Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
karentan
my main job for tomorrow is to give cerby a bath, and make a cheesecake

The funny thing is that I've said from the outset that this trip is so I can go see all the things that we normally miss. I've only been here an hour and a half and already found three things I didn't know existed! Didn't know there was a tequila bar in Mexico, that you can walk through the stave church in Norway, and didn't know there was a display of replicas of the terracotta warriors in china!
Shows how much of Epcot we normally miss

Well I ended up giving up about quarter past eight because the tiredness was getting the better of me, so started walking back when it started chucking it down. Took a quick detour into Spaceship earth on the way out to try and pass some time while the rain slowed down, and I'm now finally back at the hotel, albeit a bit damp. In the food court at the moment which is absolutely heaving then heading back to room, which hopefully should now have my luggage in it
28/8/14-11/9/14 Solo trip @ Celebration suites!! 24/9/13-2/10/13 Solo trip @ ASMo + DDP!! 22/2/13-1/3/13 @ POP!! 19/1/13-26/1/13 2 nights POP, 3 nights POR, 2 nights Poly!! 8/9/12-22/9/12 - 3 nights Edenton NC, 7 nights SSR, 3 nights WL CL and DDP!! 5/5/12-12/5/12 Celebration Suites!! 10/9/11-29/9/11 - Disney Magic WBTA, WDW, Edenton, NC!! 5/6/10-12/6/10 - Barcelona to Dover on Disney Magic repo!! 12/9/09-28/9/09 - SSR, AKV, DDP, MNSSHP, 3 nights Disney Wonder!! 4/11/08-25/11/08 - AKL CL, Disney Wonder, villa!! 11/05 - disney fairy tale wedding and honeymoon!! 11/02 - disneyland, 05/99 - disneyland paris, 7/98 - WDW, 11/92 - WDW, 11/91 - WDW

Last edited by karentan; 09-24-2013 at 09:15 PM.
karentan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #32
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karentan View Post
The funny thing is that I've said from the outset that this trip is so I can go see all the things that we normally miss. I've only been here an hour and a half and already found three things I didn't know existed! Didn't know there was a tequila bar in Mexico, that you can walk through the stave church in Norway, and didn't know there was a display of replicas of the terracotta warriors in china!
Shows how much of Epcot we normally miss
Epcot is an incredible park. I still know there are many things that we have not seen or didn't know to see, despite spending a large proportion of our time there every trip. I hope you're taking lots of photos
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Epcot is my fave park. We always seem to discover something new to see.

Hope your case was waiting for you. Ive never tried leaving it to DME
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #34
edinburghlass
DIS Veteran

Another whose favourite park is Epcot and haven't seen these things either! What a great start to your holiday, enjoying reading along.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #35
karentan

Well thanks to the lovely jet lag it's 4.50am here and I've already been up about half hour already. Tried to stay up as late as I could last night to avoid jet lag but it obviously didn't work lol, and that coupled with the family that decided to have an extremely loud and long conversation outside my room at midnight (complete with hyped up kids running up and down the corridor) means I haven't had much sleep. Will probably suffer for it later
Not 100% sure where I'll end up today but its probably going to be MK, meeting friends at the contemporary at 2.30 so it seems the easiest option think I'll grab some brekkie before heading out. Then there's six of us attempting the kitchen sink later, should be interesting

Few things I've noticed at the hotel:
My room has a working fridge. They're working on replacing every fridge on property due to a possible defect, and last time I checked the ASMo FAQ thread on here a few days ago it was showing that most rooms still didn't have a fridge. Don't know if they've replaced them in last few days or whether me having what's technically a handicapped accessible room has anything to do with that? (ie might be more likely to need it for medical reasons?) either way I'm happy to have the fridge
The new rapid fill RFID refillable mugs are in full swing here but people seem very confused by them. You have to put the cup centrally on the little black tray to get it to work and its causing queues because people don't get how to work them. I mean it's not rocket science but people can't get them to work right away so they're assuming they're broken and walking away drink less
Love bugs are here but not too bad, seen a few around but it's not a massive infestation
28/8/14-11/9/14 Solo trip @ Celebration suites!! 24/9/13-2/10/13 Solo trip @ ASMo + DDP!! 22/2/13-1/3/13 @ POP!! 19/1/13-26/1/13 2 nights POP, 3 nights POR, 2 nights Poly!! 8/9/12-22/9/12 - 3 nights Edenton NC, 7 nights SSR, 3 nights WL CL and DDP!! 5/5/12-12/5/12 Celebration Suites!! 10/9/11-29/9/11 - Disney Magic WBTA, WDW, Edenton, NC!! 5/6/10-12/6/10 - Barcelona to Dover on Disney Magic repo!! 12/9/09-28/9/09 - SSR, AKV, DDP, MNSSHP, 3 nights Disney Wonder!! 4/11/08-25/11/08 - AKL CL, Disney Wonder, villa!! 11/05 - disney fairy tale wedding and honeymoon!! 11/02 - disneyland, 05/99 - disneyland paris, 7/98 - WDW, 11/92 - WDW, 11/91 - WDW
Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #36
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Oh I so hate that first morning when you wake up with the lark and 4am and there is NOTHING to do but watch Disney Stacy Aswad on your TV. I really don't think there is any way to avoid it. We've tried staying up and it really doesn't make much difference!

Glad you got a fridge, suffering luke warm drinks in your room is nasty. I actually wondered how the Rapid fill Mugs were going to affect people. Whenever there is a change people seem to lose their damn minds.

Got a question for you to investigate... can you let us know if there any sign of the Food & Wine wristlet gift cards? I haven't seen anything posted anywhere if they are doing those this year.

Have a fun day... enjoy the Kitchen Sink!
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #37
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance

Got a question for you to investigate... can you let us know if there any sign of the Food & Wine wristlet gift cards? I haven't seen anything posted anywhere if they are doing those this!

Ive seen some signs up at Epcot advertising them
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #38
karentan

Well today has been a really nice, but LOOOOONG day.
After waking up at 4.30am, and trying to waste time at the resort, I got a bus to MK and got there about 8.50am. They were already letting people in, assuming they had done rope drop early? I had no real plans for touring, so ended up getting in queue for mickey meet and greet as it was only showing 5 minutes and I knew it wouldn't stay like that, so headed in. Got my photo with mickey, and one in front of the castle, then headed over towards adventureland. When I'm with Gary we very rarely stop for character photos, but as I was on my own today and now in a photopass share, I thought this would be a good trip to get some photos in.
I went to head towards jungle cruise before realising that it was closed for refurb, didn't fancy the magic carpets at that time, so headed to BTMRR. It was only showing five minutes so rode that, then went on splash mountain. It kept stopping every so often, and as usual, s*ds law I got stuck next to the big waterfall, so ended up a lot wetter than I should have been.
Called Gary after I got off that, it was raining at the time so tried to hide under a tree to avoid some of the rain, while trying to keep the wifi stable enough to not keep cutting the call off. Ater that I headed to liberty square and went on hall of presidents. I honestly can't remember if I've ever watched this before, but found it quite interesting and very patriotic. Rode haunted mansion after that, they seem to have changed the queue line, where you used to have the option to skip the graveyard, you can't anymore as that old cut through is now used for fastpass plus. After I got out, the liberty riverboat was in the dock, so rushed over there and rode that, this is another one I haven't rode in years and was a nice leisurely ride round the river.
After the boat I headed into fantasyland, and watched philharmagic, then rode the caroussel. After looking through some of the shops i heard the celebrate street party, so wandered through the castle to go watch. Havent seen this in full before, and it was lovely to watch, everyone seemed very enthusiastic to join in the dancing parts after the parade i headed back through the castle, it was getting busier at this point, so decided to leave new FL to another day, so headed over to tomorrowland instead. I had a date in the evening with a kitchen sink at beaches and cream, so although I wasn't particularly hungry at the time i got lunch at starlight cafe, as I knew that if I didn't eat lunch, I'd be ravenous by dinner time.
After lunch I rode the speedway, which I don't think we've done since we got married, so 8 years ago. Only I could get stuck in a traffic jam on a ride where the cars/go karts ride on a track! After getting off that, it was almost 2, and I was due to meet friends at the contemporary at 2.30 so headed towards the exit. Stopped on the way to watch the dapper dans for a while, those guys really are good. Got the monorail to CR, had a very quick wander round the shops, then met my friends outside at half two.
Spent an hour or so shopping in the cast stores behind the MK then headed over to the beach club and beaches and cream. We got there about half four, got a pager then were seated at 5. We were only there to tackle the kitchen sink, so ordered it (minus the coffee ice cream). Glad to say we managed it just about between four of us, if it was any bigger we'd have had to admit defeat as we were all feeling a bit sick afterwards.
Sat by storm along bay for an hour or so chatting, then headed back to Kidani village where our friends were staying. Stayed there til about half eight, until the tiredness was getting the better of me. They kindly dropped me back at ASMo, and now sat with a glass of baileys unwinding before bed
Hopefully I'll get a bit more sleep tonight....
Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #39
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Hope you manage to sleep a bit later today, although the early starts are good to get some rides done before the crowds

The noisy neighbour is one thing that's put me off staying in hotels as I am a light sleeper so we normally stay in a TH. Although at CSR in December we were lucky and had a really quiet top floor, corner room. Hopefully your neighbours were quieter last night.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #40
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Sounds like a great day. Its great to go in and do things at your own pace and do little things you don't do often, we only did Hall of Presidents last year for the first time.
Did you get anything in the cast shop? we usually pick up 1 or 2 bits but never much to interest us.
How much is Kitchen Sink now, I thought it was overpriced at $22.99 when we had it, I am sure its more than that now. Its OK for the novelty factor but not that great, prefer other desserts they do.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #41
karentan

Bought a couple of Xmas decorations but wasn't much there this time so didn't bother. Plus I'd have been buying stuff for the sake of it so didn't see the point.
Think the kitchen sink is $26.99 now, it was more than enough for four people, we split the bill four ways so wasn't too bad at all, but suppose that if you are paying for the whole thing, then it's a bit pricey. Warning to those who don't like peanut butter, we found what seemed like half a jar at the bottom, gets very sickly when all you've got left is melted ice cream and peanut butter!

Had a bit more sleep last night, woke up at 6.30 and no noisy wake up its EMH at MK this morning, but I think I'm gonna head to AK instead, only doing half a day at wherever I end up anyway as gotta come back about 1.30 ish, get changed, then off to pick up the hire car
Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #42
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Sounds like you're having a great time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #43
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Seems like you're enjoying going solo. Like you, one of my favourite things was discovering different areas of the parks I'd not seen before.
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
irenep
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying reading your live TR

Sometimes, the thought of a solo trip is really appealing
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fabulous solo holiday so far. Wonder if DH would mind if I tried it

Quote:
Originally Posted by karentan View Post

Spent an hour or so shopping in the cast stores behind the MK .
I've never heard of this...where is it and can anybody go or is it for Cast members only?

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: