Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
CynJ
Caffeinated Insomniac

I've only had a problem with body odor once that I remember.

The a man I worked for was American of Indian heritage and he decided to bring a couple of guys over from India to do some programming work for us. It was a good way for the two young men to learn first hand about the culture and work environments here in the US. They were set up in a modern apartment with all the amenities (including washer/dryer in the unit). One of the two was exceptionally enthusiastic about fitting in and doing all thing American (he was a lot of fun to be around as he discovered all kinds of new things- stuff we take for granted).

The other guy, however, was just painful to be around. He didn't shower (or bathe for that matter), wouldn't use deodorant, and would only rinse out his clothes and hang them. My boss had made sure they both had everything they needed and explained to this guy several times how the w/d worked and that it really was okay to use them. Nothing sunk in with him and his body odor grew by the day until it was practically tangible in the room with us all. Looking back on it now, I think he was very, very homesick and depressed. He wasn't happy here and didn't stay very long before returning to India.

I did work with this jerk a long time ago with a thoroughly disgusting habit of going in and completely fumigating the bathroom right off of the staff lunchroom five minutes before everyone would sit and eat (we had a very casual lunch schedule and ate whenever the lunch fetcher of the day got back). There were several bathrooms in the office, but he purposely used that one every single day. What made it worse was that he would brag about it and how bad it smelled before taking his food back to his desk. We did get our revenge on him though- we waited until April Fools day. One of the guys in the warehouse drove around for hours the night before looking for a skunk roadkill. He snagged a little of if it and after Mr. Jerk headed into the bathroom to start his normal routine of grossing us all out, we put a bit of dead skunk in his office for him to enjoy during *his* lunch. He was LIVID. Our company owner found out about it (loudly) from Mr. Jerk and called us in one by one to ask us why we would do that. He got really angry over Mr. Jerk's behavior and had that particular bathroom locked so no one could use it. None of us got into real trouble although a memo banning April Fools pranks was circulated soon thereafter.

1991 - Caribbean Resort
2002 - All Star Movies
2014 - Art of Animation
CynJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #32
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
ahhhh a victory for the stanky people
huge giggle.

I once worked with an attorney who drank coffee every minute, second of the day. I dreaded going into his office to ask questions. How weird that it turned me off of coffee. He would start to speak and ewww, black coffee. It would even be on documents he would give me. With coffee cups rings all over them. I could smell coffee. I don't drink coffee to this day. It's like when you are young, say you get drunk on tequila *cough* and then you can no longer stand the smell of tequila *cough* because you got sick *cough* who me? If you hate me, buy me a coffee and tequila drink
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 09-30-2013 at 02:53 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #33
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

My daughter (39) thanked me recently for keeping her and her brother clean. She is a successful dental hygenist and can't believe kids who are downright filthy. Mom's who never clean kids pierced earrings/holes etc. Hey as a Mom I did something right!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
Tinkermommy
Not too exciting but we all can't have a tipped uterus!

My kids elementary school PE teacher is a trip.

My daughter said in 4th grade he sat all the kids down and told them they stank and they needed to use deodorant.

I guess he got tired of smelling kid funk all day.

Tinkermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I could never tell them....

But when your body odor is that bad, can't you smell it off yourself??
I really believe that they are just so used to it that they don't notice. We had a patient that came to our hospital frequently and within minutes of her arrival, usually with her dad, the whole room smelled heavily of their BO. It was nauseating! And they always turned the air down to keep it really warm in there and that made it even worse.

As for co-workers, there is one man who delivers our supplies that absolutely reeks of cat urine. And of course, he likes to stand as close as physically possible to you when he needs to ask you to sign his delivery form. The worst is going into the supply room to get something while he is in there doing inventory. I have come close to passing out from trying to get in, get what I need and get out without taking a breath. It's horrible!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennvalgirl View Post
The ones who are doused in cologne/perfume I will make fun of.
The ones who just reek, I feel bad for them
This!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

Years ago I worked with a man (he was my boss!) who had horrible BO. He was the nicest person and everyone liked him, but oh the stink!!!!! We would all talk about it (when he wasn't there) and we wondered why his wife didn't smell him and do something about it. Some of did go to upper management about it but as far as I know nobody ever said anything to him. It was funny because on Fridays he would work in another office so we all looked forward to Fridays!! It is a very delicate situation and really I can't think of a good solution.
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I supervised someone who reeked of BO. She wasn't that way when I first met her but after a few years it was awful. No one wanted to sit in the cubical next to her.

She never bathed, never washed her clothes. I had to talk to her about it but nothing changed.

I even went to Human Resources but they said there was nothing they could do. She finally managed to screw up so bad that she was fired.

Everyone was happy to see her go.

Connie

Not sure when my next trip will be

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #39
Patch'sD
DIS Veteran

It didn't happen at work but on Company travel. Myself and a Co worker were flying from NY to LA. When we took our seats I had dozed off and was awoken by a fierce smell. The person who walked past me had such an odor it woke me up. I noticed that my co worker had to sit next to this person on the flight. Since we were traveling together we shared a rental car, Soon I noticed that same rank smell, like the Sinefeld episode the smell attached itself to my coworker. Being that I didn't want to have the smell attach to me, I made him sit in the back seat and I kept all four windows open for the drive from LA to San Diego.
Patch'sD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I could never tell them....

But when your body odor is that bad, can't you smell it off yourself??

Some Medical conditions can render a loss of sense. (Smell)
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Years ago, I worked at the local community college as secretary to the
Director of Admissions, who was also the Foreign Student Advisor. This was well before the U.S. had strained relations with most of the Middle Eastern countries, and we had many students from that part of the world. I don't know if things have changed, but at that time these students did not share our standards of personal hygiene! The standing rule was no more than two students at a time in the Director's office, the door had to be left open, and air freshener was sprayed as soon as the students were out of sight!

At the State Department, one of the secretaries in the Consulate where I worked had a terrible body odor, but no one (including me!) had the guts to speak to her about it. I finally agreed to leave some personal hygiene supplies at her work station (out of sight of the rest of the office to save her embarrassment - she really was a lovely person), but I came back after office hours to place the basket so it wasn't there when I left work but it was there before I came in the next morning; I didn't want her to connect it to me! I admit it I'm a coward who doesn't like confrontation. But the good thing is that it worked!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I have an incredibly sensitive nose. It's actually quite ridiculous. My husband jokes that my ancestors must have evolved from bloodhounds at one point. Anyway, back when I was teaching my fifth and sixth graders, I had to put air fresheners all over my room. I loved my students but many of them would come to me after PE and it was so nauseating. Some of the guys would realize that they smelled bad but since they didn't have time to shower, they decided the next best solution was to cover themselves in cologne. That's when I discovered that the headache from too much cologne was preferred to the nauseated feeling I got from BO.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
MsLeFever
WPASADI II Co-Winner
Wants to be the #1 WPASADI!
Won't beg for a tag but will rewrite disco songs!
Eating chocolate is a good cure for anything and everything!

I teach college students and have been forced to have "the talk" with several students. They move into a dorm and stop showering or doing laundry. I just pull them aside and tell them they have to.shower before class or rehearsal. BUT I did once have a student say "Why? Does someone say I smell?" Um. Yes. Super awkward.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #44
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I really believe that they are just so used to it that they don't notice. We had a patient that came to our hospital frequently and within minutes of her arrival, usually with her dad, the whole room smelled heavily of their BO. It was nauseating! And they always turned the air down to keep it really warm in there and that made it even worse.

As for co-workers, there is one man who delivers our supplies that absolutely reeks of cat urine. And of course, he likes to stand as close as physically possible to you when he needs to ask you to sign his delivery form. The worst is going into the supply room to get something while he is in there doing inventory. I have come close to passing out from trying to get in, get what I need and get out without taking a breath. It's horrible!
Not to skeeve you out, but I have been told that many people who are running meth labs smell like cat urine as they give off similar odors. I went to high school with a girl who was arrested for manufacturing meth and a mutual friend said that he had no idea that's what she was doing and just assumed she had a lot of cats, but that she did smell like cat urine. Blech.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #45
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Not to skeeve you out, but I have been told that many people who are running meth labs smell like cat urine as they give off similar odors. I went to high school with a girl who was arrested for manufacturing meth and a mutual friend said that he had no idea that's what she was doing and just assumed she had a lot of cats, but that she did smell like cat urine. Blech.
That's scary! He doesn't seem the meth lab type, but then they rarely do, do they?
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: