Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #316
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132
We will be there with you sneezer pofq ck in nov 8 th we are glad those big ugly purple and gold quilts will be gone
Purple and gold (and also green) are the official colors of Mardi Gras! We thought they were lovely, but them again, we love all things New Orleans related!

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32GB using the DISBoards App

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #317
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

I am sad to see the bedspreads go... I thought they gave the rooms a nice warm feel. I am another person who likes the weight of them when I sleep - especially in the chilly rooms. I will also miss the hidden Mickey's in them... Glad I have some great pictures.

However - I do hope they are replacing them with duvets - that would be nice, because they would still be warm then. But by the description - it sounds like they are just blankets?

I hope someone is able to post pictures of the rooms soon.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #318
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriegerjr View Post
Purple and gold (and also green) are the official colors of Mardi Gras! We thought they were lovely, but them again, we love all things New Orleans related!

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32GB using the DISBoards App
They were pretty,much nicer then what was there prior to the rehab, but for us unfunctional we dont like using a quilt thats not washed in between guests.And they were kind of heavy.. Maybe they will use the old quilts to make some kind of outlay for the bottom of the bed. That would be the best of both worlds.. But blankets are really not a terribly big issue when in disney world lol
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #319
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriegerjr View Post
Rather my feelings too, the ornate bedspreads were part of the overall themed design of the room, and just replacing them with clinical white industry-standard bedding seems to rather miss the whole point of staying at a resort like Port Orleans in the first place.

In short, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE trendy or modern, it's meant to evoke feelings of staying in a fine Southern hostelry somewhere along Mark Twain's beloved Mississippi in the mid-1800s.

Otherwise, we might as well just paint all the rooms in trendy shades of beige, so they look just like any other modern anonymous corporate hotel chain.

And while we're at it, let's replace the shops on Main Street with a fancy chrome and glass shopping mall - or an Apple Store maybe? Those are the latest trends in retail store looks after all. Or we could even stick a Starbucks in there... oh, wait...

In short, if I'd wanted to stay in a Marriott, I'd have booked one - in fact, there's one conveniently located just down the road, and it's half the price of Port Orleans for larger rooms. But I didn't (and still don't) want that.

All of the above said though, I would have been very happy for them to reduce the thickness and weight of the current covers to make them more practical for Floridian use (yes, I throw mine back while I'm asleep too) but still keeping a suitably themed design rather than making them look like sterile hospital beds. Light-weight Duvets would have been absolutely perfect, and more washable too for the germ-o-phobes.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #320
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Rather my feelings too, the ornate bedspreads were part of the overall themed design of the room, and just replacing them with clinical white industry-standard bedding seems to rather miss the whole point of staying at a resort like Port Orleans in the first place.

In short, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE trendy or modern, it's meant to evoke feelings of staying in a fine Southern hostelry somewhere along Mark Twain's beloved Mississippi in the mid-1800s.

Otherwise, we might as well just paint all the rooms in trendy shades of beige, so they look just like any other modern anonymous corporate hotel chain.

And while we're at it, let's replace the shops on Main Street with a fancy chrome and glass shopping mall - or an Apple Store maybe? Those are the latest trends in retail store looks after all. Or we could even stick a Starbucks in there... oh, wait...

In short, if I'd wanted to stay in a Marriott, I'd have booked one - in fact, there's one conveniently located just down the road, and it's half the price of Port Orleans for larger rooms. But I didn't (and still don't) want that.

All of the above said though, I would have been very happy for them to reduce the thickness and weight of the current covers to make them more practical for Floridian use (yes, I throw mine back while I'm asleep too) but still keeping a suitably themed design rather than making them look like sterile hospital beds.

Andre
This is exactly how I feel. It's kind of sad

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #321
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. It's kind of sad
I totally agree. I've actually read posts where people complain that the rooms at GF look like Grandma's house. Do these people not get the fact that GF is Victorian themed?
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #322
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

All of the above said though, I would have been very happy for them to reduce the thickness and weight of the current covers to make them more practical for Floridian use (yes, I throw mine back while I'm asleep too) but still keeping a suitably themed design rather than making them look like sterile hospital beds. Light-weight Duvets would have been absolutely perfect, and more washable too for the germ-o-phobes.

Andre
Bravo! I whole heartedly agree, in fact I'm considering switching to the CR next year because of this.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #323
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

We're checking in next Saturday and I'm devastated to hear about the bedspreads. We haven't been able to stay at POFQ since shortly after they first finished that last rehab that rolled out the purple and gold bedspreads and I LOVED them. Last October we were supposed to stay at POFQ but they were overbooked, so we got "downgraded" (IMO) to SSR. FINALLY we get to stay at POFQ again and we'd been so looking forward to it...now I'm kind of disappointed. We live right outside the parks, we don't need to stay at Disney resorts, we do it because we love them and we love their themes. If they make-over their rooms to resemble holiday inns, I'll just save my money and stay home.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #324
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Yup they took our cover today looks like all the ones have been removed I saw the mouse keeping taking them all away today

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #325
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Hi all! I'm new to this group! I've stayed at YC, BC (6x), and Pop. We are trying to budget a trip to disney this May, and POFQ is hopefully where we will be staying!

My question is, we won't have a car, and would like to get a few groceries from the HESS near downtown disney. Does anyone know what kind of a walk it is from DTD? Do they sell cases of water? How much trouble are we in for if they DO and we attempt to haul it back to the hotel? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #326
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

One of our bedrooms is purple (it looks great -- people always comment on how pretty the room is). I sure would love to have one of those bedspreads.

I'm ok with the sheets IF they are freshly laundered.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #327
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydee6 View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this group! I've stayed at YC, BC (6x), and Pop. We are trying to budget a trip to disney this May, and POFQ is hopefully where we will be staying!

My question is, we won't have a car, and would like to get a few groceries from the HESS near downtown disney. Does anyone know what kind of a walk it is from DTD? Do they sell cases of water? How much trouble are we in for if they DO and we attempt to haul it back to the hotel? Thanks!
I don't think that is a good idea, not even sure it is feasible. Why not order from one of the places that delivers? Or take a taxi over and back. But walking from DTD and then (I assume) walking back to DTD and taking the boat or bus back to the resort, I just don't think it will work. And it will be time-consuming. In addition, Disney doesn't want people walking the streets, so I am not even sure if you can walk to the Hess station at all.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #328
DCDisney
On my way...

I can see doing a much lighter cover during the summer when it's hard to keep the rooms cool enough but when we go in winter months we've needed a real comforter type cover. I hope they increase their stock of extra blankets for winter because a blanket and sheet won't be enough on cold days. I hate running too much heat and making the room stuffy.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #329
DCDisney
On my way...

Quote:

You would need to take the bus or boat to DTD and then walk to Hess from there where there are sidewalks. I'm not sure though if the construction blocks access to that area though. Even if you are not a member of Costco you can order a case of water delivered to the resort and it's not very much. The prices for milk, bags of snacks, pop tarts, etc at the resort gift shop is not really any different than Hess. Not worth the time it would take in my opinion. We pack some snack/breakfast stuff in our suitcases and order the costco water and it works out nicely for us.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #330
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all! I'm new to this group! I've stayed at YC, BC (6x), and Pop. We are trying to budget a trip to disney this May, and POFQ is hopefully where we will be staying! My question is, we won't have a car, and would like to get a few groceries from the HESS near downtown disney. Does anyone know what kind of a walk it is from DTD? Do they sell cases of water? How much trouble are we in for if they DO and we attempt to haul it back to the hotel? Thanks!
You can walk to the Hess station its just opposite the pleasure island part of DTD.
I would however suggest you use a delivery service like garden grocer (have used them twice now and found it very useful) there is also we go shop or amazon etc plenty of options. It will be delivered to the bell services and you collect it from there or they will take it to your room. We as I said use garden grocer and ask for it to be delivered around the time we expect to arrive.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, french quarter, pofq, port orleans

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: