Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
momof3littles
Mouseketeer

Would you take kids to Ca Grill

for a 7:20 reservation? Our first day in MK we will probably do CP for bkfast at 8:25, which is the earliest I could get. We'll likely plan to return to our room to rest a bit mid day, and then head back to the park. We are staying in POR, so I am a bit worried that will be time consuming, but that's what we are aiming for.

We are planning this trip on relatively short notice, and I was excited to be able to get a reservation for Ca Grill at 7:20 on a night when Wishes is happening at 8pm.

My kids love sushi and so forth. They will be 9 (almost 10), 7, and almost 4 when we travel.

My thought was that with Wishes, the kids might be pretty well entertained. This is our first Disney trip, so I have no idea if we are pushing things by having our young kids there.

Should I keep that ADR? I selfishly would love to sneak in a nicer dinner or two while we are there and was looking forward to CG. But I don't want to be stressed that our kids are not welcome there. They are generally well behaved in restaurants, but I do worry about CG running drastically behind or dinner taking 2 hours. However, there will be some entertainment if Wishes is going on while we are there.

It is so hard when you've never been and can't quite picture how it all works
momof3littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If the kids are capable of behaving in the restaurant (if they can stay in their seats and won't scream protractedly, throw food or approach other tables) then they will be welcome no matter where you go at WDW (except Victoria & Alberts).

Wishes only takes about 20 minutes. You will need to be sure they are entertained for the rest of the time. You also need to know that you may not be able to see Wishes from your table and you'll have to go to the observation deck, which for obvious reasons has high walls that very little kids probably can't see over, so a parent would have to lift them up (they can't sit on the wall, again for obvious reasons)

If your reservation time is 7:20 you should probably anticipate that you won't get a view table, because those who already have them will probably hold onto them until after the show.
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

As TDC Nala said, as long as your kids are well behaved they'll be fine at CG. I've seen plenty of other children there.

Most Signature dinners do take between 90 and 120 minutes, depending on the number of courses ordered, how busy the restaurant is, etc. I would not count on anything less than 75 minutes, unless you're only doing one course.

You can request a window table when you check-in, but they're very popular and most folks will stay there until the fireworks are over starting around 2 hours before the show. The observation deck does have a nice (albeit) high view and the kids might be able to look through the fence poles to see if they can't see over the railing (no sitting on the railing at TDC Nala mentioned).

I would think that as long as you have (quiet, non-intrusive) things for the kids to do while you ate, it would be fine. CG is a relatively well lit restaurant, so video screens aren't as bad as they could be, but it the tables aren't that far apart either, so be sure to consider using earphones if that's a possible source of entertainment. Other than that, as long as they stay in the seats and are not bothering other guests, there aren't any problems with kids at CG.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Would I? No, because of the price. But if that doesn't bother you, then go for it!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

CG is fine for children. They are welcome and there is a kids menu. As others have mentioned, I would not count on seeing Wishes from your table. The observation deck may be iffy if your food arrives right before 8:00. I would ask yourself if your little one will be fine with being at a TS restaurant at 9:00 after a day in the parks. If yes, enjoy. If not, I would rethink it. One of mine would have been just fine at dinner at 9:00 at four years old. The other one would have been asleep by 8:00 no matter where we were!!!! Assuming well behaved kids, you are good at any place except V&A and CG is a good first signature experience.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

1) Personally, I would not.
2) Even if they are well behaved in fancy eateries.
3) The price is too high to feed the kiddies. *

* Yes, I love the kids and grandkids - but, maybe not that much.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
Would I? No, because of the price. But if that doesn't bother you, then go for it!

that was our thinking. But we did see some kids in the restaurant but they were few and far between. Also I agree on timing our dinner was almost 2 hours with the break for Wishes. We had a 7:30 ADR and were told all the window seats were long gone.

For me there was no way I was paying $45 an entree to race through and wrestle my kids all night
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Personally, I would not.
2) Even if they are well behaved in fancy eateries.
3) The price is too high to feed the kiddies. *

* Yes, I love the kids and grandkids - but, maybe not that much.
Exactly.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
momof3littles
Mouseketeer

Good points to think about. I started scheduling ADRs about 2 weeks ago, as this is somewhat of a last min. trip. I was excited to get in at all, but maybe I should rethink. My kids are well behaved in restaurants, and if the youngest got wiggly one of us would likely just take him for a walk (observation deck maybe?)

That is a later evening, but we're planning on afternoon rest time. At home all 3 are in bed by 8, but take varying lengths of time to fall asleep The oldest two read until 9; the little guy is up til 8:30 or so usually, sometimes later.

My other consideration is that we have a few 2 credit signatures on the ADR list right now, and we're planning on OOP. If s/p/d comes out, we may go for a meal plan, so that would mean I'd probably reduce dining at a signature to a 1-2x thing during our week at Disney.

I almost feel like I need totally different ADR plans for DDP vs. OOP. Right now I have a mix of things so at least we'll have some ADRs either way.

This is complicated. I'm such a planner, so not being able to do this at 180 days is tough for me
momof3littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
RedStars
Mouseketeer

We decided against it. Way too expensive for the kids.
RedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do it. As others have said, it is very expensive for the children.
Also there is no guarantee that you will be seated on time. Indeed, it could be after Wishes before a table opens. That, plus it is our experience that most Signature meals take us close to 2 hours - YMMV. I think it is too much to expect from a 4 yo at that time of night.
Good Luck
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
ppony
Artist in residence

As long as your children are well behaved even w/o entertainment (because you can't count on that), then yes, it's fine to have them there. I'm sure there have been kids there when we were there, but they were so well behaved, we never noticed. If we had the money, I'd bring them. Otherwise, I save that kind of dinner for just hubby and I. Those w/ smaller children might want to look into a kids club or a babysitter for a nice dinner away. It won't be quiet though. that place isn't quiet, even w/ the remodel, I can't see noise level changing.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
akadada
Doin' It All for My Baby.

Yes. to your question, although it's been well answered by others. CaliGrille is our favorite restaurant to bring the kids.

We bring our kids to every restaurant we go to and they're well behaved...although they're kids so they do kid things. Some folks don't like that...they shouldn't be going to Disney restaurants in my opinion if they don't want to see kids at dinner.

One point about food: We don't order off the kids menu: it's garbage. We order apps/sushi for the kids. Roughly the same price, better quality.

Have fun!
akadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Takket
Test Tracker

Yes

We used to bring our daughter there all the time. she loved it. the kids mac and cheese is supurb and they'll love the rooftop (Supervised of course!)
Takket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

If you feel like your children can handle being out a little later than normal, then go for it! I've taken my DS6 to many signature restaurants - Citrico's, Flying Fish, Monsieur Paul, Le Cellier, bluezoo, etc. He enjoys the food as much as we do!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: