastpass if able-bodied. So you do end up waiting longer than standby, but its like having a fast pass machine for any ride. That seems fine in theory, but then we spent 10 min deciding which ride to go on, during which DS changed his mind 3 times! Then we got to the ride only to find out DD was a hair too short and DS didn't want to ride that with just one parent. So we made a plan to go on little mermaid and let DS go on a big ride of his pick. Found the kiosk and then had to wait AGAIN for goofy sky school even though we had already waited for soaring and couldn't go on.

This WILL take a lot more planning and flexibility, which DS really isn't good at and I'm not thrilled about making our vacation a learning experience either. The kid does 25 hours of therapy a week, and we all looked forward to the breaks we had at Disneyland.
When I picked up my pass, they did tell me that if I changed my mind about riding an attraction that I would have to wait again, but if unable to ride due to the ride breaking down, height restriction, etc. That the attraction should take care of it, if not you should first ask for a lead and then if they still don't to explain at the kiosk that you wanted to all ride together. Since you had no way to check your entire party for the height requirement at the kiosk when choosing the ride, it isn't fair to make you wait again.

I think the solution is to allow the kiosks to do the height checks and issue wristbands that say which attractions that the child can do and those wristbands will override any height checks at the individual attractions.

But ultimately, make sure that you send your feedback to Disney. Make sure you send it via email to the email address on the FAQ and the Disneyland website. In addition be sure to send it via the U.S. Postal system as well. Sending to all three will emphasize how important this is. In addition, the next time you go to the parks, be sure to ask for a manager at Guest Relations or one of the kiosks and explain what happened and how you felt it was unfair.

I personally think this policy of starting the wait time over is unfair. If I were waiting in a physical line and got to the end of the line and couldn't ride, they would generally give me a FP to come back or go on another ride. and I do intend on commenting on that in my feedback.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #197
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I personally think this policy of starting the wait time over is unfair. If I were waiting in a physical line and got to the end of the line and couldn't ride, they would generally give me a FP to come back or go on another ride. and I do intend on commenting on that in my feedback.
I agree. On day 2 for us yesterday this became much more of a big deal as the FP lines for Soaring and Radiator Springs were *really* long. DS was having a horrible time, and then to top it off when we got to the loading area of Radiator Springs right at the top, the ride broke down. After quite a bit of explaining, I did manage to get us anytime return passes for RS, but we will have to hope the FP line isn't long again. I definitely think the FP time needs to be factored in.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #198
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild

One thing I didn't have time to mention last night, as we were hemming and hawing at the kiosk trying to decide a ride DS would be in the mood to go on in (current wait time) minutes, the cast member, Chelle, saw us struggling and gave us an immediate FP for RSR to use right after our RT "to get the ball rolling." She said it gets easier after the first few and told us to collect fastpasses in the morning to use with the RT. Most of tthe FP had already been given out last night. She also urged me to talk to a lead to give feedback and see if there was an individual accomodation they could give DS for some immediate FPs to help with his lack of planning/give choices, but I'd have to do that every day. So it was nice to hear what others mentioned on this thread, they do have the ability to customize the new system. I think we're gonna give this a go as is and if it's just not working out, I'll talk to a lead.

I also got a stroller as a wheelchair tag again and that was kinda confusing. We use it for sensory breaks and a barrier for shows and parades. The CM was trying to convince me I shouldn't get it, that there were better places to sit away from crowds? Not in our experience! Yes, the wheelchair areas can get crowded, but if DS can be in his stroller, he's fine in his little bubble, pulls down the shade, etc. It also helps with his low tone and tolerance for standing. We haven't attempted WoC with the card or tag before, just tried the firehydrant location years ago, but DS couldn't see. Last night I saw benches in the back that seemed to be for wheelchairs? How would that work and how's the visibility for those in wheelchairs/strollers?

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #199
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperiod
One thing I didn't have time to mention last night, as we were hemming and hawing at the kiosk trying to decide a ride DS would be in the mood to go on in (current wait time) minutes, the cast member, Chelle, saw us struggling and gave us an immediate FP for RSR to use right after our RT "to get the ball rolling." She said it gets easier after the first few and told us to collect fastpasses in the morning to use with the RT. Most of tthe FP had already been given out last night. She also urged me to talk to a lead to give feedback and see if there was an individual accomodation they could give DS for some immediate FPs to help with his lack of planning/give choices, but I'd have to do that every day. So it was nice to hear what others mentioned on this thread, they do have the ability to customize the new system. I think we're gonna give this a go as is and if it's just not working out, I'll talk to a lead.

I also got a stroller as a wheelchair tag again and that was kinda confusing. We use it for sensory breaks and a barrier for shows and parades. The CM was trying to convince me I shouldn't get it, that there were better places to sit away from crowds? Not in our experience! Yes, the wheelchair areas can get crowded, but if DS can be in his stroller, he's fine in his little bubble, pulls down the shade, etc. It also helps with his low tone and tolerance for standing. We haven't attempted WoC with the card or tag before, just tried the firehydrant location years ago, but DS couldn't see. Last night I saw benches in the back that seemed to be for wheelchairs? How would that work and how's the visibility for those in wheelchairs/strollers?
I think there needs to be a few tweaks, such as allowing for when you can't ride an attraction after waiting the full time without starting your wait over again. They would generally offer a FP to any other guest in such a circumstance after they waited in the regular queue. Now I am not saying they should offer a FP, but how about subtracting the time that you have already waited from the wait time?

And they need to put something to measure Heights at the kiosks, so you can choose accordingly.

The visibility in the back of WOC is ok. there are benches more towards the front as well. No matter which one you choose, be sure to key the CM know that you need fewer people around you, they are usually more than accommodating.
If in a stroller or wheelchair, make sure that the person in it is by the railing.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-13-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #200
HappiestHaunt
Took advantage of room for one more!

I did see it report posted elsewhere that someone had a return time for POTC and when they returned with their DAS they found the HAC line was still an additional 40 minute wait between wheelchair/ECV users and DAS returners. They ended up not riding it due to the issue. She did said she liked the new program, but I could see how that would be problematic. The HAC line has always been a long line at that particular ride, but now you have the wait time on top of that. I think they may have to do some adjusting at rides like that one and IASW. Otherwise you are asking a person who needs the accommodation to wait elsewhere and then essentially wait again for the same time period (or longer) to ride. So it would seem the DAS users could potential have a double wait for some rides.

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake spooks come out for a swingin' wake
happy haunts materialize, and begin to vocalize,
grim grinnin' ghosts come out to socialize..."

Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #201
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I think there needs to be a few tweaks, such as allowing for when you can't ride an attraction after waiting the full time without starting your wait over again. They would generally offer a FP to any other guest in such a circumstance after they waited in the regular queue. Now I am not saying they should offer a FP, but how about subtracting the time that you have already waited from the wait time?

And they need to put something to measure Heights at the kiosks, so you can choose accordingly.

The visibility in the back of WOC is ok. there are benches more towards the front as well. No matter which one you choose, be sure to key the CM know that you need fewer people around you, they are usually more than accommodating.
If in a stroller or wheelchair, make sure that the person in it is by the railing.
Do you mean if the ride breaks down and your in the que they give fast pass to you. I know sometimes if your on the ride they give them to you.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #202
disney david
DIS Veteran

It hard to factor in fast pass like and alternate line because it can be 40 when you get rerun time the. To down to 5 less then 10 min later it not like stand by time where the line will stay long for awhile.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #203
HappiestHaunt
Took advantage of room for one more!

I also saw this elsewhere, which will help with DAS users and first rides:

"Tip for DAS users. City Hall/Chamber can issue a wait time. So if you are picking up your DAS, get a wait time for your first ride while you are there."

That is a nice service to offer to allow someone to head to their first ride without an additional trip to a kiosk to begin their day.

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake spooks come out for a swingin' wake
happy haunts materialize, and begin to vocalize,
grim grinnin' ghosts come out to socialize..."

Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #204
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestHaunt
I did see it report posted elsewhere that someone had a return time for POTC and when they returned with their DAS they found the HAC line was still an additional 40 minute wait between wheelchair/ECV users and DAS returners. They ended up not riding it due to the issue. She did said she liked the new program, but I could see how that would be problematic. The HAC line has always been a long line at that particular ride, but now you have the wait time on top of that. I think they may have to do some adjusting at rides like that one and IASW. Otherwise you are asking a person who needs the accommodation to wait elsewhere and then essentially wait again for the same time period (or longer) to ride. So it would seem the DAS users could potential have a double wait for some rides.
At these kinds of attractions, if you have a Return Time, you are supposed to be taken to the front of the accessible line, at least according to the phone call that I had with the Disney executive when they called me.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #205
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestHaunt View Post
I also saw this elsewhere, which will help with DAS users and first rides:

"Tip for DAS users. City Hall/Chamber can issue a wait time. So if you are picking up your DAS, get a wait time for your first ride while you are there."

That is a nice service to offer to allow someone to head to their first ride without an additional trip to a kiosk to begin their day.
That may or may not happen on other days.
There are some things they were doing in the first roll out days to help people cope during the roll out period and help things move along better and kind of give a little pixie dust for waits in Guest Relations while they are learning.

Those things may not be available at all times or may not be available after the process is moving more efficiently.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #206
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
There are some things they were doing in the first roll out days to help people cope during the roll out period and help things move along better and kind of give a little pixie dust for waits in Guest Relations while they are learning.

Those things may not be available at all times or may not be available after the process is moving more efficiently.
You can also get the card at any kiosk, just be aware that you will have to wait for a CM to go and get your pass from Guest Relations until all of the kiosks have their own printers. They of course can provide your first wait til k me there, as it is a kiosk.

But all of the CMs did say that they are supposed to have printers at all of the kiosks soon.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #207
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david

Do you mean if the ride breaks down and your in the que they give fast pass to you. I know sometimes if your on the ride they give them to you.
I have had several situations where I get to the front of the line and have to leave for my own reasons, such as not being physically up to riding when I thought I would be, etc.

As long as the line wasn't under 20 minutes, they have always offered a FP for something else when I explain the situation. But you have to explain to a CM, they won't be able to do anything to help if you just turn to leave.

I have seen many others do this and as long as they are nice about it, I have never seen any reasonable request refused. Say you were waiting for RSR and asked for a FP, they would probably make it for any attraction. But if you were in a 30 minute line, they probably wouldn't give you one for RSR with a two hour line.

Since the return times are the equivalent of waiting in the entire line, they should be willing to work with you. I understand that simply giving a blanket FP would lead to abuse and as pointed out that's probably not what would be done for any other guest. Since they know how long you have waited, the easiest thing to do is subtract that time from your next return time.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #208
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

MODERATOR NOTE: WDW question - moved to WDW thread

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #209
piratenightmares
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

I understand this is going to be something that will change a little as they find out what works and what doesn't. What is the best way to deal with these changes? It feels like what I might get in assistance today could change tomorrow (and that's ok. I'd just like to know more.). When I have called guest services about how the DAS is working they have only given me the information I've already read on the website. They are very non specific. I understand that, too, but I feel like it would be best for everyone (including CM's who are working with this in the parks) to know more information in advance. I'm sure the CM's have good instructions. I just wish I knew what to expect (a little) because even after reading all of this stuff it's not clear to me.

I said in a previous post I would be preparing my son mentally with the assumption we may not get any accommodations. I know he will get some, and it will be a bonus when he does.

I realize I'm not going to understand how this is going to work for us until we try it out. Can't WAIT til December!

Last edited by piratenightmares; 10-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #210
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I realize that people want specific answers on how things will be done for planning purposes.

But, I think we all need to be prepared that there will be some questions where the answer is not "yes" or "no" or "always" or "never".

There are some where the answer is going to stay "maybe" and "it depends".

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: