Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I hired a driving school to teach my mom how to drive- we could book as many hours as we wanted- I had them twice a week for an hour at a time for months! So it was 8 hours a month for at least six months and then they took her for her road test too.
I understand that is an option, but I don't know a single person in our lives who has done that for their teen. Everyone in my area who has used a driving school has used the standard six hours behind the wheel. In my opinion, that isn't anywhere near enough time on the road.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #32
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

If you think this may be a problem don't make the same mistake as us. My DH and I took our DD out together. Wrong decision! We ended up in a disagreement over technique. Poor kid could not get a word in because we made it about us. Too many leaders and not enough followers. Didn't make that mistake again. She will take the driving part next week.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

DD will be 16 in January so I've been taking her out to a very large closed down Walmart parking lot. I didn't let her use the gas at all at first..Just steering and breaks-and that was bad enough. She will drive in this lot a bunch of times before I will let her drive on the road (and have her permit).

My girlfriend let her son on the road with traffic the day he got his license, without ever having been behind the wheel. I think that is just crazy.

I did it this way with ds and by the time he was allowed to drive on the road, he was very comfortable with handling the car.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
My girlfriend let her son on the road with traffic the day he got his license, without ever having been behind the wheel. I think that is just crazy.

I did it this way with ds and by the time he was allowed to drive on the road, he was very comfortable with handling the car.
How in the world can someone get a license without ever having been behind a wheel???
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
oneprincessjo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
How in the world can someone get a license without ever having been behind a wheel???
Hahaha. That was me!!!! Prior to the laws that went into effect that you had to have x amount of training before taking the test. My parents never wanted to take me driving. Basically the first time I drove was for my driver's test. Took 3 times I think until I passed. Got the same guy each time I took the test, I have to give him credit for actually "teaching" me. This was back in 2001.

Edit: although I have never gotten any tickets or been in any accidents, I would never recommend my "technique" to anyone. I definitely drove 10 miles under the speed my first year out of nervousness.

February 25th - March 1st 2008: Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon and First EVER Disney World Trip!!!
November 28th - December 3rd 2010: Wilderness Lodge
February 26th - March 1st 2012: Bay Lake Tower
November 24th 2012: Old Key West
November 25th - 29th 2012: Bay Lake Tower
January 23rd 2014: Beach Club Villas
January 24th - 31st 2014: Bay Lake Tower
oneprincessjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

He is getting professionally taught. Thus the drivers education that he is starting next month.

However, he will need to log in 50 hours (If not more?) of driving time before he can get his license. And there is no way he will get 50 hours in drivers education.

He needs drivers education, and then after having his permit for 6 months he can get his license. And after he gets his license, 6 months later he can have friends in the vehicle.

I think the laws are great. But there is no way that I am going to just have the driving instructors take him driving. That is my responsibility also!
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We have 18 and 20 year old boys. The 20 year old just got his license at 18. So lots of driving education here over the last few years.

I was not laid back enough to do the driving instruction. Thankfully my husband was willing to take on most of it. He would take one of them out after dinner every night for a while. If you just make a habit of it, that 50 hours will add up faster than you know. It really didn't matter to us that there was a minimum number of hours. We never would have been comfortable sending them out with less than that.

Good luck with all of it. My gray hair ratio jumped substantially over the whole process. One more to go. She just entered the teens yesterday. 2 years of peace before she can get her permit.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
If you think this may be a problem don't make the same mistake as us. My DH and I took our DD out together. Wrong decision! We ended up in a disagreement over technique. Poor kid could not get a word in because we made it about us. Too many leaders and not enough followers. Didn't make that mistake again. She will take the driving part next week.
This is why the drivers ed guy wanted him in the car after in class session so that he didn't pick up bad habits from both of us.

As for going on the road we did put him on the road not much after he got his license. He went slowing around the block a few times. We don't avoid any streets because some day he will be going on those streets to get anywhere in town. With our licensing system here they are not allowed on any highways that are fast then 87 km/hr. Meaning no highway driving unless with a driver training person. Then they have to wait a year to do there driving test unless they take driving lessons then it can be done in 8 months.

You can have as many hours as you want with a driving instructor but you will pay big bucks for it. Well worth it too us.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #39
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My mistake! Her DS got his permit and drove home on busy roads without ever having been behind the wheel.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #40
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

My dad made my sister and I learn to drive with a standard car on hilly, wet dirt roads. I hated it but after 4 hours and several tears from both of us --- we could drive that car on any road down here --- please don't give me snow or ice, I can't drive on that -- we don't get that kind of weather. After that he made my sister drive him from Alabama to Detriot, MI. I got lucky (being the baby) I just had to drive around our small town. But I still hate driving in congested cities like Birmingham or Atlanta, I typically let my DH drive in these areas. That much traffic makes me nervous. Good thing its a rare day that we travel through those cities.

My DS (13 yrs) has been driving the truck on our farm since he was 12. So he can operate the truck fine. My DH plans to let him drive us to Disney once he gets his permit at 15. Just two more years and he will be on the road. Wow! Time flies.

Before I scare anyone who will be making a trip to Disney in 2 years, DS will have been driving for several months on the roads doing mini-trips prior to making the 6 hr drive to Orlando. So no worries!
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!

Last edited by DisneyWalle; 09-30-2013 at 02:49 AM.
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #41
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszdtrvl View Post
However, he will need to log in 50 hours (If not more?) of driving time before he can get his license. And there is no way he will get 50 hours in drivers education. !

Here, our drivers school gave them 6 hours behind the wheel (plus 10 hours of classroom time) and he had to have something like 40 other driving hours as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Prior to getting her permit, I took my daughter to the school parking lot several times and had her drive, park, back up, and several other things until I felt confident that she would listen to me and take it seriously plus do all of those things with ease.

She got her permit this past March and she has been driving me pretty much everywhere since. She drives at least once or twice a day, and while she still has questions and I feel like a am on edge a lot, she is doing very well. I let her drive around town a lot and she has also driven to my mothers house an hour and a half away several times. It's mainly two lane highways and a four lane too so it has been good experience.

She has not been on the interstate yet and I think that's important too. I say this because my dad put me behind the wheel on a trip to see my grandparents. I drove five hours straight and by the time I got there I felt like I could do most anything. That was stressful but it really did help me a lot.

She is taking drivers ed at school right now and her teacher has that the best thing that you can do for your child is to let them drive. They don't get enough drive time in during that class and the more experience they have the better they will be. I agree. Lindsey has been driving for months now and I still think she needs more time. It could just be that I'm not ready to turn her loose.

My oldest DD was different. She was horrible at the school parking lot and she wouldn't listen to me. I was to scared to let her drive, especially since she almost rear ended a police car. She actually learned in drivers ed and is a pretty good driver now. She has never had an accident, knock on wood, and she is 21.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #43
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I don't know what your DD has done while you are driving and she is a passenger, but my DS never knew how to get anywhere either and we chalked it up to his always texting or listening to his music with buds in, and never paying attention to where we are going. I finally told him that he needed to unplug and watch what I did and where I went.
It's not that she's texting or listening to music, she just doesn't know how to get places. I understand her completely.

I hate driving. I go where I need to go, but I don't enjoy it and I hate having to drive places I've never been. I can have gone past something as a passenger a bunch of times, but unless I have been the one to drive there, I usually wouldn't know how to get there. I have no sense of direction. GPS is my friend.

I think dd just shares my missing sense of direction. Dh, OTOH, has an impeccable sense of direction, and he just doesn't understand us.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #44
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Here, our drivers school gave them 6 hours behind the wheel (plus 10 hours of classroom time) and he had to have something like 40 other driving hours as well.
I believe the rules are the same here also. I know the drivers ed. teacher said that if he drives for 15 minutes a day for the next 6 months he will log the necessary driving time. I think that the kids need 30 hours of classroom time though here. He starts Oct 5th and ends Nov. 23rd. 2 hours each on Saturday & Sunday.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #45
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

My kid is taking driver ed, and dh has had her driving as well. Basically, whenever he's in the car with her, she's driving.

Her driver ed teacher commented that she's far ahead of the other four kids in "her car" and she told him that she'd been driving a lot with her dad. He said that's the way it ought to be. Most of the other kids' parents don't let them drive much at all.

Thank goodness dh has nerves of steel because I'd be just like those other parents!
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: