Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #1456
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous for me to BUY or RENT a wheelchair I very literally do not need.

We will likely just have to let our annual passes go... or mine anyway and the kids can go when the husband can take them.

Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.

Not really a huge deal I guess... there are a million other ways to spend my money in Central Florida we just loved Disney so much.
Sorry you feel that way but I am sure Disney won't mind to refund your ap for the unused part. They have done that with other guests their thing you can do with out das. At each attraction that has stairs which is not that many is talk to the cm and explain you can't do stairs. They supposd to help you and they will accommodate you. You can use fast pass and hopefully that line won't be so long. Once fast pass plus come to aps you be able to plan it better. So their are thing that you can do without needing the das. I know with the gac it was used like a unlimited fast pass so the wait was less. And with the gac they always suggested a wheelchair for mobility and stamina issues so that not new.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1457
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Sorry you feel that way but I am sure Disney won't mind to refund your ap for the unused part. They have done that with other guests their thing you can do with out das. At each attraction that has stairs which is not that many is talk to the cm and explain you can't do stairs. They supposd to help you and they will accommodate you. You can use fast pass and hopefully that line won't be so long. Once fast pass plus come to aps you be able to plan it better. So their are thing that you can do without needing the das. I know with the gac it was used like a unlimited fast pass so the wait was less. And with the gac they always suggested a wheelchair for mobility and stamina issues so that not new.
ReallY?! I, doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised.

Most of the times CM's recommend getting a FP however.... since we rarely are there early in the day that is 90% of the time not a viable option either. If we had the ability to add FP+ that would likely be the best solution for us... since we usually will go and only do one ride (maybe two) anyway.

They never, ever, ever suggested a wheelchair prior. I explained my needs and I got a pass that accommodated the specific needs... without having to explain at each attraction. Even when I was in a wheelchair for a while they still gave me the pass with my needed accommodations since I wasn't in it 100% of the time.

Like I said... I will do what I can until the pass expires. I was just wondering if this has been everyone's experience.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1458
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ReallY?! I, doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised.

Most of the times CM's recommend getting a FP however.... since we rarely are there early in the day that is 90% of the time not a viable option either. If we had the ability to add FP+ that would likely be the best solution for us... since we usually will go and only do one ride (maybe two) anyway.

They never, ever, ever suggested a wheelchair prior. I explained my needs and I got a pass that accommodated the specific needs... without having to explain at each attraction. Even when I was in a wheelchair for a while they still gave me the pass with my needed accommodations since I wasn't in it 100% of the time.

Like I said... I will do what I can until the pass expires. I was just wondering if this has been everyone's experience.
They have maybe not for you since try had a stamp but if it for mobility or stamina they supposed suggest a wheelchair.

You can always go and explain why and see what they will do or wait to it expires.

I got the Mickey monitor and it said in 2014 aps will get magic bands and fast pass plus.

Once you stay at a resort you be able to make fast pass plus with out a resort stay for ap.

For now you just need that one stay and your good or wait to aps get it on 2014. But I guess having to book a stay won't be something you want to do as you live in Florida.

With more people using fast pass I wonder if more fast passes are available later in the day.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #1459
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
They have maybe not for you since try had a stamp but if it for mobility or stamina they supposed suggest a wheelchair.

You can always go and explain why and see what they will do or wait to it expires.

I got the Mickey monitor and it said in 2014 aps will get magic bands and fast pass plus.

Once you stay at a resort you be able to make fast pass plus with out a resort stay for ap.

For now you just need that one stay and your good or wait to aps get it on 2014. But I guess having to book a stay won't be something you want to do as you live in Florida.

With more people using fast pass I wonder if more fast passes are available later in the day.
We stayed in October and still aren't able to make FP+ ~ maybe new since then? I do have Magic Bands but they told us they couldn't link our AP to them.

We stay often so we can use the resort pools and such.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1460
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We stayed in October and still aren't able to make FP+ ~ maybe new since then? I do have Magic Bands but they told us they couldn't link our AP to them.

You should have linked your AP yourself. It is a link in your profile and just a few clicks and it is linked. I linked mind in July so it has worked since then. And you would of had continued access since your first magic band stay.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1461
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My mom is a ap and she was able link it to magic band we didn't try it at the park yet we supposed to go on oct by couldn't. Was satin contemporary and they was the ones testing but now all should be. I have the premier pass which I had to Sally I get them to link but said they could do it so I could use it to enter the park just so I could make fat pass plus. Do you have the app from Disney try linking ten from their and if not call and they should be able to help. They have you magic bands but not use of fast pass plus that weird but all resort how should are use with fast pass plus. If the swan and dolphin can use fat pass plus but have to do it the same day. I now they have been having problems with them. Also letting aps test them was new I think later in oct so that's could be why but you should be able to know.

Last edited by disney david; 11-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #1462
Tripletmom2001
Earning My Ears

We are here at Disney this week. We started the day at Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, the Toy Story ride was not working in the morning and into the early afternoon. By the time it was up, the standby line was 120 minutes. We left and went to Epcot for a late lunch, early dinner. I was able to get a test track return time with 110 minute wait. The ride went down just as we were entering, before our DAS was crossed off. Does anyone know if we can go back to Epcot tomorrow and use that DAS return time? We ended up leaving the park at 6:30 after riding only mission space. My son's two favorite rides are Toy Story and Test Track. He really doesn't care much about any of the others. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1463
Bete
DIS Veteran

I have a few thoughts; take it or leave it.

Quote:
So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?

First, if you can't navigate stairs then you need to avoid those situations. There are not that many rides you are giving up in that regard.

Next, I would buy a portable, travel wheelchair. You don't have to rent. There is one we used for my mom that weighs 15 pounds. The cost of these wheelchairs range from $88 to $150 without tax. When you want to walk you use the wheelchair as a walker and push it yourself. It can be empty and you can push it. When you need to sit when their are slanted ramps and such then you can have a seat. I don't necessarily suggest this, but a few times my husband and I actually carried the wheelchair down and up a few stairs, but my mom only weighed around 110 pounds. The wheelchair had a seatbelt. Depending on your weight I believe the two kiddies could actually push you in some situations if they worked each side together. In the nursing home my mom would actually pedal the wheelchair with her feet herself and get around. This wheelchair folds up and fits in a lot of car trunks. There are rides where you can take the wheelchair right on the ride. This type of wheelchair would change your experience at Disney and I believe you could probably do 85% of the rides. I'm a woman in my sixties and pushed my mom all day in this wheelchair and I survived.

If you are not willing to make this adjustment then you may have to enjoy Disney in a different way. We went to see the shows and live entertainment and the way Disney would decorate the parks especially at Christmas. We only did about half of the rides. We still enjoyed our time at Disney; we could be together as a family.

It's really up to you. I would want to be with the family and enjoy Disney and I would make it work somehow.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #1464
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all...
Quote:
Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.
I'm confused. Why haven't you ridden any rides at all? The majority don't have inclines or stairs so is there some other issue that you experience preventing you from riding anything? For the minority of attractions that DO have inclines or stairs, talk to the CM at the entrance to the queue and explain your problem, but for the others, why haven't you ridden?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #1465
intheshadows
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletmom2001 View Post
We are here at Disney this week. We started the day at Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, the Toy Story ride was not working in the morning and into the early afternoon. By the time it was up, the standby line was 120 minutes. We left and went to Epcot for a late lunch, early dinner. I was able to get a test track return time with 110 minute wait. The ride went down just as we were entering, before our DAS was crossed off. Does anyone know if we can go back to Epcot tomorrow and use that DAS return time? We ended up leaving the park at 6:30 after riding only mission space. My son's two favorite rides are Toy Story and Test Track. He really doesn't care much about any of the others. Thanks
I will send you a PM with a suggestion.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #1466
sammatt
Mouseketeer

I would love to see the first post updated on which attractions are giving out return time cards for wheelchairs. I am trying to plan our trip, and knowing which attractions give out cards would really help in knowing which attractions to use FP+ on.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #1467
WDW-BWV
Mouseketeer

Yes I would like to understand this topic too. I had a field report from a co-worker who checked out SW for me. She talked to the CM who was at the WC entrance and was told FP+ would be a waste because you will be given a time on a slip to come back . What's confusing is the discussion that of your needs are met with a WC is that you don't need a DAS card. So why would our DS need a return time and just can't wait in the WC access lane like before ?

Any info or thoughts???

HoJo's WDW Village
Hilton WDW Village
Port Orleans
Poly
Widerness Lodge Villas
All Start Sports (With 40 kids!)
BW Inn
BWV - DVC
BLT - DVC

Hurricane Charlie
Tropical Storm Faye

KUNGALOOSH!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #1468
Wendydagny
Mouseketeer

My understanding is that the wheelchair entrances are giving return time cards that are completely separate from the DAS. I've seen pictures of them on various blogs about the DAS. What is not clear is what the official policy is on getting a wheelchair card instead of using your DAS for a return time. Can you use both options?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1469
sammatt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendydagny View Post
My understanding is that the wheelchair entrances are giving return time cards that are completely separate from the DAS. I've seen pictures of them on various blogs about the DAS. What is not clear is what the official policy is on getting a wheelchair card instead of using your DAS for a return time. Can you use both options?
If your needs are met by having a wheelchair, you don't get any special card. Your wheelchair serves as your cue to the cast members that you need mobility accommodations. In case of attractions that are not accessible via the standby line, the attendant may redirect you to an alternate entrance right away or give you a return card for later. I'm just not sure which attractions they are giving the return cards for.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #1470
Wendydagny
Mouseketeer

Right I get that. My daughter is in a wheelchair AND has needs that require a DAS. What I'm not sure about is if she can get a wheelchair return card independent of her DAS, or if that is "cheating the system".
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: