Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #211
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsudisney View Post
So excited! We have never stayed at POFQ before but I am really looking forward to it after reading this board. We check in on 10/18. Should I wait until Monday to do my room requests? And is faxing still the best way to do that?
I did my requests on on line check in, and got all of ours. 3rd floor, corner room. We were put in just that in building 4 which I'm convinced must be the best building there!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #212
karly05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi*vida*loca View Post
I was really hoping for a 20-25% discount. Might have to change our resort. We do love CBR also so we shall see.
Do you have a membership with AAA? You can get a room-only AAA discount even booking directly with Disney or with another Travel Agent. (AAA Packages have to be booked through AAA.) I got 20% off RO on this year's trip, and on my reservation for 2014.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #213
pinkfairyy2180
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi*vida*loca
I am set on POFQ for our August trip. I will be booking in January after SO gets the vacation time approved. I think we are going to do 8/20-8/29. We can always play with those dates if he has to work with certain days at work.

What kind of RO discounts are offered around this time of year?? We won't be doing the DDP anymore since it doesn't work for our family dynamics anymore (disney adult kid and we want to do less TS meals). We've always done free DDP in the past so I'm not sure what other discounts are offered around this time of year for this resort.
That is funny is the time i'm go to POFQ
pinkfairyy2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #214
erineab
Mouseketeer

dani7776 and Minnie&Nana - thank you for the input, especially the phone number! I'm not sure if there are standard view rooms in building 5, but I did call and explained the situation and ask that we are not placed in building 1 or 7, as those seem to be the most out of the way. Thank you also for the well wishes. We are remaining positive that he is going to get through this and have a wonderful time in the sun in March!
erineab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #215
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineab View Post
dani7776 and Minnie&Nana - thank you for the input, especially the phone number! I'm not sure if there are standard view rooms in building 5
Don't worry too much about whether the rooms are Standard or otherwise; for medical issues they can easily switch a category for you, so as to give you what is technically a Garden View room, but closer to the main areas. I would agree that 4 or 5 are the best buildings for you - there is one room in building 4 which is quite literally 20 yards from the food court door:

Good luck to your dad for his treatment, I hope it goes well.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #216
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Don't worry too much about whether the rooms are Standard or otherwise; for medical issues they can easily switch a category for you, so as to give you what is technically a Garden View room, but closer to the main areas. I would agree that 4 or 5 are the best buildings for you - there is one room in building 4 which is quite literally 20 yards from the food court door:

Good luck to your dad for his treatment, I hope it goes well.

Andre
Our first stay at FQ (2001) we were in that second floor corner room. In 2006, when we had a group and some had medical needs, they put us in the first 4 rooms on the first floor. It is an excellent location for those with mobility issues.

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #217
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
dani7776 and Minnie&Nana - thank you for the input, especially the phone number! I'm not sure if there are standard view rooms in building 5, but I did call and explained the situation and ask that we are not placed in building 1 or 7, as those seem to be the most out of the way. Thank you also for the well wishes. We are remaining positive that he is going to get through this and have a wonderful time in the sun in March!
March can be such lovely weather in WDW. It can be quite crowded that time of year. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the new policies for those with special needs at the parks.

Happy planning!

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #218
sheri236
Mouseketeer

Leaving tomorrow for our first pofq stay & couldn't be more excited!! Thanks everyone for all the great info on this thread! I do have a couple last minute questions...#1) where exactly are the laundry facilities? #2) does anyone know the current status of the boats to dd next week, specifically Wednesday and Friday evening?? Heard they might not be operating on the regular schedule due to the dragon boat races. #3) when renting a boat at the por marina, how far exactly can you go with it? Thanks again...back to my packing!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #219
erineab
Mouseketeer

I called back and requested building 4 or 5 if possible - thanks so much for the tips and insight! At this point, my parents have booked a room only and are thinking they might not even go to the parks this year - just spend the time relaxing at the resort instead. I will definitely read up on the changes regarding special needs in case they change their minds though. Thanks again!
erineab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #220
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri236 View Post
#1) where exactly are the laundry facilities? #2) does anyone know the current status of the boats to dd next week, specifically Wednesday and Friday evening?? Heard they might not be operating on the regular schedule due to the dragon boat races. #3) when renting a boat at the por marina, how far exactly can you go with it?
#1 Next to the pool bar (just opposite building 5).

#2 You'll be OK, the POR/POFQ/DTD service will be running all week except for daytime on Saturday.

#3 As far as you like, all the way to DTD if you want for most of the boat types - time allowing, anyway; you need to take the boat back to where you rented it from. The Boston Whalers are limited to going as far as the Tree House Villas only (they are also more sluggish to drive - they work better at faster speeds, but have to be limited on the Sassagoula waterway).

For more info on all of the above, see my website.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #221
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I am not sure about running on the sidewalks through the resort - it might be difficult in some spots? However, there is the path between FQ and POR - many, many people use that to run. I believe Andre has the detailed mileage info on his website?

Forgive me if this has been answered already - I am trying to catch up on this thread backwards.

D~
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132 View Post
Everyone runs along the river path
Thanks for sharing the information about where to run. Time will tell if I am actually dedicated enough to run while on vacation. Just walking around the parks will probably be enough for me!

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #222
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Prayers for your father and your family

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Hopefully I'm posting this is the right spot. We will be travelling to POFQ in March for 4 nights with my parents. My father is 75 and will just have completed cancer treatment (both chemo and radiation) about 9 weeks prior to our trip. Our family as a whole has been undecided about whether or not the trip will be too much for him, but he really wants to go and it is giving him something to look forward to as he ploughs through the ugliness of this disease.

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on which building to request (I know nothing can be guaranteed, but a request can't hurt). View is not as important as location - something that is easily accessible to the pool, food court and bus stop. I have never been to this resort so I'm a little at a loss.

Thanks in advance!
I just wanted to add my prayers to others here for your father.

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #223
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Hope the fridges are all done here
Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #224
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I have requested a 3rd floor room in building 6, I wanted to be somewhere a little quieter as I am the worst sleeper in the world, a pin dropping can wake me! Has anyone stayed in this building? Is it a bit quieter than the buildings surrounding the pool? I have earplugs packed but it would be nice not to have to use them, LOL!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #225
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

LOL. Yes, I've noticed that "some other countries" is how many Americans tend to view the whole of the world that isn't the USA (OK, except Belize in this case, and some Canadians)

I'm quite used to the odd way that the US writes its dates by now (I'm very careful never to use numeric-only dates anywhere on my website to avoid confusion) but it still doesn't make any sense... Either use little-endian format (small<medium<large, dd/mm/yy) like the UK and most of the rest of the world, or go for big-endian (large>medium>small, yy/mm/dd) which makes sense too (like China, Japan and a small number of other countries - so actually a very large usage by population count).
Andre
Though that was interesting but I think the US form is easier to read as you normally say month day year when reading a date. Or do you read it as day of month?

But now to the real reason I'm posting. We were at Disney the beginning of the month and went to see the new musician at Scat Cats. We were very disappointed. He did sing and play well but there was no personality. You could have been listening to recorded music. He certainly did not have the Disney spirit. He seemed very cold and a little rude- when someone requested a song but got the name wrong, he rudely corrected them. When we asked for a certain song, he told us to write it on the list - a little strange since there was only us and another table all evening. We stopped by for a second night just to see if he was having a bad night. Same experience! When he took his break,he hurried out - no stopping to say hello or thank us for coming. It's not like the place was packed and he would have missed his break talking to people.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 10-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, french quarter, pofq, port orleans

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: