Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
sookie
DIS Veteran

My ADR's and Dining Plans - Help!

OK, we are going for 7 days - staying at AKL. We do have 1 signature place so that eats up some credits.

I am over by several table service credits. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to deluxe (Question 1: What does upgrading to deluxe usually cost?) and if it would be worth it to get my 7 year old upgraded to an adult on the dining plan? He usually has no problem ordering off the kiddie menu. Would we have to upgrade his tickets also?

Day 1: No table service. 4 quick service.
Arrive. Eat at the Mara / pick up snacks in Club Lounge. Go to Magic Kingdom and go to the Dessert Party (prepaid). If they are still hungry we can go to the lounge or pick up snacks somewhere.

Day 2: Animal Kingdom. 12 table service. 0 quick service.
Sunrise Safari - has breakfast included. Tusker House Lunch - 4 table. Snacks if the kids want them (I am not worried about tracking snack credits here). Jiko - 8 tablet credits. Do you think we should cancel Tusker house? I think that beside BOG, it is the only character dining we have. I have heard it is great.

Day 3: Magic Kingdom - 4 table service. 4 quick service.
Breakfast in CL. FP+ Lunch at BOG. Dinner at BOG. Favorite place for the kids last year so I do not mind taking the kids multiple times.

Day 4: Birthday! Epcot - 4 table service. 4 quick service.
Breakfast in CL. Chefs De France lunch (hope to see Remy). 4 table. Will grab quick service in Epcot / Eat to the Beat and Snacks before heading to MNSSHP.

Day 5: Magic Kingdom, late start. 8 table, 0 quick service.
Breakfast in CL. Sanna - lunch. 4 table. I really want to go here, especially since we are staying at AKL. I was torn between here and Boma.
At MK - Another BOG dinner. Like I said, the kids rant on and on about BOG (so does my husband) and so I did snag another BOG for our time in MK that night. I wonder if I should cancel this and do another table service. We had an amazing time there the last time we went and loved it.
*maybe I should try for a quick service BOG here and then go to Sanna at night or Boma at night? Advice on this day please!.

Day 6: Epcot: 4 table service, 4 quick service.
Breakfast in CL. The plan is for Les Halles Boulangerie for a 4 quick service lunch. I have reservations for Hacienda de San Angel Dinner @ 7:15PM because I heard that the Illuminations viewing was excellent and indoors. We have eaten at the Rose and Crown outdoors and that was fun. However, we are not huge Mexican food eaters and I would be open to other fun suggestions. (4 table). I considered not even having a table service this night since it is Eat to the Beat. I also considered doing a meal at Beaches and Cream after Illuminations, as we are looking at going to the Boardwalk to play after Epcot. But is that a table service or a counter / quick service?

Day 7: Hollywood, last full park day. 4 table service, 4 quick service.
Eat breakfast in CL. Pizza Planet - 4 quick service. End of day will end at Ohana - 4 table service. My kids loved it there. I didn't feel like we got great service (inattentive staff, no drink refills, interaction, seated very late, no lei - nothin). But my daughter thought the concept of them bringing the food around was sooo cool and then seeing Wishes with the music piped in.

Day 8: Travel day. 4 quick - (possibly).
Could eat breakfast in the Mara at AKL if I have remaining quick service credits to use up or loose, but probably in CL as I would rather figure out a plan to use them up during the week. Fly out. No time for parks.

20/28 quick service used.
36/28 table service used - over by 2 meals of four people.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
sookie
DIS Veteran

Bump! Please help!
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
OK, we are going for 7 days - staying at AKL. We do have 1 signature place so that eats up some credits.
7-days or 7-nights? DDP credits are allocated based on the number of nights.

Quote:
I am over by several table service credits. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to deluxe (Question 1: What does upgrading to deluxe usually cost?) and if it would be worth it to get my 7 year old upgraded to an adult on the dining plan? He usually has no problem ordering off the kiddie menu. Would we have to upgrade his tickets also?
Yes, you will need to upgrade him to an adult ticket as well. The upgrade cost depends on when you're going (peak versus non-peak season), but the adult DDP costs $55.59 per night and the DxDP costs $99.97 per night. So you would have to pay the difference ($44.38).

If you stay on the DDP it's worth noting that not everyone has to use credits or pay OOP at the same time. So you can mix and match the payment methods. Save the credits for the more expensive meals/items.

I would probably pay OOP for Jiko. I really like the venue, but it's hard to make a 2 TS location economically efficient while on the DDP. My general rule of thumb is that the entree needs to be about $55 to be cost effective, which is pretty hard to find at any Signature.

Quote:
I also considered doing a meal at Beaches and Cream after Illuminations, as we are looking at going to the Boardwalk to play after Epcot. But is that a table service or a counter / quick service?
Table Service
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
purple figment
DIS Veteran

I don't recommend upgrading to the DxDDP because you're staying CL and you're only over by 8 TS credits.

To make DxDDP worth while you should book approximately 2/3 - 3/4 of your credits at TS restaurants. That's a lot of food on top of the CL offerings.

If you stay with the DDP, you might want to consider paying Jiko OOP. The sigs usually aren't a good use of 2 credits because each TS credit is worth about $38 so it's often hard to order an entree, dessert and fountain drink totaling $76.

It looks like you're planning to go to BOG at least 3 times (Days 3 and 5). If your children want more than one photo op with the Beast, he's only there at dinner.

As far as 'Ohana, it tends to run behind schedule, especially as it gets closer to Wishes time. Also, not everyone will get leis. We didn't either. However, you can ask for them downstairs in the lobby.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post

I would probably pay OOP for Jiko. I really like the venue, but it's hard to make a 2 TS location economically efficient while on the DDP. My general rule of thumb is that the entree needs to be about $55 to be cost effective, which is pretty hard to find at any Signature.
Especially after the Sunrise Safari breakfast and Tusker House lunch. You might very well be rolling into Jiko. I know that some people can metabolize food really fast and not have that UGH feeling a few hours later, but that's definitely not me, and I was getting full just reading about your days.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
sookie
DIS Veteran

It is 7 nights.

Paying OOP for Jiko is the perfect idea! It had not come to my mind to just pay OOP for Jiko's 8 credits! That would really fix my problem!!!!!!!!! You guys rock with your creativity. I had racked my brain over and over about what to do.

I had to laugh about rolling into Jiko.... I worried about this! First world problems. But I think we might be. It is a little bit of a food heavy day. I think we will feel like oompa loompas. I just didn't know where else to fit it in, but I know we really want to go there!

I might still do a little bit of switching around - especially if I change day 5 (MK day). Since we are doing MK the night we arrive, as well as days 3 & 4, we might be just about full of the MK by day 5. If so, that might be a day to decide to stay closer to our resort and switch JIKO to that day. I might talk to my family about changing that BOG reservation.

It sounds like the deluxe plan might be too much food for us as it is, and it also sounds like my little guy probably is good on the plan we have.

Thanks for the pro tips on Ohana - that makes me feel a little better.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: