Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #391
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzCMlightyear View Post
The re-admission passes given out at GR now seems to be a way of making the change easier on everyone and will most likely not continue in the future. If the pass has DAS written on it, the DAS card issued must be shown at the time of redemption and must be used by the one pictured.
That was the impression I got. Get your return time for the DAS, use the fastpasses, and then return at the time on the DAS. That way, they get to ride twice in quick succession.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-11-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #392
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarak View Post
That was the impression I got. Get your return time for the DAS, use the fastpasses, and then return at the time on the DAS. That way, they get to ride twice in quick succession.
Yes that's exactly what it is. It'll be a temporary procedure until people understand that they can use the regular FP system also to double up their rides.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #393
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes that's exactly what it is. It'll be a temporary procedure until people understand that they can use the regular FP system also to double up their rides.
If this is true-all Disney is doing is feeding the beast. If at some point those "extra" Fastpasses are going to go away-then people will flip about that.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #394
HollyEpcot
Mouseketeer

Wheelchairs and mainstreamed lines- question about how they are managed

Hi! Given all of the discussion on this site, I hope this isn't too trivial a question, but how are wheelchairs managed on mainstream lines? As of now, unless his condition worsens, we expect that Grandpa will be able to transfer out of his manual wheelchair for rides. Is there enough room available for this? At what point does the transfer occur? How do we know where to get the wheelchair when the ride is over?
Thank you very much for your help!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #395
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

I have been thinking about this since the announcement of the change. Yes, it will make our usual way of touring different. Taking note of that, I have been wondering how I can make the DAS work for my DD and how I can be sure that the experience is a positive one. Maybe I am up in the night (which I most often am - both figuratively and literally) with my current plan.

My DD doesn't like surprises and she like to know what is happening next or what will happen. She likes to have things pretty spelled out for her prior to taking action. Sometimes I get tired of the constant "Let's discuss this" comments. However, if I don't stop and discuss things, her frustration level with just increase and her "beaker will overflow."

My plan is for DD to read, watch youTube, videos, etc. and decide on the attractions that are "must dos." We will go armed with this information as well as parade times, show times, park hours, menu ideas, etc before even leaving our house for our trip. If DLR was using FP+ we would be armed with that before leaving as well.

Since our trip will involve me picking up my race packet at the Disneyland Hotel as well as our Park Tickets first thing, this will be on our "Daily Schedule" sheet. After that, visiting GR to get a DAS will be listed. My DD and I will utilize FP or get a RT or both for the attractions she wants to go on first. We will also utilize one of the Park Apps that indicate the wait times. Armed with this information, we can then make a schedule or a plan. While we are waiting for either our FP or RT, we can have lunch, visit a shop, or just enjoy the fun on Main Street. Rinse, repeat.

One of the positive things - in my mind - is that there will be several times during the course of our day that we will need to sit down, re-group, and discuss what is going to happen next. This will provide many opportunities for DD to keep her frustration and overloaded feelings in check. It will also provide me with opportunities to think about what is working and what isn't working so great.

Yes, it might be a slower pace. Yes, it will be different. Yes, it is doable.

YMMV - this is just my current thinking on how to handle this change.

My mother always told me you get out of life what you put into it. It is my believe that if you go into something with a negative attitude and expectations, that is what you will get back - a negative experience.
I want our upcoming trip to be a positive experience for both my DD and me.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #396
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
If this is true-all Disney is doing is feeding the beast. If at some point those "extra" Fastpasses are going to go away-then people will flip about that.
The "extra" fastpasses will never go away, but will change to the FP+ system (hopefully by the end of the month/ early November, buts that's a different conversion all together.) But the extra FPs that anyone with a DAS can use will never leave.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #397
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Crohn's help

Heya-
Sorry to detract (derail?) from the current trending but I had a question that I'm hoping I can get answered maybe.

Hubby has Crohn's, and has been increased on his infusion treatments in the couple of weeks, which is going to change how we work the parks. We managed before with just renting an ECV when he was having a bad day, but I'm worried that with the increase in treatments may cause an increase in fatigue/stamina issues/incidents. We're going during a slower time (week after Thanksgiving) but I had a couple of questions.

1. Does the new DAS work during special events like the Christmas Party? Or do we have to get a special/new/different thing if needed?

2. Would a DAS even work for something like Crohn's where you need to get out of the line quickly for something? I'm not worried about waits, but just an exit strategy if needed for emergencies? Or is that not possible any more (it used to be with the GAC but his Crohn's was never that severe)?

Thanks-

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #398
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyEpcot View Post
Hi! Given all of the discussion on this site, I hope this isn't too trivial a question, but how are wheelchairs managed on mainstream lines? As of now, unless his condition worsens, we expect that Grandpa will be able to transfer out of his manual wheelchair for rides. Is there enough room available for this? At what point does the transfer occur? How do we know where to get the wheelchair when the ride is over?
I'll start this off by saying that your family does not need (and will not receive) a DAS for this.

It is different for each attraction. The majority of attractions have standby queues that are w/c accessible, and for those that do not, you will be directed to the correct queue for that specific attraction. If you have any doubt, simply ask a CM! The transfer location will also differ for every attraction, with almost all of them being directly next to the ride vehicle if needed. Once again if you are not sure just ask!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #399
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tinkerbell View Post
Edited above to shorten my response :D

Another hint I would give is this:

If you are going to experience a show or parade, get a DAS filled out for an attraction you want to experience right after, so by the time that show/parade is done, you don't have to wait any longer, and your child doesn't have to feel like they are being turned away!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #400
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyEpcot View Post
Hi I cant fully help but know a little information for you.

There is usually plenty of room to transfer and you usually transfer some of the rides have walkways at the end. So consider if this is a problem, some can be stopped-there is a list in the FAQ (I think)

Some mainstream queues are not accessible by wheelchairs e.g. at MK Splash Mountain, wheelchair users enter via the exit.
At these rides-you need to see the cast member at the entrance to the main queue, you will then be given a card (like a fastpass card with a return time)

Personally im wondering if you can get more than one of these at a time?
We usually do Splash & Big thunder together, so I wonder if we can get a return time for both of these at the same time as theyre the only things we do in that area.
Does anyone know?

Wheelchairs are usually waiting as you get off the ride or near the exit.
The cast members are very good at putting them in the right spot and if they recognise you, they'll bring the wheelchair closer if they can.
We've been during the busy times in August and the system has run well.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort

Last edited by darthtatty; 10-10-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #401
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Edited above to shorten my response :D

Another hint I would give is this:

If you are going to experience a show or parade, get a DAS filled out for an attraction you want to experience right after, so by the time that show/parade is done, you don't have to wait any longer, and your child doesn't have to feel like they are being turned away!
Great suggestion! Thanks so much for that tip. I knew if I put my current thinking out, I would get ideas for better planning.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #402
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Great suggestion! Thanks so much for that tip. I knew if I put my current thinking out, I would get ideas for better planning.
You're welcome! Us CMs are very knowledgeable with hints, especially with this new DAS system since we are the ones who have learned the ins and outs of it for weeks now.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #403
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
I'll start this off by saying that your family does not need (and will not receive) a DAS for this.

It is different for each attraction. The majority of attractions have standby queues that are w/c accessible, and for those that do not, you will be directed to the correct queue for that specific attraction. If you have any doubt, simply ask a CM! The transfer location will also differ for every attraction, with almost all of them being directly next to the ride vehicle if needed. Once again if you are not sure just ask!
That's one thing many disagree with, Disney assume people in wheelchairs do not need the DAS. we all know what happens when you assume.

My son has limited time in the parks due to his disability, he is in constant pain and everyday tasks take longer. eg eating a basic snack (such as a cookie & drink) takes him over 1 hour. we are told as he is in a wheelchair, he does not need a DAS.
however if he had a DAS we could get a return time, feed him and then return.
I know fastpasses exist and generally we use these but it sounds like Disney is favouring one type of disability-which is unfair.

Also may be worth checking the non wheelchair accessible info you have. I have seen a few videos and pictures, of people getting return times on cards (not DAS) for rides such as Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #404
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

People with GACs using the Fastpass Line was one of the largest reasons for the change. Everyone will try to tell you its about the abuse by people selling tours and all that, but talks of the new system had been going around way before those stories came out. Disney has enacted this new system in order to allow equal access for all guests, and not give someone priority over another for any reason whatsoever.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #405
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you combine this with the FP+ (even in the trial, it seems rather predictable what to do to trigger an invite if staying on site) you should be able to plan it to such an extend you can fill hours with little to no wait.

Have DAS RT written out
See a show at set time, which you can thus plan for beforehand
after show; ride that DAS RT ride
after ride; get new DAS RT time
ride another ride with FP+
3pm show watching
ride DAS RT ride
have another DAS RT written out
another show at set time to "wait"
will be time now for some food/snack or alike
ride DAS RT ride

And see there how much you can enjoy without kiddo having any feeling of waiting, or actually really doing any waiting but instead enjoying all the park has to offer.

As long as you can still "double dip" during the FP+ trial you can even put the regular FP's in there to make sure there are even more options to basically keep kiddo entertained while "waiting".

For those kids who have a fixation with apps; use it as a positive. They can spend quite a lot of time on the WDW app looking up where caracters are located or looking up whatever mom or dad "doesn't know" or "forgot". With the FP+ an added bonus will be seeing the FP+ time and thus even higher predictability if the child can tell time. Same bonus obviously also goes for dining reservations you might have made etc; being able to see online when they'll eat at what time. If desired even being able to look up the menu with that app.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: