Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #196
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15robyn View Post
Woah! Talk about needing to lighten up? I didn't say I needed to be first on a ride.

Several people stated there was no additional "cost" to a family associated with testing MBs/FP+. This was simply an example of how volunteering to test this project could cost a family hours of time (and we've all seen the posts from testers about time lost dealing with various glitches in the system).

Since time has value, clearly Disney has decided they'll attempt to reimburse that added "cost" by allowing testers to also pull regular FPs.
Yes, I had misunderstood. I deleted my original response. Sorry about that.
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #197
f15robyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
Yes, I had misunderstood. I deleted my original response. Sorry about that.
No problem. I realized that once I saw your response to Reddog, so I deleted mine too. Sorry.
W.H. (with husband - who is my official enabler )
Jan 2008 - Off site; Jan 2009 - POR & BWV; May 2009 - Disneyland!!; Dec 2009 - CR; Jan/Feb 2010 - CR; Mar 2010 - Dolphin; Apr 2010 - BLT (hubby's last minute business trip); May 2010 - CR; Jun/Jul 2010 -CR (another hubby business trip); Sept 2010 - Dolphin; Nov 2010 - CR; Jan 2011 - Disneyland; Mar 2011 - Dolphin; July 2011 - CR; Sept 2011 - Dolphin & CR; Jan 2012 - CS, Dolphin & CR; Mar 2012 - Dolphin; Oct 2012 - Disneyland & CR & AoA; Jan 2013 - Dolphin; May 2013 - CR; Sept 2013 - Swan
f15robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #198
mickeysmith
Mouseketeer

We'll be there in 23 days, and I am starting to feel that if these bands start taking up my time with issues, I will bail and use FP- only. I look so forward to this trip, as we all do. I just hate the thought of standing around, trying to get to the bottom of things. I am going with a positive attitude and hope for the best. Do you think these glitches are few and far between? I know it is hard to tell until we get there.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #199
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

I think that assuming what is happening today is the same as what will happen tomorrow might be a mistake. I think a December trip could change vastly in a week, let alone 2 months.

I also think you guys should get APs, because you have had a few trips here!

I think you should speak to my husband.
We did have AP's but have all these old two day tickets because we always ended up booking free dining. So this was the year to use them.
So even if we go the AP route in December, we'll be applying the $700 in value we get for the two day tickets.

And you are right.. there's no reason for me to assume anything at this point. I don't like the uncertainty but normally manage to adopt a "It will all be fine" attitude. And then I get on here, read a thread and start a pity party. I need to stop that.

I truly do believe that we'll manage to have a good time. I've just never gone with so many unanswered questions. If I think about it too much I start to worry that something could go really wrong with the trip and we'll be at the back end of standby lines the whole time.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #200
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmith View Post
We'll be there in 23 days, and I am starting to feel that if these bands start taking up my time with issues, I will bail and use FP- only. I look so forward to this trip, as we all do. I just hate the thought of standing around, trying to get to the bottom of things. I am going with a positive attitude and hope for the best. Do you think these glitches are few and far between? I know it is hard to tell until we get there.
We arrive on October 10th. I did customize our bands, and make some FP+ ressies. I guess we'll see how it goes. We are doing the EMH one night, so I think I will ask for room keys when we check in (as well as it being on our magic bands) that way there's no issue with staying in the park once it closes to non-resort guests.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #201
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15robyn View Post
Not all "costs" are dollars paid out. There's a very common concept used in financial analysis and economics called opportunity cost.
The potential opportunity cost is EXACTLy why I'm opting out. If I'm a person with no problems--awesome. But the problems that people are reporting seem to follow no rhyme or reason, and pop up unexpectedly. The ability to book three attractions ahead of time just isn't enough incentive for me to want to link my park tickets to those little bands. IF there is a problem, it could cost me hours per day. I don't have the patience to deal with that. I don't want to have to go to GR every day, or visit the conceirge every day, or get delayed going into the parks every day.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #202
GhostLady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi
I''ve been to WDW more times than I can possibly count, and it's just not a big deal if we have to wait in line.
I have been following a lot of FP threads but have not commented until now but this comment is one of the reasons why I think theres such a difference of opinions on this issue. If I had been "more times than I can possibly count", i would also not mind if I had to waste valuable park time to deal with MB issues or risk having all my FP+ selections erased or times randomly changed(as others have reported). It would be a risk worth taking because chances are I have already had the opportunity to ride every ride mulitiple times and would know I will have other trips to ride them again but for those of us who are rarely able to visit and could possibly be visiting for the first and/or last time, each and every hour counts. Why would we be willing to risk giving up hours or even minutes of our precious vacation time to test a system that has so many reported issues without knowing we can have a back up plan in case we have problems?

For those that say people like me can "opt out"..please tell me how to do that. I would love to know that I have that option if I decide particpating isnt worth the hassle but I can't seem to find the "opt out" button. When Magic bands appeared on my MDE I had the option to select colors or get grey ones. Nowhere did I see an option to get only a KTTW without a Magic band. Yes, I do have the option to not select FP+ times but if recent reports are correct and some guests have already been unable to get paper FP's with their KTTW cards then not selecting FP+ options could leave me with no FPs at all so it seems to me that at this point "opting out" would run the risk of getting me 12 grey bands and no FPs. The letter I recieved does say "dont worry if you decide not to participate" but it does not tell me what I need to do to opt out. At this point Im not sure if I want to test but I would love to know how to opt out in case we decide to make that choice...

Nov. 2008- POR and FW........June 2011-POP

Oct. 13th-18th, 2013--Rolling Hills and 1st visit to US/IOA
Oct. 18th-26th, 2013--POP(taking friends for their 1st visit & to celebrate their DD's 7th B-day)

GhostLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #203
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostLady View Post
I have been following a lot of FP threads but have not commented until now but this comment is one of the reasons why I think theres such a difference of opinions on this issue. If I had been "more times than I can possibly count", i would also not mind if I had to waste valuable park time to deal with MB issues or risk having all my FP+ selections erased or times randomly changed(as others have reported). It would be a risk worth taking because chances are I have already had the opportunity to ride every ride mulitiple times and would know I will have other trips to ride them again but for those of us who are rarely able to visit and could possibly be visiting for the first and/or last time, each and every hour counts. Why would we be willing to risk giving up hours or even minutes of our precious vacation time to test a system that has so many reported issues without knowing we can have a back up plan in case we have problems?

For those that say people like me can "opt out"..please tell me how to do that. I would love to know that I have that option if I decide particpating isnt worth the hassle but I can't seem to find the "opt out" button. When Magic bands appeared on my MDE I had the option to select colors or get grey ones. Nowhere did I see an option to get only a KTTW without a Magic band. Yes, I do have the option to not select FP+ times but if recent reports are correct and some guests have already been unable to get paper FP's with their KTTW cards then not selecting FP+ options could leave me with no FPs at all so it seems to me that at this point "opting out" would run the risk of getting me 12 grey bands and no FPs. The letter I recieved does say "dont worry if you decide not to participate" but it does not tell me what I need to do to opt out. At this point Im not sure if I want to test but I would love to know how to opt out in case we decide to make that choice...
I'm pretty sure that you have to "opt in" if you want to participate. So by doing nothing, you are "opting out".
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #204
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I completely agree with you. If this is your "once in a lifetime" trip, or if you don't go often, I can totally understand wanting to use the regular FP system and not have any issues. I'm not sure if you can opt out though. It seems like almost all of the resorts are doing this now. I'm not sure .... maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #205
GhostLady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134

I'm pretty sure that you have to "opt in" if you want to participate. So by doing nothing, you are "opting out".
Does that mean that its too late for me to opt out since I have already gotten magic bands?

I customized them because I didnt want to risk getting all grey ones for our party of 12. If Im stuck testing now, I can live with that and still have a great time but I'd just like to know what, if any options I have.

Oct. 18th-26th, 2013--POP(taking friends for their 1st visit & to celebrate their DD's 7th B-day)

Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #206
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does that mean that its too late for me to opt out since I have already gotten magic bands?

I customized them because I didnt want to risk getting all grey ones for our party of 12. If Im stuck testing now, I can live with that and still have a great time but I'd just like to know what, if any options I have.
You could try to call and ask to be removed but I'm not sure that's necessary.

As long as you have a park ticket and room key card, you should be able to go about your vacation as if you don't even have Magic Bands.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #207
GhostLady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi

I completely agree with you. If this is your "once in a lifetime" trip, or if you don't go often, I can totally understand wanting to use the regular FP system and not have any issues. I'm not sure if you can opt out though. It seems like almost all of the resorts are doing this now. I'm not sure .... maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.
Thank you for understanding. This will be the 3rd trip for my family and I do hope it wont be the last but Im sure it will be several years before we can schedule our next trip. We are traveling with another family this time and this is not only their first Disney trip but its their 1st ever family vacation. I have planned the entire trip for all of us and it was my decision to "opt in" so I guess Im a little worried that my decision might have been a mistake and they wont be able to enjoy the parks as much as they could have using FP-.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #208
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post

As long as you have a park ticket and room key card, you should be able to go about your vacation as if you don't even have Magic Bands.
So...if I customize Magic Bands and do not link my tickets from Undercover Tourist, I can still use fp-? At least as it stands right now?
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #209
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you for understanding. This will be the 3rd trip for my family and I do hope it wont be the last but Im sure it will be several years before we can schedule our next trip. We are traveling with another family this time and this is not only their first Disney trip but its their 1st ever family vacation. I have planned the entire trip for all of us and it was my decision to "opt in" so I guess Im a little worried that my decision might have been a mistake and they wont be able to enjoy the parks as much as they could have using FP-.
I'm sure it will be fine. I go before you ... I'll be sure to post my experience when I get back. From what I understand, if you don't reserve any FP+, then you should have no problem using the regular FP system. Also, you can log on to your account on the WDW website and deactivate your magic bands if you don't want to use them (i just found this out by doing a google search).
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #210
GhostLady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134

Im going to call in the next day or two to make sure my room requests are still listed so I might ask about it then. I assume the phone CM wont be much help so I'll probably have to call IT.

We have a package so we will only have our bands and KTTW(assuming they are still giving those when we get there). I have no problem leaving our bands behind and only using the KTTW if necessary but I am concerned after reading several reports about KTTW no longer working to pull regular FPs. Id rather have 3 FP+ than nothing at all so im afraid that if I dont select them now, I could be stuck trying to find available times after I get there. Im happy with the old system and I think I can adjust to the new one easily. I think my stress is coming from so many unknowns. Im sure I wont truely have answers until I arrive. Its just hard to make a decision without having all the facts. Thank you for your help...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: