Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #136
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttle View Post
The dining plan. It has ruined dining at disney.

At counter service places when people sit at a table before they have their food , then people with trays of food are stuck wandering around.
Amen, Skuttle. Amen. And to add to it, how Disney has brainwashed people into thinking they're getting a deal with it. I always shake my head when people on these boards say they can't afford to go to Disney unless free dining is offered.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #137
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Amen, Skuttle. Amen. And to add to it, how Disney has brainwashed people into thinking they're getting a deal with it. I always shake my head when people on these boards say they can't afford to go to Disney unless free dining is offered.
In some instances it DOES save us quite a bit of money. Sometimes not. It depends on a few factors. We always do the math...and I HATE math...to see if it is.
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #138
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Butting in line. the one satisfaction was years ago when I was young and in shape. I was in line and a kid comes out of nowhere and butts in front of me. I ask him what he thinks he is doing. He says his father told him to get in front of me. I tell him to tell his father he can butt in anywhere behind me. His father comes over and says who do you think you are, I'm from New York City (???). I said that's nice I'm from Chicago. He walked away.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #139
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Or it could have been that one person was explaining what was being said to the others.
there are translation devices for that purpose.

ok what is the "politically correct" term for someone from another country? apparently "foreigner" isn't allowed anymore. alien? that always makesme think of sci fi movies!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #140
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

ok what is the "politically correct" term for someone from another country? apparently "foreigner" isn't allowed anymore. alien? that always makesme think of sci fi movies!
Apparantly I'm a horrible person for saying the word "foreigner."

I have no idea what we're supposed to call people that are from another country. Maybe "an individual not from the United States?" Maybe that wouldn't offend anyone, I don't know. No, it probably would still offend some people.
MIGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #141
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

People of other dialects usually talk TOOO DADGUM LOUD! My pet peeve is how big WDW has become. I went in the seventies, eighties and then six years ago. I COULD not believe the change it's too big. Oh the bus service is as good as it's gonna get despite their best efforts. The whole thing is too big. How are you going to corral all of us is a quick clean sweep?
honeydiane1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #142
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
In some instances it DOES save us quite a bit of money. Sometimes not. It depends on a few factors. We always do the math...and I HATE math...to see if it is.
Exactly. I always run the numbers, and I hate math. For my trip in December it even made sense to get Free Dining over the room discount. Surprised the heck out of me!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #143
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

When we were at The Beauty and the Beast show at HS last month, a mother (sitting behind us) translated the entire show to her daughter in Spanish. She wasn't whispering quietly either.

Okay, I get the dialogue having to be translated, but when the characters burst forth in song, does that need to be translated too??? Come on, can't you just enjoy the music in another language??? And the daughter was about ten for crying out loud. I'm sure she has seen the movie a million times in Spanish.....she knows what the songs are about.

Sorry to get all worked up about this. I'm fine now.
It was just really annoying.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #144
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
True; but that has nothing to do with being a "foreigner".
Totally agree.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #145
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydiane1953 View Post
People of other dialects usually talk TOOO DADGUM LOUD! My pet peeve is how big WDW has become. I went in the seventies, eighties and then six years ago. I COULD not believe the change it's too big. Oh the bus service is as good as it's gonna get despite their best efforts. The whole thing is too big. How are you going to corral all of us is a quick clean sweep?
There are loud talkers everywhere. It seems we can't go into a restaurant anymore without being seated by people who don't understand inside voices.

Lol, as for the size, dl is nice and tiny. Might be your cup if tea instead
Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #146
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

I have been to WDW 11 times and I didn't know the offered translation devices. I'm sure there are many others who don't know as well.

There is nothing wrong with the word "foreigner", it is how it is used. In this instance it wasn't needed and it was used in a rude fashion.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #147
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
Apparantly I'm a horrible person for saying the word "foreigner."

I have no idea what we're supposed to call people that are from another country. Maybe "an individual not from the United States?" Maybe that wouldn't offend anyone, I don't know. No, it probably would still offend some people.

First off you have no idea if the people were from another country or not. Secondly, you could have simply said your pet peeve was people speaking loudly in the attraction. It wouldn't have caused nearly as much drama as this did.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #148
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
First off you have no idea if the people were from another country or not. Secondly, you could have simply said your pet peeve was people speaking loudly in the attraction. It wouldn't have caused nearly as much drama as this did.
Heaven forbid someone conveys a story with details...she told a story about Spanish speaking people, so what, it was who bothered her in that particular incident. I know I would probably have a harder time tuning out the chatter in a different language than I would English. Both would be annoying, dont get me wrong, but I always find it more difficult when the chatter is a different language, Spanish, Korean etc. I will use my nail salon as an example. It is run by a nice Vietnamese family with all of the employees from that country originally. I can sit there and tune out when they talk English to their customers and watch TV while my nails dry, I find it more difficult to tune them out when they are speaking to each other in Vietnamese, I am not sure why, but it is tougher. Now do I have anything agaisnt the Vietnamese, no, but the fact that they were foreigners (many are here on work visas, and some are citizens) is germane to the story. I assumed when MIGrandma told her story it was a detail to the story, nothing more

I asked DH what his pet peeve was, and he said being DVC members in good standing and having to buy discounted tickets at AAA to get a cheaper price. He thinks WDW should offer a discount on tickets to DVC members.

Mine is line cutting. Drives me absolutely insane when people cut in line...the old "oh I need to catch up with my party" Gee why cant your party come back and meet you!!!!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #149
DawnM
Dawn

I really wish this thread had not turned in to bashing.

Heavy sigh.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #150
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Heaven forbid someone conveys a story with details...she told a story about Spanish speaking people, so what, it was who bothered her in that particular incident. I know I would probably have a harder time tuning out the chatter in a different language than I would English. Both would be annoying, dont get me wrong, but I always find it more difficult when the chatter is a different language, Spanish, Korean etc. I will use my nail salon as an example. It is run by a nice Vietnamese family with all of the employees from that country originally. I can sit there and tune out when they talk English to their customers and watch TV while my nails dry, I find it more difficult to tune them out when they are speaking to each other in Vietnamese, I am not sure why, but it is tougher. Now do I have anything agaisnt the Vietnamese, no, but the fact that they were foreigners (many are here on work visas, and some are citizens) is germane to the story. I assumed when MIGrandma told her story it was a detail to the story, nothing more

No she said foreign people. Just what does the fact that they were foreign (if they even were) has to do with talking during the performance?

me dw (pooksma) ds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: