Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #871
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
We are going to Raglan Road too, I can never be too Irished out. I like to say I'm 200% Irish, not only were both my parents Irish, but so were both my biological parents. My dad was straight off the boat with a brogue and all.
But what % of American are you?

I never notice anyone saying they are American. It's always Irish, French, Italian, English..........What about American? Why doesn't this country get a nationality? After all our ancestors left those other countries for a better life here in America.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)

RejoyceoverDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #872
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!

Quote:

We are going to Raglan Road too, I can never be too Irished out. I like to say I'm 200% Irish, not only were both my parents Irish, but so were both my biological parents. My dad was straight off the boat with a brogue and all.
Loved reading this!!!! My dh thinks I'm crazy cause when asked I only say I'm Irish (even though I'm Italian too)! I like your saying 200% ..I'm jealous! lol and my dad used to pretend he had a brogue and I LOVED it!!!!

Cara, ur dh can play the bagpipes here anytime! that's awesome!!!!! I hope he's good

Jrabbit910 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #873
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMateus View Post
13th am- Arrival / pm- MK
14th am- HS /pm- MVMCP
15th am- AK/ pm- EP
16th am/pm- EP
17th am- MK / pm- CBR
18th am- HS / pm- CBR
19th am- EP / pm- Departure
No Osborne Lights? You don't seem to stay at HS at night on any of your days.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #874
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejoyceoverDisney View Post

I never notice anyone saying they are American. It's always Irish, French, Italian, English..........What about American? Why doesn't this country get a nationality? After all our ancestors left those other countries for a better life here in America.
Talk to mh DH that's his first response always. I don't think it's a matter of disrespect but respect for where your ancestors actually came from. for every family tree the roots start somewhere.

Jrabbit910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #875
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrabbit910 View Post
Loved reading this!!!! My dh thinks I'm crazy cause when asked I only say I'm Irish (even though I'm Italian too)! I like your saying 200% ..I'm jealous! lol and my dad used to pretend he had a brogue and I LOVED it!!!!
Irish and Italian babies are the cutest - can you tell I married an Italian? Actually my husband's dad is straight of the boat too, but from outside of Venice and my MIL is mixed so my husband wound up with blond hair and blue eyes. My boys all have Irish first names and also have blue eyes and blond hair so when people hear our VERY Italian last name it is funny.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #876
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:

I'm American when I leave this country and visit other ones. Here, I'm Irish because I already know we are all Americans. My family still lives in Ireland and to them I'm their American cousin.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #877
wdwnut61
Wish I could get my countdown timer to move faster
The TF knows how special you are, wdwdnut61! :)
Queen or Nut, you choose

Quote:
That's so cool my dads side is Irish maiden name Flanagan and Scottish on Moms side.

wdwnut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #878
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm American when I leave this country and visit other ones. Here, I'm Irish because I already know we are all Americans. My family still lives in Ireland and to them I'm their American cousin.
Maybe because my ancestors are from Poland and French Canada I don't feel the need to be 200% anything.

Seriously since 9/11 it's just gotten stronger and stronger to me that my kids know they are Americans with Polish and French Canadian heritage or ya and Portuguese on my DHs side. LOL

But also because of communities around here that have rejected people because they are not ____. It really cracks me up when they are generations removed from their origin.

Happy Heritage!!!

2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #879
wdwnut61
Wish I could get my countdown timer to move faster
The TF knows how special you are, wdwdnut61! :)
Queen or Nut, you choose

11/13. Arrive POR DTD
11/14. EP
11/15. MK
11/16. AK
11/17. Rest day/pool shopping
11/18. HS
11/19. MK
11/20. HS
11/21. AK
11/22. Rest day/ pool shopping
11/23. MK
11/24. ???
11/25. Leave

wdwnut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #880
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie272 View Post
Great thanks. Are kids allowed? DD is 10 and will be with us.
Yes and she will love it

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Irishlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #881
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraMiaBelle View Post
I was my sister's favorite meal so I am going this time too! : ) Of course I am so Irished out, I hope I like it. DH is very Irish, plays the bagpipes and everything!
We go on our first night every trip. It's our family tradition and it's always a great time. As you can see from my name I'm Irish. First generation and the only American in my family of 7. My parents were born and raised in Cork, and my 4 siblings. Then they moved to America and I was born 5 months later I like to take my kids to RR so they can experience a part of their heritage

Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #882
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same here. My entire family was born over there except for me, the only American. My parents and siblings don't even have American citizenship and all have great accents. So I'm American and proud but also very proud of my Irish heritage

Old 10-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #883
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Maybe because my ancestors are from Poland and French Canada I don't feel the need to be 200% anything.

Seriously since 9/11 it's just gotten stronger and stronger to me that my kids know they are Americans with Polish and French Canadian heritage or ya and Portuguese on my DHs side. LOL

But also because of communities around here that have rejected people because they are not ____. It really cracks me up when they are generations removed from their origin.

Happy Heritage!!!
My kids think of themselves as Americans, but since my dad was straight off the boat and my mom's parents actually met on the boat my Irish culture was a lot stronger than theirs is especially since they are mixed. My father was actually one of the electricians who worked on the Twin Towers and he took me in there when I was just a baby. I was almost glad he died before they were destroyed, he would have been devastated.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #884
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlisa View Post
We go on our first night every trip. It's our family tradition and it's always a great time. As you can see from my name I'm Irish. First generation and the only American in my family of 7. My parents were born and raised in Cork, and my 4 siblings. Then they moved to America and I was born 5 months later I like to take my kids to RR so they can experience a part of their heritage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlisa View Post
Same here. My entire family was born over there except for me, the only American. My parents and siblings don't even have American citizenship and all have great accents. So I'm American and proud but also very proud of my Irish heritage

Gee, never would have guessed you were Irish My mom's family was from Cork, but my dad was from Mayo. Love the family of 7, so Irish Catholic. My dad was from a family with 8 kids and they were all just as prolific, except my dad who got the mumps during puberty which killed his chances of having kids, which is why I was adopted and how I would up 200% Irish. My mom's family only had 5 kids but between my mom and dad's side I wound up with 46 first cousins. Freakin' rabbits I tell ya'.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #885
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My kids think of themselves as Americans, but since my dad was straight off the boat and my mom's parents actually met on the boat my Irish culture was a lot stronger than theirs is especially since they are mixed. My father was actually one of the electricians who worked on the Twin Towers and he took me in there when I was just a baby. I was almost glad he died before they were destroyed, he would have been devastated.
Yes that would be sad for him.

I wasn't trying to start something on the heritage thing. I just think that sometimes being born here and people proud of their heritage that being an American born citizen gets lost. I wasn't feeling disrespect just wanting to bring the topic to thought.

OH NO!!! I apologize as I just realized that I took thoughts off Disney planning. How could I do such a horrible thing.

Let the Disney talk commence!!!!

Where is that dancing banana when you need it?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: