Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #106
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
There are many reasons why people feel the way that I do about breastfeeding in public. My personal reason probably isn't even one you've thought of so don't paint me with wide brush.

I am unable to have children and up until the past couple of years (when I hit forty and finally gave up trying) the sight of a woman breastfeeding (especially a full-on uncovered view) gave me a physical ache inside and was almost enough to send me into a crying jag. It was certainly enough to put me in a down mood for the rest of the day. Add in the joys of fertility hormone therapies and that increases tenfold.

As I said, there are many reasons why people don't want to see someone breastfeed, there is mine, and it's deeply personal and deeply hurtful.

I'm sorry that you feel that my wanting breastfeeding women to be a little more discrete in public is "annoying".
A mom with a baby to feed trumps your desire to not see it. While I'm sorry that you have not had the children you hoped for, the needs of the child come first. And that mom should not have to go into hiding to feed her baby.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #107
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladora View Post

I was the one who posted this pet peeve and yes, minnie mum, you are exactly right about what I was trying to say.

It is specifically on rides that younger kids are a bit frightened of that this drives me nuts. It took us SO long to get DS to be brave enough to try HM and then people just started screaming as loud as possible and then laughing hysterically.
So your issue would not be with some on my age who screams out of fear but some on who is board and want to freak out the kids
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #108
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post

Wow. So if my Mom, who is from Germany, was behind you and talking, but in English ( she's since become a citizen) would that be bothersome or not??
Does your mom speak in German or english during rides or shows at WDW? If so, then yes she's a rude foreigner.

But the OPs gripe was specifically the fairly common occurrence wherein a group of tourists includes many who do not speak English and instead of making use of the handheld captioning device, they instead have the English speaking members of their group translate for them. The OP doesn't say that people speaking through a show in English is offensive or not but this specific occurrence does happen and it is an annoyance.

The solution is to make eye contact with a talker and then tell them to shut up. That's a universal language.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #109
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
I know this is from Wikipedia, but I'm pretty sure that both Pepsi and Coke distribute Dr. pepper in different parts of the country.

"In the United States, Dr Pepper Snapple Group does not have a complete network of bottlers and distributors, so the drink is sometimes bottled under contract by Coca-Cola or Pepsi bottlers. Prior to the initial Cadbury Schweppes investment-turned-buyout, 30% of Dr Pepper/Seven Up products were produced and distributed by Pepsi bottlers, and another 30% by Coca-Cola bottlers. The remaining 40% were produced and distributed by independent bottlers (mainly consisting of Dr Pepper/Seven Up premerger regional bottlers) and the Dr Pepper/Seven Up Bottling Group. Currently, the majority of Pepsi and Coke bottlers bottling Dr Pepper are owned by PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company after their buyouts of their major bottlers.
Presently, Dr Pepper Snapple relies on its own bottling group to bottle and distribute its products in more than 30 states. Coca-Cola and Pepsi have essentially stopped bottling and distributing CSAB products in favor of in-house alternatives, although regional exceptions can be found.[28]"
In Texas, Dr Pepper is bottled by Coke under license from Dr Pepper. Fortunately, Dr Pepper is available in almost all fountains since they work with Coke and Pepsi both. Since I don't care for Pepsi, that is my choice for outlets that carry Pepsi products.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #110
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
So your issue would not be with some on my age who screams out of fear but some on who is board and want to freak out the kids
My issue is with people of any age (I never brought up age, btw!) who scream just to scare the crap out of people on purpose.

Besides, it's not really an issue, it's more of an annoyance. Not enough to get me to say something but enough for it to rank on my pet peeve list along with rude people.

WDW next year maybe?
Aladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #111
bianca
DIS Veteran

Back to the original question, my personal beef is with kids in the resort hot tubs. They are NOT mini-swimming pools. I don't want to see your diaper-clad toddler in there. I realize WDW is a kids paradise, but shouldn't there be one place that adults can chill out without munchkins around?
6/78-offsite. All the rest at "The Fort" ....... 11/95, 2/97, 11/97, 12/97, 2/98, 11/98, 12/98, 2/99, 11/99, 12/99, 12/2000, 10/2001, 5/2002, 12/2002, 2/2003, 10/2003, 2/2004, 12/2004, 11/2005, 10/2006, 12/2006, 8/2007, 10/2007 (Saratoga), 12/2007, 3/2008 (HHI), 10/2009 (HHI), 11/2009, 10/2010 (OKW), 9/11 (AKV), 10/11 (AKV), 2/12 (BLT), 9/12 (VB), 12/12 (AKV) , 2/13 (AKV) 5/13 (VB), 10/13 (AKV), 1/14 (SSR) and 5/14 (Aulani)!
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #112
SammiL
Mouseketeer

My pet peeve: when a parade or show is about to start and suddenly a bunch of people try to squeeze in last minute in that tiny open space next to you. Then we're packed like sardines! It gets worse if they try to push to the front...

Disneyland - many, many times and counting
WDW - 1994 offsite // 2013 Split POP and CSR // Oct 2014 AOA and POR

SammiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #113
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I have done one thing on this list! (hangs head in shame)

Someone posted that they don't like it when people find a seat first at a CS restaurant and then go up and order. We always do this at DW! It is so much easier for us. We all find a table and DH goes up to wait in line and get our food while I get the kids settled, find a high chair, strap ds in, grab some utensils, clean hands with our wipes etc. Then when dh comes to the table we are all set. Why on earth would all 4 of us go order and add to the chaos of the food line with two squirmy hungry kids?

And I must confess I don't feel bad at all when people are wandering around with trays looking for a seat. btw we do this even at restaurants where there are multiple tables open. It just works for us.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #114
Kimberlyann11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
I have done one thing on this list! (hangs head in shame)

Someone posted that they don't like it when people find a seat first at a CS restaurant and then go up and order. We always do this at DW! It is so much easier for us. We all find a table and DH goes up to wait in line and get our food while I get the kids settled, find a high chair, strap ds in, grab some utensils, clean hands with our wipes etc. Then when dh comes to the table we are all set. Why on earth would all 4 of us go order and add to the chaos of the food line with two squirmy hungry kids?

And I must confess I don't feel bad at all when people are wandering around with trays looking for a seat. btw we do this even at restaurants where there are multiple tables open. It just works for us.
We do that too. I go get the food, DD comes with me to help and my mom, who is in her seventies, goes to get a seat. I'm sorry it's a peeve, but I don't see the benefit of having my mom just stand around in the heat so we can all wander around with trays as a family.
Kimberlyann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #115
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
Back to the original question, my personal beef is with kids in the resort hot tubs. They are NOT mini-swimming pools. I don't want to see your diaper-clad toddler in there. I realize WDW is a kids paradise, but shouldn't there be one place that adults can chill out without munchkins around?
I have sat next to kids while sitting at the bar in Disney, so it appears the answer is no.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #116
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

The thing that really bothers me is people stopping in the middle of the walkways, especially when Im in a hurry LOL. But that isn't exclusive to Disney, it happens everywhere and probably expected with big groups, but I still hate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttle View Post
At counter service places when people sit at a table before they have their food , then people with trays of food are stuck wandering around.
This one always makes me scratch me head. Do you expect a family of 6 to just stand there waiting for the one/two people getting the food to be ready? We always split up, go get a table and go get the food groups, especially when the kids were little. I just can't think its better to have little kids standing around than sitting at a table waiting. Whatever, guess Im doing it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post

Yes, I know there are a LOT of Spanish-speaking visitors. So what. There are many visitors that speak Japanese, Russian, and French. The rides don't translate in those languages.

If I go to another country, no, I do not expect anyone to speak English to me (or have signs in English). If I decide to go to another country, it is my understanding that I'm in their country and should learn the language. I don't care if people from other countries visit Disney World or anywhere else in the US, my issue isn't with the people that may or may not speak English.

Just my opinion. Everyone has one.
Well, if you ever visit a different country, I think you'll be glad that most signs and people translate to English. Don't think you'd be complaining that they aren't translated to Swedish or Russian. For people from the US who have more accessibility and help in foreign countries than any other language, this frame of thought is baffling to me. Its Disney WORLD!!! To not appreciate the benefit of the announcements in different languages is baffling.

And just a note, this is Florida, visited by more Spanish speaking people than most. Spanish is also spoken by more countries in the WORLD than any other language, so yeah, it makes sense.

And to call spanish speaking folks in Florida foreigners is funny.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #117
CynJ
Caffeinated Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
A mom with a baby to feed trumps your desire to not see it. While I'm sorry that you have not had the children you hoped for, the needs of the child come first. And that mom should not have to go into hiding to feed her baby.
I don't recall advocating a breastfeeding mother going into hiding. Asking someone to be discrete and use a light cover is not even close to that.

1991 - Caribbean Resort
2002 - All Star Movies
2014 - Art of Animation
CynJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #118
emilily88
So fetch.

My two cents on the "foreigners" speaking loudly during rides...

I've read a LOT of stories on these boards recently about people who allow their children to behave badly (or behave badly themselves!) and when someone asks them to please stop, they claim to not speak English and continue with whatever they're doing. I think part of the issue is that they think they can get away with bad behavior by not understanding someone telling them in English to please stop, whether they actually don't understand them or just pretend not to.

Now if they speak English and they continue to act like a fool, they're just inconsiderate

WDW 2000, 2002
High School Musical Kansas premiere 2007
Lion King Gazelle Tour 2013
emilily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #119
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Asking someone to be discrete and use a light cover is not even close to that.
If asked, would you eat with a light cover over your head?

WDW next year maybe?
Aladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #120
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Quote:

I don't recall advocating a breastfeeding mother going into hiding. Asking someone to be discrete and use a light cover is not even close to that.
I'm sorry to hear about your fertility problems. Hope you find a way to connect with a child if that is what you feel like you have been called to do...either as a mentor, adoptive mom or foster mom.

I nurse me baby and 99 percent of the time I use a cover in public...but sometimes it's nearly impossible. The logistics of a screaming baby, getting the shirt unbuttoned, the bra unclipped, the pad out, the baby positioned and latched....plus trying to do that all under a cover that you can't clearly see under (despite the boning at the top) is hard. Before I nursed, I always thought, "why on earth wouldn't women use a nursing cover??? " as I am a modest person. Then after I had the baby I realized why. Don't mean to bring up any bad feelings, just trying to explain why the over doesn't always work out.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: