Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
dansamy
DIS Veteran

You could estimate $50 per adult per day. Figure 2 kids as at least one adult. You're looking at a minimum of $150/day.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 Disney adult children 16 & 12. We use tables in wonderland.

We buy water, soda, Gatorade, breakfast, and some snacks for our room.

We budget:
$60 for counter service meal for all 4 of us
$35 for snacks for all 4 of us per day

We have found we like breakfast buffets non-character like Boma has become a favorite. We spend about $100 with tip for a breakfast like this and it is peaceful.

We are going for 8days and 8nights. We are taking $2500 in a food budget. It is our last trip for 2 years. We are celebrating our anniversary and our sons high school graduation in 2015 and sending him off to college in fall of 2015 hence no vacation until 2016.

Good luck. I agree with consulting prices.

I use 6.5% for tax.
18% for tip.
Most buffets include the price of beverage and tax in the price of the buffet.
Tip is almost always separate.
I go by this formula when figuring out my budget.

Good luck! Have a wonderful trip!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

$2,000+ (basically a little over $200 a day). Besides meals; gifts & Beers : Around the World add up quickly.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I think that $1000 is cutting it way to close for a ten day trip. Food adds up in Disney, and it is never fun to say no to snack and drinks during the day. We always have used the DDP and still budgeted $100 per day per adult for food and beverages. Kids are not too expensive to feed, and the CS meals are larger enough to share in may places, so yo don't need to budget as much for them. I would not go with less than $1500 and I would feel more comfortable with $2000. Go to Deb's all ears and check out the prices and menus so you have a better idea. Also, I would add in plenty of snack money because once you are walking through the parks, they all look so tempting!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
starousse
DIS Veteran

I'd say budget closer to the $2,000 mark.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
DisneyFirstTimer10
DIS Veteran

Thank you all. We were budgeting a minimum of 2000$ so you helped reassure us that we are on the right track.

Allison, David (DH), DS (8), DD (5)

POR-May 2010, OKW- Feb 2011, OKW/AOA- Oct 2013, Deciding where to stay-May 2015
DisneyFirstTimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

I am perplexed as to why those of you on DDP would still budget $100+ per day (per adult!!) more for food? That's near our whole budget for the day without DDP? And we eat when we go to the parks. We don't bring in sandwiches or snacks or water or anything at all. We have at least one CS and one TS per day. Plus F&W Fest and snacks.

I can't imagine what you'd be spending all that extra money on if your meals are already paid for via DDP.

Maybe you are using that budget for the gift shops as well?
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

For myself, DH and our dd who will be three we find our average daily spending for food and souvies, snacks drinks etc works out to be $225 per day. We have breakfast in our villa and that's not part of the daily $225. We do cs lunch and TS dinner.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I am perplexed as to why those of you on DDP would still budget $100+ per day (per adult!!) more for food? That's near our whole budget for the day without DDP? And we eat when we go to the parks. We don't bring in sandwiches or snacks or water or anything at all. We have at least one CS and one TS per day. Plus F&W Fest and snacks.

I can't imagine what you'd be spending all that extra money on if your meals are already paid for via DDP.

Maybe you are using that budget for the gift shops as well?
When you are on the DDP, you are still responsible for certain aspects of your meals. We enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner, will often share an appetizer, and do leave a tip, which we base on our entire bill. We will also add one or more TS meals onto our plan because we go to some of the signature dining restaurants. We will often come home with money, but if we want to have a cocktail while wandering around Epcot, or if we want one or two out by the pool, that money needs to be available in our food and beverage allowance. We do not generally buy many souvenirs, but we take enough for them JIC.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
When you are on the DDP, you are still responsible for certain aspects of your meals. We enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner, will often share an appetizer, and do leave a tip, which we base on our entire bill. We will also add one or more TS meals onto our plan because we go to some of the signature dining restaurants. We will often come home with money, but if we want to have a cocktail while wandering around Epcot, or if we want one or two out by the pool, that money needs to be available in our food and beverage allowance. We do not generally buy many souvenirs, but we take enough for them JIC.
Well that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I have never done DDP (we are off-siters), so I wasn't thinking about the alcohol/tip aspect of things. And I guess there probably wouldn't be enough snack credits to cover every little thing. I get it now.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I have never done DDP (we are off-siters), so I wasn't thinking about the alcohol/tip aspect of things. And I guess there probably wouldn't be enough snack credits to cover every little thing. I get it now.
It depends on a lot of things when we are in the park. If it is hot, we will end up buying more cold drinks or ice cream. If it is cold, you know we will want hot beverages or soup before a meal. If my husband is with us, we tend to spend more, ( he thinks a light breakfast is eggs, bacon and toast with home fries) and if my family all comes the amount per person is reduced because we tend to share more of the extras.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Yeah. I'm just thinking the DDP makes even less sense (for us) than I thought. If you're spending pretty much what we spend for all our food just for the extras, I can't see how we'd save very much overall if we tried onsite. Especially since the onsite rooms are so much more than what we pay offsite.

A typical day for us is

Eat breakfast in the room (yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee)
Eat a snack of some sort in the park (coffee, rice Krispie treat or whatever)
Eat a CS lunch (like a lobster roll at CHH or this year we will do BOG)
Eat snacks here and there (Dole Whips, or whatever I feel like! ).
Eat a TS dinner (this year we have 'Ohana, Cape May, Biergarten, Raglan Road and Via Napoli booked). This year we didn't book any signature dining, but in years past we usually do.

Add in F&W Festival and lots of bottled water throughout the day, plus beer for the DH.

All of that usually adds up to about $900 total for the week. That comes to $150 per day for both of us. Which is what you mentioned you bring in "extra" cash.

So that is why I was perplexed (and it still seems to me like you guys have a LOT of "extra"!).
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 on DDP and just returned from a 10 day stay. We spent about $900 over and above DDP (tips, tax, souvenirs, alcohol, etc)

Our kids discovered pin trading.....that really added up with 3 kids!! LOL

For you, I'd bring $2000 to $2500 just to be safe.

Have fun!!

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary 9/2014 Yacht Club
*We're working that annual pass before time runs out!

snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
angierae
DIS Veteran

When I'm on the DDP I generally don't buy extras, so all I have to budget for is tips. When DD, her friend and I went I think I spent $300 on tips for the whole week, but we only had one TS per day. (And I tip 18-20%)

This next trip we will be at WDW for three days, and I have budgeted $300 for DD18 and I.

10/20: Kona Lunch (late, just before party) ($55), snack during MNSSHP: ($12)
10/21: Teppan Edo Lunch ($85), Pizza Planet Dinner ($18), snack ($12) (Pizza Planet is so cheap because we're eating a late lunch at Teppan so we think we should be able to split a salad/pizza)
10/22: 1900 Park Fare breakfast ($60), CS lunch somewhere ($30)

This is highly rounded up, and totals $272. I rounded up to $300. Anything either of us wants beyond that can come out of our personal spending money.

(I plan on having things in the room to eat for breakfast)

I would highly recommend heading over to AllEars.net and looking at what you're likely to eat in order to budget out the stuff you KNOW you'll have to pay for, and then decide on a budget for "extras".

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
mi*vida*loca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah. I'm just thinking the DDP makes even less sense (for us) than I thought. If you're spending pretty much what we spend for all our food just for the extras, I can't see how we'd save very much overall if we tried onsite. Especially since the onsite rooms are so much more than what we pay offsite. A typical day for us is Eat breakfast in the room (yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee) Eat a snack of some sort in the park (coffee, rice Krispie treat or whatever) Eat a CS lunch (like a lobster roll at CHH or this year we will do BOG) Eat snacks here and there (Dole Whips, or whatever I feel like! ). Eat a TS dinner (this year we have 'Ohana, Cape May, Biergarten, Raglan Road and Via Napoli booked). This year we didn't book any signature dining, but in years past we usually do. Add in F&W Festival and lots of bottled water throughout the day, plus beer for the DH. All of that usually adds up to about $900 total for the week. That comes to $150 per day for both of us. Which is what you mentioned you bring in "extra" cash. So that is why I was perplexed (and it still seems to me like you guys have a LOT of "extra"!).
When we went in 2008 we took 1500 cash and no dining plan. We ate well for the week and bought souvenirs.

2009 and 2011 we had the ddp and still took about 1500 and spent a big chunk of it.

This trip we will not be doing the ddp. I am budgeting 2000-2500 for the week for food souvenirs and any extras.

Ddp doesn't make sense for us anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: