Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #46
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Our school district drivers ed is not behind the wheel. Drivers ed is a class taken in place of Health. This drivers ed class just allows the students to study for the written DMV exam. They do not do behind the wheel training here. Behind the wheel (required for 16 year old permit) is only by private driving school. Private driving school is not required is the teenager is 17.

When I was in high school, you could sign up for free behind the wheel and it was a lottery system. Out of the 700 people in my senior class, I was one of the few that got picked. I had to drive with the scary lady gym teacher!

If you drive almost everyday, you do get better at it. I've seen so many kids that have the permit and the parent forbid them to drive. How do you expect them to learn?

Drive them everywhere, city roads, rush hours, circles, interstates, to the airport, etc. As a teen I lived in a rural area and while it was easy to learn, you didn't have the experience of being on the interstate, parallel city parking, drive thrus, etc. If you learn in busy area, you can do anything. Nothing will seem scary.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Let the instructor do the instructing, and you do the reinforcing.
I took my kids to a quiet neighborhood with wide streets () and let them drive through there. There was stop signs, some roads had curves, and I made them practice parallel parking. Then I let them drive me to the store, then to my meetings, farther from home a little at a time with different challenges, pointing out things they should be aware of as we drove.

They all drive quite well, except dd#2 still likes to hug the lines on curves which makes me nervous!

ETA In NJ, they have to have 6 hours behind the wheel to get their permit. That takes a lot of pressure off us parents!!!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #48
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post

ETA In NJ, they have to have 6 hours behind the wheel to get their permit. That takes a lot of pressure off us parents!!!

They let kids drive without a permit?? Or 6 hours behind the wheel while in drivers education?
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #49
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineann View Post
Here's a tip handed down through my family.....take the new driver to a cemetery to practice. For obvious reasons, there is a reduced chance of hitting anyone.
Worked for us until a squirrel ran in front of the car and we almost hit 'Jesus'!!!
I started my youngest off in a huge, unoccupied parking lot. One of the first things I did was yell 'stop'!! I wanted to know that she would do it without question! Then it was on to straightforward driving. She got to practice on the roadways in and around that parking lot. Then we tried the cemetery. Very traumatizing for me!!!! Almost hitting a statue of Jesus indeed!!!
Then, I turned her over to Drivers Ed. We paid a ton of money for that. But it was worth it. Here in Mass, you can get your license at 16.5 but you have to take drivers ed. Otherwise, you have to wait until you're 18. Our drivers ed consisted of...
a parental class of 2 hrs.
12 hrs of behind the wheel in all sorts of situations
6 hrs observation from the back seat
30 hrs of classroom
40 hrs of behind the wheel with parents.
You can start classroom at 15.9, and get your permit at 16.

I taught both my older kids to drive with no problem. Even taught my son how to drive standard. When my daughter took her driving test, I sat in the back seat, very pregnant!! The testing officer kept glancing back to make sure he wasn't going to have to deliver a baby!!!
But when my youngest got to driving age, I discovered I didn't have the 'nerve' to teach her. Once we got out on the street, I became a nut case!!! And dh wasn't an option. So, she did very well in a more formal setting.

It's something they have to do a lot before they get comfortable.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #50
cookingqueen
Earning My Ears

In a previous life I was a driving school instructor- both classroom and behind the wheel- 12 long years!!

The best advice is to have your child drive all of the time- seriously all the time! You need to let them drive at night, in snow, rain wind etc because at some point it will be dark, snow rain etc when they are on the road and its better for you to help them prepare and practice. Also highway/freeways- again they will go on them eventually...

Definitely have the calmer person in the family take them- I really think that the best approach is a more hands off approach- less micro managing their driving - its too much for them to absorb, especially when they are driving and the passenger is barking out "suggestions".

A final piece of advice for when they get their license- no passengers in the car for a good long while- in my state the law is the first 6 months no friends in the car (anyone under 18) - loss of license and fine. This doesn't include immediate family members (brothers sisters) but you know the dynamic of your family- if the siblings don't get along its best to keep them out of the car so that your child can focus on driving and getting better. Nothing magical happens on the day your child gets his license - the day before they had their permit - so they still need lots of practice....
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #51
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I just wanted to offer my sympathy LOL, my dd finally got her license in July and now drives to school daily. It took two tries, and yes, I let the driving instructor take her on the busier roads before I did. My dh made her more nervous, so I was the one that got to do most of it.
I laugh at all the wine comments, because yes, wine is what I want when she goes out. Yet I'm afraid to drink it, in case something happens and I have to go pick her up LOL!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I was the calm person in the family who taught two sons to drive. Calm, I mean, to the point where I would occasionally nap while they were driving! I don't know where I mustered up that level of calm, haha!

Anyway, the biggest thing I did with my youngest son, before he ever turned a key, was have this talk: I told him that while he is driving, he knows nothing and I know everything. Nothing I tell him to do is debatable, everything I say is right. If he does not have that God-like respect for me during driving lessons, we do not do it, period.

This was a necessary exercise with a kid who argues with me about EVERYTHING. I was not about to have lengthy debates about decisions being made at 60mph.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #53
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Our school district got rid of drivers Ed years ago - budget cuts. Our choices are private driving school, a program run by the I. U. that costs $450, or teach your kid yourself.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA
Our school district got rid of drivers Ed years ago - budget cuts. Our choices are private driving school, a program run by the I. U. that costs $450, or teach your kid yourself.
Ours got rid of it when I was a senior way back in 1979!!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

The local high schools don't teach it either. There are 2 different driving schools. The one DS is going to is the only one with weekend classes (he is a cheerleader and weekday classes are out of the question) and the cost was $325.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #56
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

I had never been behind the wheel before Driver's Ed - that was a huge mistake. We started going and the instructor told me to apply the brake - never having done it before I slammed the brake - we were only going about 7mph - but it still was quite a jolt. Absolutely give them some experience before any behind the wheel instruction.

Now this was many years ago (I'm 57) and my mother still refuses to believe that it happened this way - but I got my permit and mom would take me out driving. Now mom was all into explaining how people "really" drive as opposed to how you are "supposed" to drive. So she wanted me to coast through stop signs if no one was around etc. Of course I am studying to pass the driver's test and that wasn't going to fly. We finally got in such a big argument about it, that I ripped up my permit and told he she could just drive me everywhere.

Several months later I got a second permit behind my mom's back. I did all my driving with my dad - which worked much better. I actually had my license for four months before I told my mom.

Now in general I think as a teen I got along better with mom than dad, but when it came to driving, dad was a better instructor.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #57
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

My best tip for teaching teens to drive is LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT.

My oldest son was a confident and safe driver, but my daughter was a Nervous Nellie. Oh my. She was afraid of everything and drove worse than a blue-haired lady. Sending her to Driver's Ed saved my sanity. She got a good foundation and eventually, after a lot of practice, became a decent driver.

Indeedy, it was worth every penny of the $500 I paid for their 40-hr driver's ed course.Not only that, we got a discount on insurance for it.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #58
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
Several months later I got a second permit behind my mom's back. I did all my driving with my dad - which worked much better. I actually had my license for four months before I told my mom.
I got both my license behind my mother's back. I had had my permit for over a year and my mother still didn't think I could drive right (of course, this pretty much matches everything else I did in my life~oy!) So, when I was 18 I got my boyfriend to drive me to the DMV and took the driver's test. I wasn't nervous at all, not even with the parallel parking, which is saying something given that I was driving a big Ford Econoline Van. I couldn't even see out the rear view windows! I had to use big side mirrors to see the traffic behind me. Only after I passed the test and had my license in hand did I get flustered. Then I looked down and realized I had my shirt on inside-out!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #59
peigirl
Mouseketeer

Here, in PEI, they can get their learners permit at age 16 and have to have it for 1 year (or 9 months if you take Drivers Ed) before you can take your road test. And you have to have a big yellow and black "L" sticker on the windsheild.

When you pass your drivers test, you have a big yellow and black "G" graduate sticker for 2 years on your windshield...for the first year of having your "G" you have certain restrictions...after the first year, many of these restrictions are lifted.

I took my DD18 today and she passed her road test (1st try was 2 weeks ago)..Last time she rolled thru stop signs and failed. She did not take drivers ed and wanted me to teach her but was very cranky everytime I instructed her...my lip should have a hole in it, I bit it so much.

Paula
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #60
peigirl
Mouseketeer

Here, in PEI, they can get their learners permit at age 16 and have to have it for 1 year (or 9 months if you take Drivers Ed) before you can take your road test. And you have to have a big yellow and black "L" sticker on the windsheild.

When you pass your drivers test, you have a big yellow and black "G" graduate sticker for 2 years on your windshield...for the first year of having your "G" you have certain restrictions...after the first year, many of these restrictions are lifted.

I took my DD18 today and she passed her road test (1st try was 2 weeks ago)..Last time she rolled thru stop signs and failed. She did not take drivers ed and wanted me to teach her but was very cranky everytime I instructed her...my lip should have a hole in it, I bit it so much.

Paula
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: