Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
SLK1
DIS Veteran

PTA question

Any PTA's out there have principals that simply do not appreciate your efforts? Ours likes to pretend she is supportive, but we all can see right through the baloney. She even went so far as to come to an end-of-year lunch and announce, "Well I have to get back to work. I have a REAL job". Our school is rated "A" but I honestly think it's more the teachers and their dedication AND the parents who care that make it an A.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
emer95
DIS Veteran

I am SHOCKED that the principal said that! WOW!

We have a PTO (not sure what the difference is between PTO and PTA) and we adore them! The principal, teachers, everyone is so thankful and appreciative of these women who give so selflessly of their time. Most of them also have full time jobs, and do this in their very limited free time because they care so much about our school. I'm the teacher rep on our PTO, and I try very hard to make sure they know how much we appreciate them. Our principal is the most supportive of them. I can't even imagine any reason why a principal would not be anything but grateful!
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

The only difference between PTO and PTA is the name.

We went to a private school and our Principal was like that. She was horrible and once came to the teacher appreciation dinner an hour late an drunk. I could go on and on but I won't bore you with the stories. We finally left because of her and then she left with no notice right after that.

This year we have 1 kid each in high school, middle and elementary. All 3 Principals are wonderful people.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I am SHOCKED that the principal said that! WOW!

We have a PTO (not sure what the difference is between PTO and PTA) and we adore them!
PTA is a registered trademark of PTA, and you have to pay to use it. PTO is just a way of having a parents association without violating the trademark and without having to pay the annual dues.

My neighbor is a retired high school Principal and he says parent organizations can be a blessing or a curse. Boils down to whether their efforts comply with the schools needs, and sometimes, within the law.

In his case, he hoped they would support new computers in all the classrooms, and new equipment for the science lab and textbooks.
They didn't.
They put their fundraising efforts behind lights and bleachers for the football field. For decades, 3 neighboring high schools shared a stadium with lights. Never an issue, other than the PTA parents wanted their kids to have their own stadium. Well, that triggered a HUGE outcry from neighbors, a zoning battle with the county, a court battle to remove a restriction put on the school site when it was built that it never have a stadium let alone a stadium with lights. He officially was neutral, but spent the next 3 years having to go to neighborhood meetings, planning commission meetings, county board of supervisor meetings, and court hearings......to go on the record saying the school had no position, even though he personally felt there were better things to spend the money on.
3 years later, the PTA group won, the bleachers put in, the lights put up, and the kids still didn't have their computers, science equipment or textbooks.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
Any PTA's out there have principals that simply do not appreciate your efforts? Ours likes to pretend she is supportive, but we all can see right through the baloney. She even went so far as to come to an end-of-year lunch and announce, "Well I have to get back to work. I have a REAL job". Our school is rated "A" but I honestly think it's more the teachers and their dedication AND the parents who care that make it an A.
Do you live here? I swear all our principal cares about is her resume.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
low-key
DIS Veteran

here is my first and lasting opinion of the PTA

Harper Vally PTA

I want to tell you all a story 'bout a Harper Valley widowed wife
Who had a teenage daughter who attended Harper Valley Junior High
Well her daughter came home one afternoon and didn't even stop to play
She said, "Mom, I got a note here from the Harper Valley P.T.A."

The note said, "Mrs. Johnson, you're wearing your dresses way too high
It's reported you've been drinking and a-runnin' 'round with men and going wild
And we don't believe you ought to be bringing up your little girl this way"
It was signed by the secretary, Harper Valley P.T.A.

Well, it happened that the P.T.A. was gonna meet that very afternoon
They were sure surprised when Mrs. Johnson wore her mini-skirt into the room
And as she walked up to the blackboard, I still recall the words she had to say
She said, "I'd like to address this meeting of the Harper Valley P.T.A."

Well, there's Bobby Taylor sittin' there and seven times he's asked me for a date
Mrs. Taylor sure seems to use a lot of ice whenever he's away
And Mr. Baker, can you tell us why your secretary had to leave this town?
And shouldn't widow Jones be told to keep her window shades all pulled completely down?

Well, Mr. Harper couldn't be here 'cause he stayed too long at Kelly's Bar again
And if you smell Shirley Thompson's breath, you'll find she's had a little nip of gin
Then you have the nerve to tell me you think that as a mother I'm not fit
Well, this is just a little Peyton Place and you're all Harper Valley hypocrites

No I wouldn't put you on because it really did, it happened just this way
The day my Mama socked it to the Harper Valley P.T.A.
The
Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

That's a horrible way to treat volunteers and a good way to lose the help that the volunteers provide! IMO, in many ways volunteer work is more "real" than work we get paid to do.

Fortunately, I always felt very supported by principals when I volunteered in the schools.

Unfortunately, there are people who simply think work is worth nothing if it's unpaid or doesn't get some sort of "reward." I worry when kids ask me "what do I get if I....?" because I think this attitude seems to be getting more prevalent.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
here is my first and lasting opinion of the PTA

Harper Vally PTA

I want to tell you all a story 'bout a Harper Valley widowed wife
Who had a teenage daughter who attended Harper Valley Junior High
Well her daughter came home one afternoon and didn't even stop to play
She said, "Mom, I got a note here from the Harper Valley P.T.A."

The note said, "Mrs. Johnson, you're wearing your dresses way too high
It's reported you've been drinking and a-runnin' 'round with men and going wild
And we don't believe you ought to be bringing up your little girl this way"
It was signed by the secretary, Harper Valley P.T.A.

Well, it happened that the P.T.A. was gonna meet that very afternoon
They were sure surprised when Mrs. Johnson wore her mini-skirt into the room
And as she walked up to the blackboard, I still recall the words she had to say
She said, "I'd like to address this meeting of the Harper Valley P.T.A."

Well, there's Bobby Taylor sittin' there and seven times he's asked me for a date
Mrs. Taylor sure seems to use a lot of ice whenever he's away
And Mr. Baker, can you tell us why your secretary had to leave this town?
And shouldn't widow Jones be told to keep her window shades all pulled completely down?

Well, Mr. Harper couldn't be here 'cause he stayed too long at Kelly's Bar again
And if you smell Shirley Thompson's breath, you'll find she's had a little nip of gin
Then you have the nerve to tell me you think that as a mother I'm not fit
Well, this is just a little Peyton Place and you're all Harper Valley hypocrites

No I wouldn't put you on because it really did, it happened just this way
The day my Mama socked it to the Harper Valley P.T.A.
The
unbelievable...you took my answer
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Our old principal was that way. It was really hit or miss with her - sometimes she was fully behind us and other times she felt she could dictate to us. We now have a new principal and he's amazing! It's so nice to work with somebody who really wants it to be a team effort.

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH), Oct. '14 (DLH), Nov. '14 (GCH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12
DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
unbelievable...you took my answer
, now is it really unbelievable
Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
, now is it really unbelievable
No, it's not
Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
Nope never ran across that attitude.

All I can say is, the kids need you more than ever with a principal with that type of attitude.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Ours is called a Home and School...does the prinicipal and H&S always see eye to eye...No, but 99% of the time they work as a team, and the two prinicipals that have been there since my kids started going there have been very appreciative of all the hard work the volunteer parents do.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
PTA is a registered trademark of PTA, and you have to pay to use it. PTO is just a way of having a parents association without violating the trademark and without having to pay the annual dues.

My neighbor is a retired high school Principal and he says parent organizations can be a blessing or a curse. Boils down to whether their efforts comply with the schools needs, and sometimes, within the law.

In his case, he hoped they would support new computers in all the classrooms, and new equipment for the science lab and textbooks.
They didn't.
They put their fundraising efforts behind lights and bleachers for the football field. For decades, 3 neighboring high schools shared a stadium with lights. Never an issue, other than the PTA parents wanted their kids to have their own stadium. Well, that triggered a HUGE outcry from neighbors, a zoning battle with the county, a court battle to remove a restriction put on the school site when it was built that it never have a stadium let alone a stadium with lights. He officially was neutral, but spent the next 3 years having to go to neighborhood meetings, planning commission meetings, county board of supervisor meetings, and court hearings......to go on the record saying the school had no position, even though he personally felt there were better things to spend the money on.
3 years later, the PTA group won, the bleachers put in, the lights put up, and the kids still didn't have their computers, science equipment or textbooks.
I would have agreed with the principal- a PTA is supposed to only do things that benefit ALL the children- they can't give to one group and not the other. Putting in those things would only be benefitting the sports kids and I would have been reporting that to council (if it was a pta and not a pto) before they even got started! PTA used to pay for the 5th grade trip but that got squashed because it was not benefitting all the kids, only the 5th graders.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
taitai
DIS Veteran

Our Principal is amazing and would never ever say anything like that. She hosts a volunteer appreciation event every year for all the parents and sends handwritten thank you notes to the Chairs of all the different PTO sponsored events. It is a symbiotic relationship. We need her and she needs us and everyone appreciates the others efforts.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: