Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Yes - Enabling airplane mode should turn off Verizon's mobile data, but just to be safe I always do that manually, then turn on wi-fi.
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnra View Post
I generally keep my phone off at cruise time. What happens if i turn it on doesn;t a data plan kick in and I have to pay verizon for that feature.

thanks for the help
Put your phone on airplane mode and turn wi-fi on. Then you won't incur any data charges.
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the fantastic and detailed review of the app. I'm hoping it will be available when we sail 10.19 on the Fantasy

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
ScottieMouse
Earning My Ears

Thanks for posting all you can about the app! If they have it on the October 12th voyage I will be sure to check it out and see if I notice any differences/improvements.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
HawkeyeMickey77
Mouseketeer

Wonderful review! Thanks for taking the time to share! I loved your list of suggestions too! Really hoping this will be available for our 11/9/13 Fantasy sailing!
My 1st Trip to the World-1/90, EuroDisney-6/93, WDW (DH's 1st trip!)-9/05, 1 day @ Epcot-3/09, 1st visit with my boys to WDW-9/09, WDW Solo 9/10, Birthday trip & 1st time to DL-1/11, Pre-Cruise Stay @ ASMu & DCL Dream Cruise-3/12, WDW Marathon Trip/POR-1/13, & Booked on the DCL Fantasy 11/13!
HawkeyeMickey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
EeyoreJMH
DIS Veteran

I'm on the 9/21 sailing now and the app is live for this cruise When we checked in, we received a sheet about it and they had a help desk set up in the terminal. The CM checking us in said she thought the app will stay live at least for the next month.

Oct 2014: Food & Wine & Fantasy Eastern
January 2015: DH WDW Marathon & Castaway Challenge on Dream
EeyoreJMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMickey77 View Post
Wonderful review! Thanks for taking the time to share! I loved your list of suggestions too! Really hoping this will be available for our 11/9/13 Fantasy sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreJMH View Post
I'm on the 9/21 sailing now and the app is live for this cruise When we checked in, we received a sheet about it and they had a help desk set up in the terminal. The CM checking us in said she thought the app will stay live at least for the next month.
The app description has been updated to imply that it's live full-time for the Fantasy. There is no longer any mention of just those initial two cruises in the description:
Quote:
The Disney Fantasy on board Personal Navigator just went digital!

Starting with Disney Fantasy, we’ve got a brand new way to cruise. The Disney Fantasy Navigator app brings valuable Disney cruise information right to your mobile device.

Disney Fantasy Navigator is only the first leg of our journey with the new Disney Cruise Line on board app. Soon the app will be available for Disney Dream, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder and we will be adding new features along the way.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
patches4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet33 View Post
Put your phone on airplane mode and turn wi-fi on. Then you won't incur any data charges.
Airplane mode on, Wifi on, calls go directly to VM. Would I then be charged for the calls going to VM? AT&T seems to think that unless I forward my number to a US number, it may? Any help? We leave on Sat.
patches4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
mhconley
Califloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches4me View Post
Airplane mode on, Wifi on, calls go directly to VM. Would I then be charged for the calls going to VM? AT&T seems to think that unless I forward my number to a US number, it may? Any help? We leave on Sat.
No. They would have no idea your phone is even on. Do they charge you for voicemails left when your phone is turned off?

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Polynesian / Yacht Club: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
What are the little icons by each menu item? (Logo, chef mickey, etc?)
They define the activity type: dinning, character appearance, theater play, etc.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I really doubt they are going to abandon this... they've been working on it since late last year (we were approached to do a beta testing for it and had a blast sitting down with them daily giving feedback). Glad to see they have made so much further progress!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
patches4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
No. They would have no idea your phone is even on. Do they charge you for voicemails left when your phone is turned off?

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for the help, that's what I thought, but the lady at AT&T kept insisting I would have to turn voice mail off or forward my voice mails to another US land line. I happen to use an app called YouMail anyway. And that is really forwarding my voice mail calls to their US number and I can look or hear messages on the internet over wifi. I'm not even going to worry about trying to listen to vm anyway. But I think I should be OK in Airplane mode.
patches4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #28
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

We sail on Sat, I think I may need to find a teenager to bring with me to help me figure out how to get this app up and running. So much for being able to disconnect from all the electronics while on the cruise! The app does sound really good, so I am going to give it a try.

Am I understanding correctly that I can get the app installed from home before we board the Fantasy? Once we board, I put the phone on airplane mode, then turn on wi-fi, and go to Disney Guest so I will not incur extra charges. I'm sure once I get the app up and running I'll be good with it, but I would rather not have to fusswith it too much on embarkation day.

I guess I'd better make sure I bring my charger. Usually on a cruise my phone stay OFF. I would love to be able to use my android tablet for this instead of my phone because the bigger screen on the tablet is SO MUCH easier for me to read.

UPDATE! I just went onto my iphone, got the app installed NO PROBLEM! I didn't even need a teenager! After reading all the great info on this thread it was very easy to get installed. As the OP said, it's just the shell right now, but I know I will get a lot of use out of it on our cruise. Thank you very much to the OP on this thread, and to everyone else who contributed here for providing such great info about this app.

Last edited by perfectmatch300; 09-26-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Update
perfectmatch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
DIScover
Jack of All; Master of None

I appreciate everyone’s kind responses. I have been a recipient of DIS information and found the forum so helpful when we first started Disney cruising.

It was my turn to pay it forward.

Another observation I recently made (couple of nights ago) was the seamless look and feel to the Disney World mobile app. Well duh, it would stand to reason that the apps (Disney Cruise and Disney World) would look and feel the same. I sometimes get desensitized to “All Things Disney” because we live so close, and we visit on a regular basis. If you have used the WDW mobile app then you should know what to expect from the DCL app.

Secret Disney Wish…

“I wish I may I wish I might…I wish I could be a guest Imagineer and provide some useful insight…. at least on their DCL mobile app.”

I envy AquaDame and her post about being approach to comment on the app’s development. I hope they have the app available in time for my March back-to-back on the Dream and September on the Magic.

Speaking of which, I will most likely write a detailed trip report on my Sept. Magic cruise.

It’s a brand new (but limited) ship itinerary out of San Juan PR. It’s a 7-day which leaves port at 9:30 PM and has 6 ports-of-call (including San Juan); St. John's, Antigua, Castries, St. Lucia, St. George's, Grenada, Bridgetown, Barbados, Basseterre, St. Kitts and back to San Juan, PR. Whew, I will be “excursioned” out by the end of this one.

DIScover
DIScover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

I think this is cool, but unfortunately won't use it. Our family has a little ceremony when we get to our stateroom where we all turn off our electronics and vault them for the week. It's one of our favorite parts of cruising.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, ipad, iphone, mobile, navigator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: