Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #1606
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Woohoo!!! Originally we were booked at Pop for our November trip but we are switching to my beloved POFQ!!! Can't wait to be back.. we stayed at my other fave resort, Riverside last year so I am very excited! And really excited for my sister and brother in law to try FQ for the first time!

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #1607
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearyouknow View Post
Do you guys like POFQ better than Riverside?
Another vote for Port Orleans French Quarter. I've stayed at both but like the smaller size of POFQ along with the quiet courtyards with fountains. One of my favorite Disney Resorts.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #1608
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

I have to preface by saying we've never stayed at POR. In fact, POFQ last year was our first moderate stay. Had been all Value trips before that. But we fell in love with POFQ and are staying there again this year! I kept thinking I should try another moderate instead, but my whole family loved POFQ and really wanted to stay there again.

I think the reasons I'd rather stay here again than try Riverside have to do with the buses and the size. In our whole week at POFQ, we only stopped at POR to pick up guests one time--and that was at an off time, heading to DHS. After making those four stops at POR, I decided I'd never want to do that every single time I got on a bus! I loved that every other time we got on the bus and headed to the park immediately. No "making the rounds". And when we did share with POR coming back from somewhere, we were always the first stop. Just seemed like so much wasted time with all those stops in POR.

And it also made us realize just how big POR is and how far removed some of those rooms are from the main building! We like filling our cups at the food court and it's so nice that at POFQ, no room is more than a few minutes' walk. Same thing with the buses, pool...everything! It's just so small that you can walk from one end to the other and everywhere in between in no time!

Boy, that turned into a long answer!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #1609
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
I have to preface by saying we've never stayed at POR. In fact, POFQ last year was our first moderate stay. Had been all Value trips before that. But we fell in love with POFQ and are staying there again this year! I kept thinking I should try another moderate instead, but my whole family loved POFQ and really wanted to stay there again. I think the reasons I'd rather stay here again than try Riverside have to do with the buses and the size. In our whole week at POFQ, we only stopped at POR to pick up guests one time--and that was at an off time, heading to DHS. After making those four stops at POR, I decided I'd never want to do that every single time I got on a bus! I loved that every other time we got on the bus and headed to the park immediately. No "making the rounds". And when we did share with POR coming back from somewhere, we were always the first stop. Just seemed like so much wasted time with all those stops in POR. And it also made us realize just how big POR is and how far removed some of those rooms are from the main building! We like filling our cups at the food court and it's so nice that at POFQ, no room is more than a few minutes' walk. Same thing with the buses, pool...everything! It's just so small that you can walk from one end to the other and everywhere in between in no time! Boy, that turned into a long answer!

Your reasons are the reasons dd20 and I are staying at POFQ for our mother-daughter trip in July. We always stay at the dolphin with DH, but since it's just the two of us, we are going with magical express. I want small & easy. Riverside is pretty, but too spread out. I will miss my beautiful Dolphin, but for a quick extra trip, POFQ should be nice for the two of us.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #1610
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearyouknow View Post
Do you guys like POFQ better than Riverside?
The POFQ thread is probably not the best place to ask for an unbiased answer to that question... it's like asking at a Beatles fan-club meeting whether the Fab Four are better than the Rolling Stones.

Ironically, my own answer is actually Riverside for the extra facilities, wider range of food and recreation options, more varied and richer landscaping, etc. But FQ is more compact and easier to get around if that's your priority.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #1611
garrsmom
Mouseketeer

Hi Everyone,
Just hopping on board. This November will be our 29th anniversary. We were going to wait for the big 30, but I snagged free dining so here we go. At first I had to book Pop, but dh got a pin so I moved us to POFQ. I am beyond excited. Last time we went we stayed at CBR and that was our first Mod. DH still thinks we are staying at POP, though I am ashamed to say he may not know or appreciate the difference. Our youngest son just graduated from college so with my Disney visa points he received an education and I get a vacation. I am looking forward to planning along with everyone here. And I also have all of my dining ressies done.
Nov 2007--ASMusic--just girls
Nov 2006--ASSports--Garrett and Dustin
Nov 2000--Fort Wilderness
Nov 1994--ASSports
May 1989--Off Grounds
Nov 1995--Off Grounds--Honeymoon
garrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #1612
wahassle
Earning My Ears

Assuming there are tables by the pool at POFQ, can you bring meals from the Food Court out to eat by the pool? Just thinking it might be easier than having kids go back to room to change for dinner...
wahassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #1613
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahassle View Post
Assuming there are tables by the pool at POFQ, can you bring meals from the Food Court out to eat by the pool? Just thinking it might be easier than having kids go back to room to change for dinner...
Yes you can, just don't take food or drinks too close to the pool itself (especially in glass containers).

There's even a phone at the pool bar where you can order pizza to be delivered to you poolside if you wish (although it is more expensive that way, it counts as room delivery).

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1614
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrsmom View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just hopping on board. This November will be our 29th anniversary. We were going to wait for the big 30, but I snagged free dining so here we go. At first I had to book Pop, but dh got a pin so I moved us to POFQ. I am beyond excited. Last time we went we stayed at CBR and that was our first Mod. DH still thinks we are staying at POP, though I am ashamed to say he may not know or appreciate the difference. Our youngest son just graduated from college so with my Disney visa points he received an education and I get a vacation. I am looking forward to planning along with everyone here. And I also have all of my dining ressies done.
Good for you! We are leaving for POFQ in two weeks for our 25th anniversary! Our twin boys are half way through collage now so they are staying behind and watching the house for us. This is our first trip to WDW.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #1615
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info.

Andre

Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #1616
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

Andre
Wow! That sounds pretty darn cool. If this takes off I sure hope it doesn't do away with CM jobs. One of the biggest parts of going to Disney is the customer service interaction.

I had a couple of questions about the buses, does anyone know how the buses run at POR? Which stop is first and which stop is last or is it always random? And do they always go to POR first for drop off or FQ? Trying to get an idea of the bus route when picking people up and dropping off.

The reason I ask is due to Coronado Springs Resort having a specific way of running their buses. They go to the second bus stop first then third, fourth and then the front of the resort when dropping off and pickup guests.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #1617
turkey1031
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014. To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance. Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk. Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience. See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info. Andre
Very exciting. I check in June 22 so I can't wait to try this out. So could this mean that once magical express drops me off at the resort I could go to the park without actually going to check in at all? I did all the requirements already so I think I qualify. I might want to check to make sure my room key worked on the room but this would be an awesome option.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #1618
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:

Andre
We are going during that time! Knowing our luck, the MBs won't open the door for some reason. In the online check in I gave a rough estimate as 8:30pm for arrival. If we get there at tad earlier, I assume we can still go ahead on in.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #1619
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Wow! That sounds pretty darn cool. If this takes off I sure hope it doesn't do away with CM jobs. One of the biggest parts of going to Disney is the customer service interaction.

I had a couple of questions about the buses, does anyone know how the buses run at POR? Which stop is first and which stop is last or is it always random? And do they always go to POR first for drop off or FQ? Trying to get an idea of the bus route when picking people up and dropping off.

The reason I ask is due to Coronado Springs Resort having a specific way of running their buses. They go to the second bus stop first then third, fourth and then the front of the resort when dropping off and pickup guests.

Buses are POR run in normal order starting with 1.

Also, the very few times we have had to share a bus with POR, FQ was picked up first and dropped off first.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #1620
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey1031 View Post
Very exciting. I check in June 22 so I can't wait to try this out. So could this mean that once magical express drops me off at the resort I could go to the park without actually going to check in at all? I did all the requirements already so I think I qualify.
Yes, once you've received your room notification by text (even if your room is not quite ready yet) your band will be activated for all other functions, just as if you'd gone to the Front Desk.

Andre

Tags
faq, french quarter, pofq, port orleans

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: