Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Tranfer reservation to TA question

I keep reading on here about making reservation on board and then transferring it to a TA for a better OBC, how exactly does that work? We've finished 2 cruises so far and are going to be on the Fantasy next June, we are completely hooked on cruising now, so any way to save money would be great.

Thanks and happy cruising to you all.
WDW: October 2007-Doubletree Suites, October 2009-All Star Music, October 2011-Contemporary, DCL, Pop Century, June 2013-Beach Club, DCL, Polynesian, 2014-Art of Animation, DCL, 2015-DCL, Art of Animation
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You want to name your TA when you make your OBB in order to get the most OBC from the TA. You could transfer your reservation within 30 days, but some agencies cut the OBC when you do that.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Disney Chandler View Post
I keep reading on here about making reservation on board and then transferring it to a TA for a better OBC, how exactly does that work? We've finished 2 cruises so far and are going to be on the Fantasy next June, we are completely hooked on cruising now, so any way to save money would be great.

Thanks and happy cruising to you all.
If you know going in that you want to use a TA, and you've decided which one, it's generally better to just designate them when you make the onboard booking. You simply tell the CM at the future cruise desk that you want to designate "x" TA. You may need to provide the TA's phone number and the city and state they are based out of. If the cruise you are on at the time was booked through that TA, DCL will have the necessary info already.

If you do transfer, you must do it within 30 days. Aside from a little bit of extra paperwork and hassle, some TAs offer a reduced OBC for transferred reservations. One exception is Costco. They offer a cash card instead of an OBC, and it is the same amount regardless of whether you designate them when you book onboard (or book through them on land) or transfer later. But again, you must transfer within 30 days.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

There's no reason to transfer it, just name your TA when you make the reservation onboard.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One exception is Costco. They offer a cash card instead of an OBC, and it is the same amount regardless of whether you designate them when you book onboard (or book through them on land) or transfer later.
How can I find out more about this and what amount they put on the cash card?
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
How can I find out more about this and what amount they put on the cash card?
The cash card is about 9% of the total cruise fare (so not including taxes and port charges), so the amount is generally much more than you would get with an OBC from a traditional TA. One downside is that you get the card in the mail about a week after the cruise, so you don't have the money to spend during the cruise. The way I look at it, though, is the money is all coming from the same pot, so I'd rather have a bigger cash card!

If you're already a Costco member, you can go on Costco Travel's site and go through the motions of booking a cruise. You will be asked to enter your membership number and will then be able to see the exact amount of the cash card. It will vary depending on the category of room you select.

Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Old 09-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The cash card is about 9% of the total cruise fare (so not including taxes and port charges), so the amount is generally much more than you would get with an OBC from a traditional TA. One downside is that you get the card in the mail about a week after the cruise, so you don't have the money to spend during the cruise. The way I look at it, though, is the money is all coming from the same pot, so I'd rather have a bigger cash card!

If you're already a Costco member, you can go on Costco Travel's site and go through the motions of booking a cruise. You will be asked to enter your membership number and will then be able to see the exact amount of the cash card. It will vary depending on the category of room you select.
Oct 2014 Another WONDERful cruise!
Oct 2013 Our first cruise ever! LOVED the Wonder!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
There's no reason to transfer it, just name your TA when you make the reservation onboard.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
I just want to get this right. When I'm on my cruise next June, I go to desk to make another reservation, tell them I want to make it with Costco as my TA, and then I'll get a 9% cash card back after the future cruise??? In the meantime, do I have to do anything else with Costco, or does it just automatically happen?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Carrie, what part of AZ are you in? I'm in South Chandler.

Jack
WDW: October 2007-Doubletree Suites, October 2009-All Star Music, October 2011-Contemporary, DCL, Pop Century, June 2013-Beach Club, DCL, Polynesian, 2014-Art of Animation, DCL, 2015-DCL, Art of Animation
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Disney Chandler View Post
I just want to get this right. When I'm on my cruise next June, I go to desk to make another reservation, tell them I want to make it with Costco as my TA, and then I'll get a 9% cash card back after the future cruise??? In the meantime, do I have to do anything else with Costco, or does it just automatically happen?
That's right. Here is the info you'll need to give them for Costco Travel:

Costco Travel
425-657-1900
Issaquah, WA

When you get back from the cruise in June, call Costco Travel. They will ask you for your DCL reservation number. They will then be able to locate the reservation and pull it over into their system. They'll send you an e-mail confirmation with a Costco booking number. That e-mail will spell out all the details of the future cruise, including confirmation of the cash card amount.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Can I designate my local AAA office as the TA, or does it have to be a specific person in that office?
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
Can I designate my local AAA office as the TA, or does it have to be a specific person in that office?
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I want to point out that you should be sure that whoever gets your reservation at AAA is Disney-trained. I've read many reports of AAA travel reps not really knowing anything about how Disney cruising goes.

I think you should go and talk to several of the AAA travel reps and find out who knows what he/she is talking about. Rather than just putting your reservation into a pool for "next available representative".

We had a AAA travel rep for one of our previous cruises (not DCL) and she was really worthless.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

So then if I put it into the Costco system, if I need to make changes would that have to be through Costco and not DCL?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
Yes. And that goes for any travel agency. My last OBB was for DU but I didn't have an actual TA yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I want to point out that you should be sure that whoever gets your reservation at AAA is Disney-trained. I've read many reports of AAA travel reps not really knowing anything about how Disney cruising goes.

I think you should go and talk to several of the AAA travel reps and find out who knows what he/she is talking about. Rather than just putting your reservation into a pool for "next available representative".

We had a AAA travel rep for one of our previous cruises (not DCL) and she was really worthless.
Agree. My current AAA TA is a disaster - she is in the central reservation office. Since I didn't feel comfortable giving her GC via email she suggested I go to the local office to pay. At the office, they told me they couldn't really help me as they could not pull my reservation - only a TA from the central office could.

I had a couple of excellent TAs thru the years at AAA. But they both moved up the ranks to non TA work. What's left is either older reps who only have experience in Carnival or senior oriented cruises, or other younger ones that don't have an actual clue and promise you anything to get you to book.

Also, AAA has gone south with their promotions. They used to offer Visa Gift Cards with bookings. Today, they give you a AAA GC good only on their useless crap they sell. And they require full payment up front. So I will book a cruise for a year and a half away to get a $100 AAA GC if I pay in full at the time of booking??? Who's bright idea was that?

Oh wait - we also get the $50 or $100 value photo package that they insist is worth twice as that...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
qits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

I agree, AAA is totally useless!
qits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
disneymommagic
Mouseketeer

I use AAA and love my agent but I did not go though central I walked into the office two towns over and meet with my TA I liked her so much I had her book my trips.usually I do all my planning and booking for vacations due to an OCD condition, luckily my TA knows her stuff and has made my planning simple and stress free.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: