Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #61
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ofUs View Post
Hmmm... the gentleman I spoke with at DCL last week was the one who told me this as he used to work for Disney at WDW but left and went to work for DCL. He actually gave me the name of the company that employees him, which I won't share per his request. According to him, they operate 'under the Disney umbrella' but were not owned by Disney. Perhaps what he meant was not 'a wholly owned subsidiary'? That would fit with your statement as well.
DCL outsources certain parts of their operations. For instance, their ground transportation is actually owned and operated by Mears. Perhaps their ship maintenance staff is also outsourced. But I know that their core staff (steering crew, management and dinning) are Disney employees, as per conversations I've had with some of them, and go through quite a rigorous hiring process.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #62
DIScover
Jack of All; Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
DCL outsources certain parts of their operations. For instance, their ground transportation is actually owned and operated by Mears. Perhaps their ship maintenance staff is also outsourced. But I know that their core staff (steering crew, management and dinning) are Disney employees, as per conversations I've had with some of them, and go through quite a rigorous hiring process.
Sorry for jumping in here; I was hoping we could keep this forum post responses about the DCL Mobile App and leave this subject matter to another discussion thread.

However there have been some pretty strong statements made about DCL and who owns it so I feel somewhat responsible in correcting some possible misstatements.

I am in complete agreement with Coldflame. DCL is owned by the Walt Disney Corporation and should be looked at no differently than companies like ESPN, ABC (the TV network), Touchstone Pictures, Marvel, Lucas Film etc. Make no mistake; and without quoting all legal mumbo-jumbo that backs up my statement...DCL is part of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division of The Walt Disney Corporation

For any doubters or the misinformed, you can read the official Disney Fiscal Year 2012 Annual Financial Report And Shareholder Letter

http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycom...kwrap-2012.pdf

Sorry to get so formal.

Like Coldflame mentions, there are companies that provide staffing services for DCL and the ships; this is common in every type of industry. So your statement that your friend made is plausible. He/she may not be an actual DCL employee, but most likely a "contracted" employee from a staffing or service firm who receives compensation and benefits through a 3rd-party. But I assure you he/she (and the company he/she work for) ultimately reports to a DCL, WDPR, and TWDC. The employees at Senses would be a good example of this model.

And now that that's settled (if its not, lets start another discussion thread)...How about that App... Its cool right?

Can't wait to use it on my March Dream Back-2-Back and September 7-day out of San Juan on the Magic.
DIScover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #63
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnra View Post
I generally keep my phone off at cruise time. What happens if i turn it on doesn;t a data plan kick in and I have to pay verizon for that feature.

thanks for the help

That was going to be my question - you beat me to it!

Thank you, OP for this awesome post!
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #64
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ofUs View Post
Hmmm... the gentleman I spoke with at DCL last week was the one who told me this as he used to work for Disney at WDW but left and went to work for DCL. He actually gave me the name of the company that employees him, which I won't share per his request. According to him, they operate 'under the Disney umbrella' but were not owned by Disney. Perhaps what he meant was not 'a wholly owned subsidiary'? That would fit with your statement as well.
With whom did you speak? I can tell you that the CMs that work at port are not employed directly by Disney. These CMs do not get the same benefits as CMs at the Parks or other various places. I know this because my MIL works for Disney and was looking to go to work at port, but was told she would lose her benefits (for the parks, etc.) because they are not employed by Disney directly. So if that is the person you were talking with you are correct. The CMs on the ship themselves get different perks than those in the Parks (which makes sense), but they are still employed under the Disney umbrella. The ships as far as everything I have ever read are DISNEY'S ships.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #65
Postal68
DIS Veteran

I'm afraid my phone plan's roaming will automatically kick in if I turn my phone on. How could you use this app without having that happen???
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #66
mhconley
Califloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
That was going to be my question - you beat me to it! Thank you, OP for this awesome post!
The phone needs to be in airplane mode, that turns cellular data off. You then turn wifi on. Your provider charges you for cellular data, not wifi data.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: June 6-13, 2015
Polynesian: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #67
mhconley
Califloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
I'm afraid my phone plan's roaming will automatically kick in if I turn my phone on. How could you use this app without having that happen???
See my post above. Roaming is cellular, not wifi.

Martin

Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: June 6-13, 2015
Polynesian: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #68
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
The phone needs to be in airplane mode, that turns cellular data off. You then turn wifi on. Your provider charges you for cellular data, not wifi data.

Martin

That's what I figured but I tried it before my post and when I switch my phone to airplane mode and wifi automatically disconnects

Never mind I got it
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #69
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIScover View Post
Your UPDATE was funny. I am happy for your tablet; getting to go on its first cruise. I am also happy for all electronic gizmos that get to take cruises and be useful to their owners. "Kinda-like" Andy's toys; right?

DIScover
Glad you enjoyed that. Definitely like Andy's toys. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Tonight my tablet & I are way too excited to sleep! We will be boarding the Fantasy in just a few hours. Thanks to your very informative post, I am very excited to try out this app on our cruise. We might even let my iphone join the party, but since the tablet is much easier to read from & is not on any cell or data plan, it will get the most use.

Thanks again for your help. Without having read this post I probably wouldn't have tried to use the app, now I can't wait to see how it works!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #70
bobyetman
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if they are continuing with the use of the App on current cruises? I'm trying to decide if I need to install the app for my upcoming November cruise. Also, any rumors on an iPad version that takes advantage of the extra screen real-estate?
WDW - Fall 83, 84, Feb 90, Nov 92, Jun 94, Jun 98, May 99, Dec 2000, Apr 01, Apr 02, Dec 03, Aug 04, Jan/May/Dec 05, Apr 06, Mar/Jul/Nov 07, Apr/Dec 08, Mar, Dec 09, Jun 10, Oct 10, Jan 11, Mar/Nov 12, Nov 13 - DCL - Apr 08 (W), Dec 08 (W), Jun 10 (W), Jan 11 (D) - Apr 12 (F) - Dec 12 (W) Nov 13 (F) - DL - Nov 80, Jun 81, Sep 90, May 98, Apr 11, Dec 12,
bobyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #71
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobyetman View Post
Does anyone know if they are continuing with the use of the App on current cruises? I'm trying to decide if I need to install the app for my upcoming November cruise. Also, any rumors on an iPad version that takes advantage of the extra screen real-estate?
I know it'll be ready for my December cruise, not sure when before that though. I would say chances are good.

I'll ask my source about an iPad version.

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #72
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

What a great review, DIScover! We were on the same cruise and I loved using it especially for meal times, menus and port schedules. Since we were on the Fantasy for the first time, the deck plans were useful for me as well.

I marked just ok on the review sheet as it did seem fairly limited but in retrospect should have marked it higher since I used it so often and did enjoy it. I need to rate it on my phone.

Coldflame, I need to read your explanation, too.

What's everyone's guess as to whether the Magic will offer it when it returns next month?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
MRAven
We Believe in The Dream that brings us The Wonders of The Magic to keep The Fantasy Alive for Ever

Thank you for this review

Disney Magic 7 Night Western Mediterranean Aug 20, 2011
Disney Fantasy 7 Nights East Caribbean Dec 29, 2012
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise Oct 26, 2013
Disney Magic 14 days West Bound Trans Atlantic Sep 6, 2014

MRAven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #74
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

so, does this app work in the terminal? it would be a great way to start while you wait.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #75
DIScover
Jack of All; Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
so, does this app work in the terminal? it would be a great way to start while you wait.
Yes, when the Fantasy is docked you should be able to connect to the Guest WiFi (DCL-Guest) and the Navigator for the entire itinerary should be available to you while you are in the terminal.

DIScover
DIScover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, ipad, iphone, mobile, navigator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: