Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Happy New Year Trip

Hi everyone. . .So here is my attempt at a PTR. This will be a little different from others I have read. I hope you will read along and give advice because I need plenty of it.

First of all…our background. We planned this trip last July. It was going to be me (Beth), my dd Becky, my dd Jessica and her ds (I’ll just call him J. He will turn 5 next week).

So we’re going along, making plans, had my son’s wedding and then life happened….. I received a cancer diagnosis in October. We canceled the trip.

Spent the last 3 months navigating the world of cancer. I am an upbeat positive kind of person and I won’t let this get me down. Prognosis is good. I’ve had 4 chemo treatments and I’ve tolerated them quite well. 4 more to go and then on to radiation. I have not been sick and will not lose my hair. I am exhausted a lot and I cannot tolerate the cold, meaning I can’t touch anything cold and especially I can’t eat or drink anything cold. Since I live in the northeast, going to a warm climate is a good thing.

Spoke to the doctor last week and he gave the go ahead to make the trip.

So…we are going. We have shortened it, we initially were going for 10 days and visiting San Diego and my cousin in Pasadena. Now we are only going from Monday to Friday, taking the redeye home Friday night.

Unfortunately Becky changed her vacation plans when we first canceled and she is not able to go.

Our plans are to not have any plans. We will be there Jan. 6 to the 10th, spending the 7th, 8th, and 9th at Disneyland. I’m guessing it is not a busy week, I see there are no fireworks or world of color. We don’t arrive until 7:30 Monday night.

So, here are my questions:

1: Exhaustion. We are staying at the Paradise Pier Tuesday through Friday. How long of a walk will it be when I get tired? I know I won’t be able to stay in the park all day and I will probably go back to the hotel to rest for a few hours. Is there some location that is quiet within the parks that I could go to?

2: We’re trying to figure out transportation and renting a car. We definitely need a car for Friday so I will price out the difference between taking transportation to the parks and renting a car Friday only or just renting all week. Any advice would be helpful.

That's all for now. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure it out.

Happy New Year TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212814

WDW - 1978 Fort Wilderness, 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1998 Port Orleans, 2008 All Star Sports, 2009 Off Site, 2011 Off Site, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort

Disneyland - 1967, 2014 Paradise Pier
RI Disney Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
califlorican
Earning My Ears

Hi! Glad you're able to make the trip, albeit shortened, but I know you'll have an awesome time
I can only help with your first question, sorry. We stayed at PPH in September and I enjoyed my stay there. We cut through the Grand Californian and then through Downtown Disney and it took us about 10-12 minutes to reach the turnstiles, I'd say. Not a super long walk, but when you're tired it can seem longer of course. As for quiet places, I would say in Critter Country right by Splash Mountain/Pooh's Corner (by Hungry Bear) is nice. That's where we often rested! In California Adventure, I can't think of many places personally, but maybe Pacific Wharf? Sorry I can't be much help, hopefully others chime in with suggestions for you!

I'm excited for you and your trip! I'm going to be there right before you Jan 1-5.
califlorican is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlorican View Post
Hi! Glad you're able to make the trip, albeit shortened, but I know you'll have an awesome time
I can only help with your first question, sorry. We stayed at PPH in September and I enjoyed my stay there. We cut through the Grand Californian and then through Downtown Disney and it took us about 10-12 minutes to reach the turnstiles, I'd say. Not a super long walk, but when you're tired it can seem longer of course. As for quiet places, I would say in Critter Country right by Splash Mountain/Pooh's Corner (by Hungry Bear) is nice. That's where we often rested! In California Adventure, I can't think of many places personally, but maybe Pacific Wharf? Sorry I can't be much help, hopefully others chime in with suggestions for you!

I'm excited for you and your trip! I'm going to be there right before you Jan 1-5.
Thank you for the info. I was thinking it was a longer walk so I'm glad it's not. I'm starting to get excited. I made a countdown chain for my grandson. I'll post a picture soon. I'm working on an activity book also.

I'm excited for your trip. Just a few more days for you!

WDW - 1978 Fort Wilderness, 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1998 Port Orleans, 2008 All Star Sports, 2009 Off Site, 2011 Off Site, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort

Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

The walk from Paradise Pier Hotel isn't bad, especially since you cross the street and enter the Grand Californian's property. So you walk thru their lobby and out into Downtown Disney or wind thru to go to California Adventure at the resort entrance. (make sure everyone has their room key to use this entrance).

You can always rest in the lobby of the GCH as it is dimly lit and has comfy chairs.

In the parks, just find yourself a bench and people watch when you need a short break. Up in Critter Country, you can sit and watch the boats & ducks go by at the Hungry Bear Restaurant (tons of seating upstairs & downstairs...so you don't need to order anything to sit here). In Frontierland, step inside the Golden Horseshoe theater for a break. Fantasyland tends to be the busiest part of the park and finding a quiet spot is usually tough......but you can head towards Small World and find a bench. Tomorrowland you can always escape the heat by grabbing a bench by Starcade (exit of Space Mountain). On Main Street, to the left of the photo shop (if your back is to the castle), is the First Aid Station. USE THIS is you are not feeling ok.....they will let you come in and lay down if you need to. They also have nurses on staff!

Over at DCA, I believe the First Aid is near the entrance (I haven't been to this one). Hollywood Backlot area, over where they do the Mad Tea Party music (by Monster's Inc).....gives you an area to step away from crowds and let you rest. BugsLand & CarsLand....finding a bench and people watching is relaxing. Paradise Pier, at the very end is a new restaurant area with lots of seating. Benches up by Grizzly River is also relaxing.

As long as you take it slow and listen to your body.....a 3 day trip will be fun for you. I'm so glad you are getting to go.....talk about a spirit booster!!!

I can't help on the rental cars.....sorry. We usually drive or if we fly, we take the shuttle because we aren't doing anything by Disneyland.

***Best Meal Deal at the parks & DTD~~~~Earl of Sandwich!!***
(they are located on the Disneyland Hotel end of the DTD. You can exit your hotel in the back and make an easy stroll to DTD. It will be on that end)
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Cholula
Earning My Ears

I hope you have a great trip! I hope you are able to share any pics/trip reports if you feel up to it!
Cholula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
In the parks, just find yourself a bench and people watch when you need a short break.

I love people watching. Funny thing...when Jessica was born she was pigeon toed. She spent many months in casts and then braces before it was corrected. Her orthopedist told me that a lot of people have issues with their feet not being straight and he had just been to Disney World and he would watch how people were walking. Now every time I go to Disney I end up watching how people walk. It just stuck with me what he said. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of that on this trip.

As long as you take it slow and listen to your body.....a 3 day trip will be fun for you. I'm so glad you are getting to go.....talk about a spirit booster!!!

I am very good at listening to my body. I know what will happen if I don't.

***Best Meal Deal at the parks & DTD~~~~Earl of Sandwich!!***
(they are located on the Disneyland Hotel end of the DTD. You can exit your hotel in the back and make an easy stroll to DTD. It will be on that end)
I've been to Earl of Sandwich in Florida. Love it. Will definitely go there!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Countdown Chain

Here is a picture of the countdown chain I made. I got the pieces from RustManFan here on the boards except the last one I created myself.

The last chain says "We're Going to Disneyland Today".

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Monday Night

So, we are one week out. Getting super excited. Today we made hotel reservations for Monday night. We don't arrive to LAX until 7:30 p.m. which means we probably won't get to the Disneyland area until late. We didn't want to spend the money for the Paradise Pier so we booked the Best Western Stovall's Inn just down the road from Paradise Pier.

We didn't book the bus to Disneyland because it says online that the last bus is at 9:30. We're concerned that if there are any delays in our flights we might miss the last bus. So, we'll have to play that one by ear when we get to the airport. Anyone have any suggestions, how much a cab ride would be, etc. in case we miss the bus.

Tuesday morning we'll have breakfast at the Best Western and then either walk over to Paradise Pier or take a cab. I checked on google maps and it looks like it is approx. 1/2 mile. Depends on how I feel whether we walk. I'm usually the best in the morning so I don't think it will be a problem.

So, tomorrow I have my last treatment before the trip. I probably won't be on here so I wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I'm hoping everyone has a happy and healthy 2014.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
teacherlisa1978
DIS Veteran

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful trip and a happy and healthy new year! Enjoy! I can't wait to check back and see how terrific it was.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Carsland, Candy Corn, and Caramel Macchiatos-a DLR Trip Report
Disneyland: 1989, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013
Disneyland Paris: 1994-free trip won through the Disney Store!
Walt Disney World: 1992, 1997, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
teacherlisa1978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
mumto2
Mouseketeer

Best wishes for a good treatment - I am sure you are thrilled it will be the last!

We are looking into DK Livery based on reviews here, and then possibly renting a car from Alamo in DTD for the remainder of our trip, although DK Livery roundtrip might be a better option for you.

Have a great time!
Last trips: Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008, Mommy and Me weekend at ASMo, Grand Gathering at the Cabins, both in 2010, POP surprise in 2011, 2012 Harry Potter and Cars in the same trip, Disneyland for a day solo 2013

Next trips: DLR with the kids and Thanksgiving on the Dream 2014

Trip Report: Guess What Kids? You get to plan your first trip to Disneyland!
mumto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Disney Star View Post
Here is a picture of the countdown chain I made. I got the pieces from RustManFan here on the boards except the last one I created myself.

The last chain says "We're Going to Disneyland Today".
Love the chain.....very cute!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Disney Star View Post
So, we are one week out. Getting super excited. Today we made hotel reservations for Monday night. We don't arrive to LAX until 7:30 p.m. which means we probably won't get to the Disneyland area until late. We didn't want to spend the money for the Paradise Pier so we booked the Best Western Stovall's Inn just down the road from Paradise Pier.

We didn't book the bus to Disneyland because it says online that the last bus is at 9:30. We're concerned that if there are any delays in our flights we might miss the last bus. So, we'll have to play that one by ear when we get to the airport. Anyone have any suggestions, how much a cab ride would be, etc. in case we miss the bus.

Tuesday morning we'll have breakfast at the Best Western and then either walk over to Paradise Pier or take a cab. I checked on google maps and it looks like it is approx. 1/2 mile. Depends on how I feel whether we walk. I'm usually the best in the morning so I don't think it will be a problem.

So, tomorrow I have my last treatment before the trip. I probably won't be on here so I wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I'm hoping everyone has a happy and healthy 2014.
I'm sure the transportation area will have different shuttles to chose from. Just ask them for prices before being suckered into getting in to one of them. I imagine there are varying prices and these guys see people looking and become "very helpful" in getting your stuff into their vans. It's not impolite to ask right up front how much per person to your locale. Taxi would be direct but super expense coming from LAX. (it runs about $40 from Orange County Airport which is about a 15 minute ride).

Thinking about you as you have the treatment and so happy you are going on this trip!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

As promised, here are pictures of us.

Me and my Grandson

My dd and Grandson

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

So...here we are 2 days out! I am totally unprepared. Usually I am a Type A planner, not this trip. I'm kinda looking forward to just going with the flow.

The weather here is horrible. We've had 8 inches of snow but even worse is the temps. It went below 0 this morning, we're in the teens right now. I can't wait to get into the warm temps of Southern California...above 70 all week. Nights will be chilly but I'm bringing some thermal shirts with me and a few sweatshirts. Usually the issues I have with the cold go away after a week so I'm hoping it won't affect me at Disney.

Hubby is taking me last minute shopping later (he has a truck that has remote start) and then out to dinner. I wish my appetite was better but it does mean I won't be spending a lot of money on food.

Speaking of food, we are celebrating GS's birthday at Disney. Our plans are to have dinner at the Paradise Pier, DD has ordered the pirate treasure cake for him. He just loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates, so I think he will be very surprised.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Love the chain.....very cute!!

I'm sure the transportation area will have different shuttles to chose from. Just ask them for prices before being suckered into getting in to one of them. I imagine there are varying prices and these guys see people looking and become "very helpful" in getting your stuff into their vans. It's not impolite to ask right up front how much per person to your locale. Taxi would be direct but super expense coming from LAX. (it runs about $40 from Orange County Airport which is about a 15 minute ride).

Thinking about you as you have the treatment and so happy you are going on this trip!!!
The chain did come out very cute. He loves it and loves shouting out how many days are left.

I'm going to look into what is available for transportation before we leave. I'm a little worried about being delayed as we are stopping in Kansas City and they are predicting a snowstorm in the Midwest Sunday.

Thank you for all your thoughts. It means a lot to me...and I am so happy we are able to take this trip.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto2 View Post
Best wishes for a good treatment - I am sure you are thrilled it will be the last!

We are looking into DK Livery based on reviews here, and then possibly renting a car from Alamo in DTD for the remainder of our trip, although DK Livery roundtrip might be a better option for you.

Have a great time!
Thank you for your wishes. I guess I wasn't very clear, it's not my last treatment, just the last one before the trip. I still have 3 more to go.

DK Livery looks like it might be a good option for us. We are going to rent a car from DTD on Friday as we are not going into the parks and we don't fly home until midnight and we are going to visit my cousin in Pasadena. DD wants to go to Malibu also.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: