Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #1111
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
That kind of abuse of the system is sickening. I wish there was some kind of safeguard against that kind of abuse. It is true that FP are gone earlier and standby lines are longer. We stayed offsite for the 2nd time since DAS started. The most attractions we were able to hit in a day was 2, since standby isn't an option. On Friday, DS needed his DAS renewed, but the queue to get into GS at Epcot was too long and in the sun at 4pm, so we ate at Sunshine Seasons and walked around. By 7pm the queue was not in the sun and was still lined up out the door. Got his DAS renewed. He was beat, so headed home. Saturday was our Sea World day. Got one attraction in there, the new penguin one (110 minute wait for the non-rider) and trick or treating. Then headed back to the motel. Sunday was our MNSSHP. Went on Buzz and the speedway before the party started. Then focused on the party. Monday was back to Epcot. No rides at all. Did 2 countries of Agent P and a few Kidcot stops. Spent a nice amount of time up in the Chase Lounge. With GAC the most attractions we were able to do in a day averaged 4 rides. So DAS has halfed that. And for him there's no coasters, no simulators, no TSM, no tea cups, etc. If we did not have annual passes and did not live so close to the parks, it would be a waste of money for us to go. Being nearby and having the annual pass allows us the opportunity to go frequently and enjoy what we can do. We are stopping and smelling the roses. Doing and seeing things that are not rides.
I'm confused. Did you not try and use the das after you had it? Or did you try and couldn't for some reason. For example you said on Monday you did agent p and kidcot. Did you try a ride but it not work out or did you just decide not to even try.
Gracie09 is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #1112
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I encountered this issue earlier this month at FOTLK , I travelled with a group of 8 Developmentally disabled who also had other disabilities 3 of whom needed floor seating . We had a FP+ for the show and as instructed went thru this line . We explained the need for floor seating and were told by 2 cms we should have gone thru the wheelchair entrance . We did not get floor seating and 3 tripped . I did tell a cm and I did call Disney the lady I contacted thru Special Needs di not confirm the going thru the wheelchair line but she did say ALWAYS politely ask for a Supervisor if you are not seated where your special needs require you sit. One more thing there was plenty of floor seating available .
I hope they weren't hurt when they tripped.

I'm glad you shared the advice given to you.
lovethattink is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #1113
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblondie View Post
It says that the time you will be given is the current wait time - 10-15minutes. What happens if the wait time is 15 minutes? Do they want you then to only use the normal line?
It wait time minus 10mins. If it is 15 then you wait 5 mins.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #1114
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
I'm confused. Did you not try and use the das after you had it? Or did you try and couldn't for some reason. For example you said on Monday you did agent p and kidcot. Did you try a ride but it not work out or did you just decide not to even try.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is my son's 2nd DAS. It just isn't working out very well for him. He picks an attraction then changes his mind when it's time to ride, or is ready to leave the park, or gets side tracked by catching a lizard or something else and doesn't want to ride like he did originally.

That particular day you are asking about, we didn't even try.

On Sunday we were given two anytime/same day FP because the cm at Epcot who was unable to print out our party tickets on Friday, surprised us when she said we could pick up 2 fast passes when we go to the MK to pick up the party tickets. She said it was for the extra time involved for the run around.

It was a very appreciated gesture and we used one of them to ride Buzz Lightyear on Sunday. The other one we didn't use. But did use the DAS to ride the speedway. Much to our surprise it was at 10 minutes, so he got to go right in line. Maybe we just have to stick to those with a 10 minute wait for him?

The same thing has happened to us at Universal. More times than not, we go home with a wait time not used. That's why I'm hoping Disney will up the time from 10 minutes to a longer period of time, or give leniency on FP return time.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #1115
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblondie View Post
It says that the time you will be given is the current wait time - 10-15minutes. What happens if the wait time is 15 minutes? Do they want you then to only use the normal line?
I didn't see it in the first 4 posts (the ones SueM is editing with updated info) but I thought that if the standby wait time is 15 minutes or less, the guest would be sent in the stand by queue.
__________________
July '13 - CBR Aug '14 - PC
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #1116
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
I didn't see it in the first 4 posts (the ones SueM is editing with updated info) but I thought that if the standby wait time is 15 minutes or less, the guest would be sent in the stand by queue.
The official rule is that if the wait time is 10 minutes or less, the guest will be sent directly to the appropriate queue, which is most likely not the stand by queue, as there may be reasons that the standby queue doesn't work for the individual, regardless of the length of wait. This is what is written on the Disney site that is SueMN has previously linked to.

It has been reported on here that some CMs are allowing people straight in when the line is a 15 minute wait or so, not seeing the point of making someone wait 5 minutes. But that is up to the CM.
cmwade77 is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #1117
mrzrich
DIS Veteran
 
mrzrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,227

As for the 10 to 15 min wait, the answer is "it depends". Truly.

IASW had a 15 min wait and the CM let us in the FP line immediately. POTC had a 15 min time and the CM said either wait 5 min or get in the Stand by line.

Spaceship Earth had a 10 min wait and they let us right in the FP line. Under the Sea had a 10 minute wait and they sent us to the Standby line.
__________________
mrzrich is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #1118
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
DD is usually 'dear daughter' but in this context I think she means 'developmentally disabled'.
I think the OP will have to clarify it because I could be taken either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblondie View Post
It says that the time you will be given is the current wait time - 10-15minutes. What happens if the wait time is 15 minutes? Do they want you then to only use the normal line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
As for the 10 to 15 min wait, the answer is "it depends". Truly.

IASW had a 15 min wait and the CM let us in the FP line immediately. POTC had a 15 min time and the CM said either wait 5 min or get in the Stand by line.

Spaceship Earth had a 10 min wait and they let us right in the FP line. Under the Sea had a 10 minute wait and they sent us to the Standby line.
I think 'it depends' is probably going to be the answer.

There are some attractions that don't have a Fastpass entrance. There are also times (like right after park opening) when the Fastpass line is not operating.

For many people, 5-10 minutes in the Standby line will work. So, it is up to the guest to explain if they are sent there and can't use that line.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #1119
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Did you tell the CM at the queue entrance that people in your group need floor seating due to disabilities? It's best to inform the CM at the queue entrance of any seating needs. What reason were you given once inside that you couldn't sit in those floor level seats? Just because you hadn't gone through the wheelchair line?
I agree that the place to ask is at the queue entrance. That CM would be the one to direct people with non-visible disabilities where to go. The wheelchair waiting area is beyond that point.

I wonder if the floor seating was already filled or did not have space for that size of party?

There really is not that much floor level seating.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #1120
AutisticAlice
Earning My Ears
 
AutisticAlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40

I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but I have some concerns. I understand you can come BACK to the ride at certain amount of time. However, my concern is for those who are unable to understand that they can't ride at that moment. I think this is going to cause a lot of issues for those with autism, including me. For me, things have to be done now. They can't wait until later or I will have a massive meltdown. I'm also bad with time and so are my parents. I just feel like this would become more of a disaster. I really liked the GAC because you didn't have to worry about coming back to the line when it was shorter. That's my concern/opinion on this.
__________________
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. [laughs maniacally; starts to disappear] You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Cheshire Cat <3

You are free to read my story here. It's called Wish Upon a Star and it's about an autistic girl's first WDW adventure. ^_^
AutisticAlice is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #1121
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutisticAlice View Post
I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but I have some concerns. I understand you can come BACK to the ride at certain amount of time. However, my concern is for those who are unable to understand that they can't ride at that moment. I think this is going to cause a lot of issues for those with autism, including me. For me, things have to be done now. They can't wait until later or I will have a massive meltdown. I'm also bad with time and so are my parents. I just feel like this would become more of a disaster. I really liked the GAC because you didn't have to worry about coming back to the line when it was shorter. That's my concern/opinion on this.
They can have someone else take their DAS card yo the attraction and get a Return Time for them.
That way they don't have to go up to the attraction and not ride.
They can just go once, when it is time to board.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-31-2013 at 06:27 PM.
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #1122
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck

I didn't see it in the first 4 posts (the ones SueM is editing with updated info) but I thought that if the standby wait time is 15 minutes or less, the guest would be sent in the stand by queue.
But *I* would have a problem with being sent to the standy by queue... I'd rather have a return time.
The reason I will have a DAS is because it is not "suitable" or "safe" (in my best interest) for me to be in the standby queue and those are "rough approximations." Sometimes they are more accurate than other times. And I have known MANY times where those times have been off....WAY OFF...and not in the guests' favor.
stitchlovestink is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #1123
gee1209
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26

Just an update...I went to gr at the gateway entrance in Epcot without my son this morning asking about a das for myself explaining that I have an autoimmune disease (lupus) and due to the died effects of my meds it effects my stomach requiring me to access a bathroom at short notice. Also the the dun exposure causes a bad reaction. I was told to use fastpasses. After my son arrive in Epcot later with my husband we went to gr close to the main entrance ..agin explaining my son has ADHD and has diifficulty standing in long longs without becoming overwhelmed ...I was again told yo utilize fastpass. We took our time and managed today but the crowd levels were low. My concern is mk tomorrow. I may attempt another request for the das because I think this park will be more trying for both of us.
gee1209 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #1124
jmrothermel
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1209 View Post
Just an update...I went to gr at the gateway entrance in Epcot without my son this morning asking about a das for myself explaining that I have an autoimmune disease (lupus) and due to the died effects of my meds it effects my stomach requiring me to access a bathroom at short notice. Also the the dun exposure causes a bad reaction. I was told to use fastpasses. After my son arrive in Epcot later with my husband we went to gr close to the main entrance ..agin explaining my son has ADHD and has diifficulty standing in long longs without becoming overwhelmed ...I was again told yo utilize fastpass. We took our time and managed today but the crowd levels were low. My concern is mk tomorrow. I may attempt another request for the das because I think this park will be more trying for both of us.
I would have said, what about Test Track, when FP is gone by 10am? This would make me so angry! I hope we don't run into this during our trip next week!
jmrothermel is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1125
pampam
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
They can have someone else take their DAS card yo the attraction and get a Return Time for them.
That way they don't have to go up to the attraction and not ride.
They can just go once, when it is time to board.
There are only 2 in our party, DD and myself. I hope there is another solution. I'll find out in January.
pampam is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: