Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectmatch300 View Post
We sail on Sat, I think I may need to find a teenager to bring with me to help me figure out how to get this app up and running. So much for being able to disconnect from all the electronics while on the cruise! The app does sound really good, so I am going to give it a try.

Am I understanding correctly that I can get the app installed from home before we board the Fantasy? Once we board, I put the phone on airplane mode, then turn on wi-fi, and go to Disney Guest so I will not incur extra charges. I'm sure once I get the app up and running I'll be good with it, but I would rather not have to fusswith it too much on embarkation day.

I guess I'd better make sure I bring my charger. Usually on a cruise my phone stay OFF. I would love to be able to use my android tablet for this instead of my phone because the bigger screen on the tablet is SO MUCH easier for me to read.

UPDATE! I just went onto my iphone, got the app installed NO PROBLEM! I didn't even need a teenager! After reading all the great info on this thread it was very easy to get installed. As the OP said, it's just the shell right now, but I know I will get a lot of use out of it on our cruise. Thank you very much to the OP on this thread, and to everyone else who contributed here for providing such great info about this app.
were you able to get it on your android tablet? i have it on my ipad and its full screen once i hit the 2x button.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
were you able to get it on your android tablet? i have it on my ipad and its full screen once i hit the 2x button.
While on board last week I used it on both my iPhone and my Nexus 7. Works flawlessly on both.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
napleskid
Earning My Ears

Great post! I used the app on our 9/7 cruise. At check-in they mentioned the app, but didn't stress the point to download while at port. I forgot about the app until I was going through all my cruise info on day 2 and downloaded it then. I found it useful, except one day all the activity times were off by one hour. I missed the captain's signing because of that. I agree with all the suggestions you listed for improvements and inclusions. I would have really like to have had the bridge report (with precipitation radar data) and the ship's announcements included. I especially found the dinner menus helpful. I found it awkward having to switch wifi accounts when switching between the app and internet usage. Overall, I liked the app, but several CMs said they feared a large loss of cell phones on board if guests started carrying them everywhere. I was using IOS6.
napleskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
I think this is cool, but unfortunately won't use it. Our family has a little ceremony when we get to our stateroom where we all turn off our electronics and vault them for the week. It's one of our favorite parts of cruising.
I am soooo with you!!!! As cools as this may be, I do not want to carry my phone around at all!!! It goes into the safe right around sail away and won't come out again until we arrive at the terminal the last morning!!!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #35
torontodisneyfan
Little known fact: Mickey is Canadian

As an aside...and sorry if I missed this info...but does this mean wifi is now free on board or is this simply a local network that does not enable passengers to access "the outside world"?
April 2010 DCL: 8 day The Fantasy-E Caribbean May 2012, 8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean May 2013, 8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean (incl Jamaica) May 2014, 8 day The Fantasy-E Caribbean (incl Tortola) Apr 2016 booked

torontodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
I am soooo with you!!!! As cools as this may be, I do not want to carry my phone around at all!!! It goes into the safe right around sail away and won't come out again until we arrive at the terminal the last morning!!!
Me three. The only reason we tried it (and I wrote and posted pictures about about it) last week was simply as a novelty and information, but we too prefer to "unplug" while on the cruise -- that's the whole point, no? Although I hope they release it for wide adoption soon, we probably won't be using it very often at all. Sometimes we don't even use the paper Navigator We just go with the flow unless there's a specific event we really want to see or activity we want to partake in. I think it might be much more valuable for inexperienced DCL cruisers that for seasoned DCL veterans. Once you've sailed a few times, you kind of know when and where to be without needing to consult the Navigator.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontodisneyfan View Post
As an aside...and sorry if I missed this info...but does this mean wifi is now free on board or is this simply a local network that does not enable passengers to access "the outside world"?
Shameless plug: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...11&postcount=1
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
DIScover
Jack of All; Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
I certainly understand everyone's point about how they choose to enjoy a cruise "unplugged." Some might be plugged-in more than you realize when you think about it. Phones now-a-days are not just phones.

Once on board, my iPhone goes into airplane mode and becomes my iPod, where I have access to my music for relaxation whether it be at the pool, adult area, making laps on Deck 4 and dare I say it... "the Gym" in Senses. When I am not listening to music, my iPhone becomes my camera and video recorder for all of those special pictures and videos I love to take. It's also my watch and personal data assistant (reminders and alarm clock for those early morning jogs), heck its also my pedometer, diary and plays videos; all in a package that conveniently slips in my pocket.

My iPad is my eReader and movie player (I love movies); I have access to hundreds of books, magazines, periodicals and my movie collection that is instantly available depending on my mood. I enjoy reading in my downtime. I love sitting in the Cove Café reading a good book enjoying a cup of their coffee. Speaking of which, Doesn't DCL have the best coffee? Not to forget, that I like puzzles, teasers, and time-wasting games; and the iPad is a great addition to provide me all of those without the need to carry all that stuff around in a "murse." or bag.

To each his or her own on how they spend their vacation. The most important point is that we are all fortunate to be able to spend it on a DCL cruise.
DIScover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

GREAT THREAD!!!

Thanks for shring, looking forward to using it in November....
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
mstree7832
Mouseketeer

dining rotation

How does the app "know" a guest's dining rotation schedule? By cell phone number, maybe?

Dawn and Mike Streeter - Dawn: 1st Trip 77-Mike : 76-90 outside the park.-Together 12/91-92 Buena Vista Palace, 12/92 Big Red Boat Contemporary-12/93 Dixie Landing 12/94-2/95- Polynesian/DL-2/96 - OKW DVC -12/97-01 OKW 12/02-03 Riverside-12/04 Riverside - OKW-02/05 - All Star- 12/06 OKW-12/08 Coronado Springs--5/16 Disney Wonder 11/6 Disney Dream
mstree7832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstree7832 View Post
How does the app "know" a guest's dining rotation schedule? By cell phone number, maybe?
it doesn't. It simply has all three menus.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #42
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I used the app on our 9/14 sailing, and I thought it was fantastic! I think it was pretty great as it was, and didn't see a need for more personalized info. I used to hate carrying around the navigator and rarely did, so I missed things. This time I could open the app anywhere to check in on times, locations, hours, events...everything. As far as disconnecting... I was. I didn't text or call, or fb, so I was disconnected. But having all the information at hand was great, and I was already using it for my camera, and clock anyway (ever noticed the lack of clocks on the ship?!?!). Overall, I think I would be really disappointed if this were not available on my future cruises.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #43
jmelyn
Earning My Ears

Awesome review of the app. We are sailing in November and can't wait to try it out. Thanks for being so detailed.
Offsite-July 4/5 2003 Quick Trip
Our First Family Trip POR (Land/Sea) Wonder-May 2009
Disney Dream 4 Days at Sea, 4 Days Land (POR) March27-April 4 2011

Disney Fantasy October 6-13 2012
jmelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #44
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Fantastic review. Thanks for sharing.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #45
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

I got to see this early (my BIL works for Disney) and I was impressed. I have it on my phone ready for my December cruise.

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, ipad, iphone, mobile, navigator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: