Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
lovedisney50
Mouseketeer

Sharing Signature meals

We will be on the dining plan for our November trip. Can my dh & I share a signature meals? I can't eat much & can't drink when I eat.
lovedisney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
fruitsnack
Earning My Ears

We were in WDW in September and dined at Le Cellier - they had no issues with us sharing the meal.
fruitsnack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack View Post
We were in WDW in September and dined at Le Cellier - they had no issues with us sharing the meal.
Were you on the Dining Plan? I thought all table guests on the dining plan will get credits deducted whether you share a meal or not.

The restaurant will probably have no issue at all if you share a meal, but there's a good chance you'll still get the credits deducted whether you order a full meal or not. Only other choice would br to pay out of pocket for that meal.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

They only deduct credits for each adult at buffets/AYCTE. Otherwise it's one credit per adult meal served.

Sharing would be at the discretion of the restaurant, but I can't see an issue. We've definitely shared at LC before... aside from that we don't often dine at signatures.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I've shared meals at several Signatures before and it hasn't been a problem. If you let the server know you'll be sharing, the plates are sometimes split in the kitchen for you (not always, but sometimes).

As mentioned previously, the only times when you cannot "share" is at a buffet (e.g., Chef Mickey), fixed price meal (e.g., CRT), all-you-care-to-eat (e.g., 'Ohana), dining packages (e.g., Fantasmic dining package), and dinner shows (e.g., HDDR). You also cannot share at Via Napoli when using the dining plan; if you're paying OOP then it does not matter.

Regarding the DDP, you are only charged a credit if you order something (assuming you're not at one of the type of places listed above). So if you go to Hollywood Brown Derby (for example) and only order one entree, one drink, and one dessert, you'll only be charged 2 credits because HBD (like Le Cellier) is a Signatures and each meal costs 2 credits. On the other hand, if you opt for the Fantasmic Dining Package at the HBD, you'll each be charged 2 credits regardless of how much or how little you order (so it'll cost 4 credits for two adults).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

1) MrsRustyScupper and I almost always share meals.
2) Our appetites are small
. . . we are old folks
. . . I will not say how old we are
. . . but, when young, Dinosaur in AK used real dinosaurs, not animatronics
. . . in fact the ride was much better when my buddy invented the wheel *
3) For sharing, there weren't questions, problems, or even weird looks from servers.

* OK, it wasn't my buddy, alone. He was part of a committee designing square
cave floor tiles, and this is what they ended up with.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

They gave me a terrible time at the Big river grille and brewing works. My daughter just wanted a bowl of soup and they insisted since we were on the meal plan we could not pay OOP for her and had to use 1 TS. Lucky I said I would pay OOP for her when we ordered. After the waiter told me that it was 1 TS just for a soup I said we would leave and none of us would eat there as I was not burning an adult TS on a bowl of soup. He was shocked then said we could pay OOP. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

I pretty sure there was a thread not too long ago about this and there was a pretty big debate about sharing on the DDP. Most people seemed to think this was not allowed anywhere, since you are technically cheating Disney.*

Has their policy changed?

*The definition of cheating was debated, but it basically came down to someone on the DDP being able to pay for someone who is not on the plan. If repeated often, two people could theoretically share the price of 1 DDP and Disney makes less money. Of course, you get less food this way and might starve, but I suppose it could work for some!

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
RnbwSktles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
purple figment
DIS Veteran

We have been to almost all of the signature restaurants and never had a problem sharing. Most of the sigs are Disney owned so you'll be able share.

Other than the exceptions mentioned by figment_jii we've never had a problem sharing at any Disney owned restaurant.

The third party restaurants sometimes have stricter rules, such as the previously mentioned Via Napoli and its no sharing of credits. I've not heard that Big River Grill requires everyone to use a credit. That has come up in the past with a different restaurant, but it seemed to be a misinformed server. It sounds like the same at Big River Grill.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Were you on the Dining Plan? I thought all table guests on the dining plan will get credits deducted whether you share a meal or not.

The restaurant will probably have no issue at all if you share a meal, but there's a good chance you'll still get the credits deducted whether you order a full meal or not. Only other choice would br to pay out of pocket for that meal.
Only at certain restaurants - buffets, all you can eat, fixed price restaurants, dinner shows, special packages. Of the a la carte restaurants it appears that at this time only Via Napoli has a restriction against guests who are on a dining plan sharing a dining credit (in other words, using the credit allotment for one meal to feed two or more people.)

In the past there were reports that Beaches and Cream wasn't allowing sharing of dining credits, but I haven't seen that reported in a couple of years now.

Quote:
I pretty sure there was a thread not too long ago about this and there was a pretty big debate about sharing on the DDP. Most people seemed to think this was not allowed anywhere, since you are technically cheating Disney.*
This was regarding sharing your credits with persons who are not on the plan, as Disney has a specific written rule that says credits may not be redeemed to provide meals for persons who are not on your room reservation or dining plan. Technically, sharing your DDP meal with a guest who is not on your room reservation, with the intent of providing a full meal for them (sharing a couple of bites of your food shouldn't be a problem) falls into that category. It doesn't, however, apply to guests on the same room reservation and dining plan sharing credits among themselves.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 09-26-2013 at 01:44 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
This was regarding sharing your credits with persons who are not on the plan, as Disney has a specific written rule that says credits may not be redeemed to provide meals for persons who are not on your room reservation or dining plan. Technically, sharing your DDP meal with a guest who is not on your room reservation, with the intent of providing a full meal for them (sharing a couple of bites of your food shouldn't be a problem) falls into that category. It doesn't, however, apply to guests on the same room reservation and dining plan sharing credits among themselves.
Oh ok. So can they easily see the other person in the plan?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Please take notice that the Restaurant board is not going to allow discussion of HOW it might be possible to use your dining credits to pay for your guests' meals, which was a moderating decision made because Disney specifically states in the Dining Plan brochures that meal credits should not be redeemed to pay for meals for guests who are not on the resort reservation or dining plan.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Sorry, didn't mean to turn the thread into anything controversial. I was just confused!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

My travel agent told me it was not possible to share even if both ppl are on the DDP. I like hearing that others have had success though, maybe we will try and see. I really want to be able to share most meals if we can, neither of us eat very much (post-bariatric surgery) and we always share when eating out and still don't usually finish an entree!
12/13 Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou
12/14 Caribbean Beach Resort
vdoucet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #15
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles

Oh ok. So can they easily see the other person in the plan?
Yes, it's on your card

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: