Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #211
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
I am not American, but I have live in this part of the world for 10+ years. I consider myself to be a very good rule follower, but to be honest, I've never observed the rule of walking on your right when I am out and about, otherwise I would definitely ask and follow. I guess I'll pay a little more attention when I am in theme parks next time.

I was told once by someone that if I am out walking in my subdivision where there is no sidewalk, I should walk on the left so that I can see incoming traffic and be aware. Now, someone clarify for me if this is true.
When walking on the street, it is considered safest to walk in the left side of the street so you are facing traffic, yes.

I have heard about walking on the right side in shopping centers, amusement parks, etc. I thought it was rather well-known. Guess not.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #212
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
I was told once by someone that if I am out walking in my subdivision where there is no sidewalk, I should walk on the left so that I can see incoming traffic and be aware. Now, someone clarify for me if this is true.
Yes, that is true. You want to be facing traffic.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #213
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
I am not American, but I have live in this part of the world for 10+ years. I consider myself to be a very good rule follower, but to be honest, I've never observed the rule of walking on your right when I am out and about, otherwise I would definitely ask and follow. I guess I'll pay a little more attention when I am in theme parks next time.

Yes, when walking on a street with no sidewalk, you're supposed to walk on the left side of the road so that you are facing the traffic. That isn't so much for etiquette as for your own safety. But bicyclists are to ride in the same direction as the vehicle traffic. I hate to see someone on a bicycle going against traffic . It would be so easy for someone to pull out of a parking lot or driveway and hit them.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #214
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
And suppose she had said they were all black? Or all gay?
It's not being "descriptive." It's singling out a group of people who are "different" from the OP and underscoring their bad behavior. It's terrible stereotyping.
Okay, try it like this, Ask the question: "What's your movie theater pet peeve?" and I might answer ...

alright hold on... I'm going to try to convey a point, inline with the cultural rhetoric of the previous poster I am quoting. In doing so (looking at my current infraction point balance) I'm probably risking a suspension of some sort.

That said, I think the subject and the comparison (both brought up by other people) are relevant and worthy of a response. Nothing I am about to write should be taken as an insult or devaluation of any cultural group or any individual person.

That there are norms and practices of one culture that are offensive to those in other cultures is not in any way a new idea, and there is not nor should there be a rule that we all must enjoy the habits of other people and other groups (foreign or domestic). So I will tread into this as easily as I can. Please accept that the following will likely be heavily nuanced and if a plurality of interpretation does present itself to you, please do me the favor of choosing the least offensive of the group; I promise you now that is the meaning I intend.

... okay ... My movie theater pet peeve is Indians loudly talking and singing through the movie. Why do I say Indians? Because where I lived in NYC it was predominantly Indians who frequented and conducted themselves loudly through the movie. This behavior is a culturally normal one for many Indians and I hate it.

I am told that african americans are more likely than most to talk loudly throughout a film. I remember as a youth, occasionally seeing movies at a theater in a more diverse city than I lived and that there was a lot more chatter from the predominantly black audience. But sharing a cinema with outspoken black patrons hasn't been so reliably my experience as my particular gripe about watching a movie among indians. If it were then my answer might include that group.

Would I hate it if a group of chubby white people (like myself) installed themselves behind me in a theater and sang and chanted throughout the movie? Yes I would, but this has not happened often enough to become a pet-peeve for me. A pet peeve, as I think of them, is something that rises to a special place of annoyance. For me this particular taboo, speaking during a film, is embodied through my experience as attached to this particular cultural conflict.

When I say, "Indians chanting and singing through Iron Man is a pet peeve." I'm speaking inclusively, I'm including this particular group specifically because this group fits particularly into my experience. I'm not saying that only Indians talk through movies, nor do I suggest that other cultural groups that do speak during movies don't bother me. But if the question is to name a movie theater pet-peeve, well this is one of mine.

Back to WDW...
Are you more likely to encounter extensive speaking throughout an English dialogue heavy show from English speaking guests or non-english speaking guests?

It would be fair to say that guests or groups containing guests without adequate English speaking skills would be more likely to speak during such a show. Someone might then, fairly, come to associate this behavior with non-english speaking guests (or groups of guests that include them).

This is my gripe with the OP in a nutshell, she/he (?) doesn't link her complaint to the trait that causes it (lack of english skills) but assumes that those without the english skills to get through something like CoP without conversing themselves must be 'foreign' guests. The reality is that inability to speak english fluently exists in many who are US nationals, as well as long term residents.

It is also my experience that most people in this country have a hard time identifying the nationality of another human being based on how that person talks. Someone speaking something that sounds 'Spanish-ey' might be a foreigner or he might be a second generation Texan. I still can't tell the difference between a s. African and a New Zealander. So I am leery whenever someone attributes something as important as nationality based on hearing the person in a dark theater.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #215
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am confused. Are we supposed to walk on the right in disney because we drive on the right side?

How about in a mall, shall we always walk on the right?

How about shopping in supermarket? Only checking the shelf on the right?
Yes, yes, and yes. Though by "supposed to..." I would say it is more of a soft societal norm; like wearing white after labor day.

When pedestrian and motor-vehicle traffic share the same roadway, they should travel opposite each other. This gives each the best opportunity to see the other.

It's a shame there isn't better consensus on this. Everything works better when everyone is traveling in the same direction.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #216
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Holy cow...and I thought my pet peeve was bad enough. My pet peeve is I don't get to go to Disney enough! Last visit 2007. I'm overdue for a Disney vacation!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #217
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I'm sorry, there is no way in h e double hockey sticks that I am walking down each grocery aisle twice, so that I am only shopping on the right shelves. I'm in the store long enough as it is, I'm not doubling my time. Nope.

But then I won't do that at the mall either. Guess I am just going to be the little fishy swimming upstream.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #218
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm sorry, there is no way in h e double hockey sticks that I am walking down each grocery aisle twice, so that I am only shopping on the right shelves. I'm in the store long enough as it is, I'm not doubling my time. Nope.

But then I won't do that at the mall either. Guess I am just going to be the little fishy swimming upstream.
Haha, I think of it as more of a general guideline rather than a rule. I mostly apply it when going down the main hallway in a mall or walking down the roads of Disney. When it comes to the grocery store, I keep to the right. Then, if there is a product I need on the left, I move to the left, grab the item, and them am back on the right side of the aisle. So, basically, I see the whole "keep to the right" as a general guideline for when you are constantly moving. When I need to be somewhere that happens to be on the left, I stay to the right for the main part of the walk until I am close to the place I need to be that happens to be on the left. Then, when I get close to the place I need to be on the left, I move to the left. Does that make sense?

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #219
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Haha, I think of it as more of a general guideline rather than a rule. I mostly apply it when going down the main hallway in a mall or walking down the roads of Disney. When it comes to the grocery store, I keep to the right. Then, if there is a product I need on the left, I move to the left, grab the item, and them am back on the right side of the aisle. So, basically, I see the whole "keep to the right" as a general guideline for when you are constantly moving. When I need to be somewhere that happens to be on the left, I stay to the right for the main part of the walk until I am close to the place I need to be that happens to be on the left. Then, when I get close to the place I need to be on the left, I move to the left. Does that make sense?
This is how I interpret "stay to the right". It doesn't need to be so literal. I just find it easier to move when everyone is moving in the same general direction on each side of the sidewalk/path/etc. It was something my parents ingrained in us when we were kids...stay to the right, stay together, stay in your seat, etc.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #220
TeresaBelle
Still sleeps with a security blanket

Mine's when people make Disneyworld one word... lol
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #221
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaBelle View Post
Mine's when people make Disneyworld one word... lol
Oh, or when they say "Disney World" when they mean Magic Kingdom?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #222
TeresaBelle
Still sleeps with a security blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Oh, or when they say "Disney World" when they mean Magic Kingdom?
Yes!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #223
emilily88
So fetch.

People in the midwest tend to stick to the right side of the sidewalk, at least that I've noticed. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

On a similar note from the posts above mine, I hate this one:

"I love Disney World."
"Which one?"

Disney World and Disneyland are NOT the same thing!!

WDW 2000, 2002
High School Musical Kansas premiere 2007
Lion King Gazelle Tour 2013
emilily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #224
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
No matter how nicely I ask they always address my details as MS not MISS. I hate being called ms.
Totally agree. I am Mrs not MS

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #225
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilily88 View Post
People in the midwest tend to stick to the right side of the sidewalk, at least that I've noticed. Maybe it's a cultural thing? On a similar note from the posts above mine, I hate this one: "I love Disney World." "Which one?" Disney World and Disneyland are NOT the same thing!!
Lol, I thought everyone knew the walk on the right rule. Otherwise people run into one another when walking on sidewalks!

(Midwest logic?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: