Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Patch'sD
DIS Veteran

Things they never taught you in management school

As a manager we all had to deal with things the courses or seminars we took never helped with certain situations. Please share your unique stories

An employee came to me and said she could not take a coworkers personal hygiene. She was uncomfortable to discuss it but I said I couldnít help if I didnít know what it was. She told me that X was picking his nose and ears and then feeding himself with the findings. She was utterly disgusted and was a hard worker. I didnít know what to do so I went to HR. When I explained the issue to HR, the person got up from his desk and turned around to look out the window. All I could see was his shoulders going up and down. After he composed himself, he told me to have a witnessed conversation with the picker and tell him that his dietary habits were effecting other workers performance. In the meeting, I told this individual that his personal habits were effecting office performance. He wanted to know exactly what was the issue was. I told him to think of what he does that is normal and others would think as disgusting. I felt bad and didnít want him to confront him. After a few more attempts to not hurt this guys feelings, I became frustrated and blurted out, ďItís your picking your nose and eating it.Ē He replies, ďOh, that itís something I picked up in the NavyĒ. I said well please refrain that from work as it is making people sick to their stomachs including me. Well we got no more complaints and he left the company a few years after that.
Patch'sD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Not mine, but one of my friend's co-workers had a heart attack at work. She ended up being the one to call the paramedics, direct them in, etc. Her manager was on the phone the whole time on a teleconference. She looked up from the phone a couple of times but didn't even come out to see what was going on even as the paramedics took the poor guy out (he lived).

Ironically she was on a phone meeting regarding employee retention. Apparently they did not cover what to do when their employee is leaving the building on a stretcher.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

We have had to have multiple discussions with the young new nurses on why it is not appropriate for your scrub pants to ride lower than your underwear. The "whaes tail" while all the rage apparently, is not acceptable in our place of business. Nor is white pants and visible color or animal patterns on underpants. I have had to sit it as a peer on 3 of these meetings this year. THAT many people were doing it.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
grassmower
Earning My Ears

I wasn't taught in grad school to say NO when offered a position that requires managing an office full of middle age hormonal women. It was worse than working at a preschool!
grassmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

This is from my boss...

He had an employee not show up for work (I don't remember if it was for one day or two). The employee didn't call in, didn't answer his phone, no contact whatsoever. So my boss went to his house. No one answered the door. I don't know what prompted him, but my boss went in through an open window and found the employee dead in his bed.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmower View Post
I wasn't taught in grad school to say NO when offered a position that requires managing an office full of middle age hormonal women. It was worse than working at a preschool!
This is what I work in now. It is like being in Jr. High all over again with the clicks and the gossip and the backstabbing.

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagley View Post
This is what I work in now. It is like being in Jr. High all over again with the clicks and the gossip and the backstabbing.
No not Junior High. My husband always claims his job is at least 25% Social Worker and a good bit of Psychologist-Therapist too. Solve all their personal and family problems so they'll actually sit down to do their jobs.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

My Dad was in retail management. He managed one store in a chain of 15 or so stores and the owner of the chain of stores was elderly and in the beginning stages of dementia. One time after a lengthy investigation, my dad's store let a cashier go because they had proof that over time she had stolen about five thousand dollars out of the cash register (they narrowed down the thefts to always being on the days that she worked, so they put a camera directly on to her cash register, then got her on camera stealing money from the cash drawer). They fired her in late November. The day after the cashier was fired, the owner called my dad and he (the owner) was furious. He told my dad that he should be ashamed of himself for firing that poor girl right before the holidays because she is a single parent, and now what is she going to do for Christmas. To make amends, my dad should go build houses for homeless people to make up for this horrible thing that he did to that poor girl. He just went on and on about how firing that "poor girl" was so horrible, etc. My dad say he knew he couldn't say a word because the owner was sooo upset that my dad knew he would be fired if he even tried to say anything.

Management school doesn't teach you what it is like to work for a boss who is crazy, where you get in trouble for doing the RIGHT thing!!

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'm in upper management and HR is under me. We've had some whoppers here. These are my three favorites.

What do you do whan an employee shows up for work with a fighting rooster tied to his back under his shirt and when you ask why he informs you that he didn't have time to go home between the fights and his shift start.

What do you do when a supervisor's estranged wife shows up and starts beating the crap out of him.

What do you do when an employee comes to you and says he needs to file a workers comp claim because he has caught a sexually transmitted disease.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagley View Post
My Dad was in retail management. He managed one store in a chain of 15 or so stores and the owner of the chain of stores was elderly and in the beginning stages of dementia. One time after a lengthy investigation, my dad's store let a cashier go because they had proof that over time she had stolen about five thousand dollars out of the cash register (they narrowed down the thefts to always being on the days that she worked, so they put a camera directly on to her cash register, then got her on camera stealing money from the cash drawer). They fired her in late November. The day after the cashier was fired, the owner called my dad and he (the owner) was furious. He told my dad that he should be ashamed of himself for firing that poor girl right before the holidays because she is a single parent, and now what is she going to do for Christmas. To make amends, my dad should go build houses for homeless people to make up for this horrible thing that he did to that poor girl. He just went on and on about how firing that "poor girl" was so horrible, etc. My dad say he knew he couldn't say a word because the owner was sooo upset that my dad knew he would be fired if he even tried to say anything.

Management school doesn't teach you what it is like to work for a boss who is crazy, where you get in trouble for doing the RIGHT thing!!
Wow....

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I didn't know what to do for the poor truck driver trying to make a delivery who ended up trapped in his truck while the rest of us hid in the safe room during a tornado. I have a plan for everyone else, but hadn't considered that possibility. Thankfully, he was unhurt.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmower View Post

when I was managing staff my mantra was "everything I need to know about supervision I learned teaching preschool"

'share the __________'
'take turns with the____________'
'keep your hands to yourself'
'don't bother someone else's project___________'
'we aren't discussing beanie babies right now'
'it's not lunchtime yet'
'we don't need to hear about what you did in the bathroom'

I do not miss those days

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I'm in upper management and HR is under me. We've had some whoppers here.

What do you do when an employee comes to you and says he needs to file a workers comp claim because he has caught a sexually transmitted disease.

how about-what do you do when the security staff catches sight on the closed circuit t.v (visible by anyone in the reception area) 2 social workers using a client cubical (secured area with multiple small rooms with no ceilings/no locked doors, and walls no taller than 4 feet high) during lunch hour to have a quickie? oh, and it's right as the local media and the public are converging on the place for the public renaming/dedication of the building?

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley View Post
how about-what do you do when the security staff catches sight on the closed circuit t.v (visible by anyone in the reception area) 2 social workers using a client cubical (secured area with multiple small rooms with no ceilings/no locked doors, and walls no taller than 4 feet high) during lunch hour to have a quickie? oh, and it's right as the local media and the public are converging on the place for the public renaming/dedication of the building?

Share the video online????
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Share the video online????

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: