Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #16
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

We had a big HR meeting last year, and the thing underscored is you never ever ever ever say anything to a co-worker about anything personal.
You can go to HR, but bottom line, in this lawsuit happy era, a coworkers right to smell outweighs your right not to have to smell them.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

I once worked with a lady who had cats..and I mean a lot of cats. I don't think she had bo issues, it was the smell from her house. Every piece of clothing, her handbag, everything smelled like cat litter. She left her sweater and first thing in the morning after the office was locked for the night I was queasy the whole day. I never told her how bad it was. She was the nicest lady.

I can't work with the too much perfume stinky. I would have an asthma attack. Its gotten so bad in my older years that I even avoid Belks and places with a perfume area.

Kelly
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Domo
DIS Veteran

We had a learner come into our college a while back, perfectly nice. After a while I began to detect a foul stench... turned out he'd trampled dog doo all over my nice clean carpet! I was not a happy camper

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
Amelia Peabody
Used to be MsSocks with lots of posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
One of my favorite management memories is when an employee came to me to complain that the woman she shared an office with was constantly farting.
What was done about that? I ask because when I get stressed "extra" gas is produced and at my age holding it back is not always an option. One good sneeze and you're done! Well, not done, just for the moment...

I've tried using air freshener on my chair but that absolutely reeks and makes ME sick!
Amelia Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Luckily not in years but when I used to wait tables (around the age of 18) there was a server who obviously did not wear deodorant. He smelled okay at the beginning of the shift but it wasn't long before he would start stinking. I thought about anonymously buying a stick of deodorant and put his name on it but figured it might hurt his feelings... so I just did nothing. The weird thing was that none of my co-workers mentioned it or at least didn't around me...
MAY 1994: CBR AUG 2012: POP OCT 2013: POR JAN 2014: POP OCT 2014: POP

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Back when I was in college I worked retail. There was a hippie-type girl who refused to use any unnatural products, including deodorant. Various employees complained to the manager. She finally said something after the people at the bank....... the people who received the store deposit from behind a bullet proof glass window........ complained about her smell.

mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

This week I was the stinky one, one day. It was physical work in a HOT room. I could tell I wasn't smelling delightful by the end of the day. Yuck and bad when it's yourself!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I had the unfortunate problem a few years ago of getting big, huge rashes that scabbed over and sometimes pussed up on my pits whenever I wore deodorant.

Went to the doctor and she suggested some substitutes, most of which were fine for about 2.5 hours but didn't last all day for me, so I was constantly reapplying, which gets a bit gross after awhile too.

Eventually I discovered I could wear Dove and then they came out with Dove Clinical strength. I would wear Dove mostly and started using the clinical when I was going to get hot and stinky.

Now the allergy seems to have died down - I can wear deodorant without rashes, but I still stick to my Dove products when I can.

My apologies to anyone I offended when I was stinky, but I had seeping rashes on my pits!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
One of my favorite management memories is when an employee came to me to complain that the woman she shared an office with was constantly farting.
Bet that was a ripping good time...not.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

MANY yrs ago went to school with a girl who came from a crazy home. She smelled so bad we kids couldn't take it. I felt sorry for her as her parents were clearly at fault. She was sweet as still think about her. Our teacher would brush her hair in a nice way. Her parents were crazy I guess.
honeydiane1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #26
bellebud
DIS Veteran

kids who smell, it's not their fault.

Adults who smell because of working in a hot room one day, etc, no biggie. Life happens. Even someone like a pp who said they couldn't use deodorant because of sores in their pits, that's totally understandable and I feel bad for them.

But I can't stand people who are just dirty. Not bathing for weeks, gross hair, dirty clothes (like pig-pen dirty). A homeless person... ok, I get it. I'm talking about regular people who have jobs, houses, showers, can afford a bar of soap, etc. When their odor invades my personal space, it becomes my problem and issue too. I've never had to work w/ someone like that, so I don't really know what I'd do in that situation. But I've been in social situations w/ people like this, and I just keep my distance.
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

I worked at a coffee shop several years ago with a girl who refused to use deoderant. She wore a crazy amount of patchouli eo and the combination of that and bo was nauseating to the point that customers would talk about it (and not come back). It absolutely amazes me that she either never heard them say it or just ignored it altogether. She was still working there when I got another job, I have always wondered if someone ever said something to her about it.

To this day, I can't stand patchouli because it reminds me of her smell. Makes my stomach turn.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Years ago I worked with a lady who had a kidney issue and this in turn just caused the most foulest death smell ever. It was like rotten flesh; no, old people rotten flesh covered in farts dipped in decaying fecal matter smeared with underarm sweat.

But the lady was so nice and knew she had this smell. She had to keep working for the insurance. Luckily, the work situation was such that we all had booths to work in; two to a booth. We just gave her her own booth and arranged schedules so that no one used her booth for hours later. There was no air circulation so even Lysoling her chair would just get you Lysol smell and stench combined.

She eventually got better after a Rx change or something. It was great that the work place knew about it, didn't hold it against her, came to a solution, AND didn't force any of us to share with her. We would ask her to lunch so she wasn't spending the whole day alone.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
cassie
I did run free in the 70's
Connecticut Yankee
desperately wants to be like the others

[QUOTE=kellyg403;49687377]I once worked with a lady who had cats..and I mean a lot of cats. I don't think she had bo issues, it was the smell from her house. Every piece of clothing, her handbag, everything smelled like cat litter. She left her sweater and first thing in the morning after the office was locked for the night I was queasy the whole day. I never told her how bad it was. She was the nicest lady.

I have a good friend with cats and I can't tell her that her clothes and car smell so bad. What's worse, the litter box is in the foyer so as soon as I walk in I'm overwhelmed with litter stink. She's 80 and doesn't smell it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
mom2rb
DIS Veteran

I teach gymnastics, I am sure by the end of the day we all smell. With the little girls, once a year I sit down the nine years olds and let them know that it is time to start wearing deodorant. They work out four hours a day and nobody wants to spot a smelly kid.

7/80 offsite, 7/84 offsite, 10/96 honeymoon at CBR, 9/03 Contemporary Wing, 12/04 SSR & AKL, 4/05 OKW & CSR, 9/05 BWV & OKW, 12/06 CSR & SSR, 06/07 VWL & BCV, 09/07 AKV & BWV, 09/09 BLT & SSR, 05/10 BWV & BCV, AKL & BLT 02/13, 05/13 Pop Century Work Trip, Halloween @ SSR
mom2rb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: