Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Most houses here have sensor lights so they don't come on until someone walks right up to the step.
Well yeah, didn't think of that. What can I say, only half a cup of coffee this am and got up WAY to early.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
plutotek
DIS Veteran

I do a yard display/haunt every year, so DW is the one that makes the candy decisions. If it was up to me, no costume/no candy would be the rule. However, I get my revenge as these costume scofflaws are usually the type that have the 'nothing scares me' attitude, right until one of my props pops up next to them. The only exceptions I have for the costume rule are the parents that take part in the fun, as that usually scores them their own treat.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree- I don't care if they wear a costume or not- I you knock you get candy. We also don't do the lights on or off thing here- the kids start at one end of the block and knock on every door, lights on or not. They start coming around 3 when they get out of school- unless its a weekend then they start around noon and keep coming until 830-900. You can choose to answer your door or not but kids will be knocking on it all night long.
Wow. That is much different than it is here. Each community in our area has a designated night and time--6:00 to 8:00 I think. The kids may start a few minutes early--especially the immediate neighbors, but I rarely get more than a few after 7:30 or so. We also skip houses without lights on.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #34
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Wow different ways of doing thing in different areas of the country. Around here, we never start before 6:00pm it just isn't done, even if on the weekend. YOu would probably be told to come back later. Also around here it is rude to knock or ring the bell if the light is off.
We don't start until around 6 as well, maybe 5 if we're pushing it.
And I've always taught my kids that if there's no light on(after it's dark) it's rude to go up. I've never had anyone ring my bell after the lights gone off, it's the unwritten rule around here.

I don't foresee any time where I'd stop handing out candy based on if my my kids go out or not. My kids are probably on their last year or trick or treating, and it never even crossed my mind to stop buying candy for the kids. There are tons of elderly people in this area that give out candy. I'd say 3/4 of the houses my kids go to, don't have kids under 13 living there.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Take the year off. I don't blame you. I hate Halloween, always have always will. Even as a kid I hated dressing up. We always had candy around, so I saw no need for all of that nonsense. I am taking this year off, I won't be spending a ton of money on candy, I would rather do out and spend it on my family. Halloween is something that I have to get through, in order to get to Thanksgiving and christmas. I know others love it, but I have no use what so ever for this holiday.
I actually enjoy Halloween more as an adult than I did as a kid. I don't like the scary aspect of it--hate haunted houses, scary movies and grotesque costumes, makeup and decorations. I also never really liked dressing up much. My dad thought it was a celebration of evil so it wasn't a big deal in our house--my sisters and I usually wore hobo costumes my mom threw together at the last minute. But I do like fall decorations--pumpkins and cornstalks, mums etc and I enjoy the excitement of the kids and the general atmosphere in the neighborhood. My in-laws will stop over to see our kids dressed up and will bring them candy. We'll head outside for pictures and usually do a big group shot of all the kids in the neighborhood and then the kids usually start off in a big group with the dads trailing behind them ( sometimes a few moms too). If it is nice out my neighbor and I will pick a driveway and hand out candy in one of them and spend the evening catching up with each other and other neighbors as they pass by. My husband will usually put music on for us. After the kids are done they come into our house,dump out their bags and see what they have and the eating,trading and negotiating starts. My husband gets into the act too, using the leftovers of what we were passing out to get his favorites. That part can be hilarious.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I would skip it since you don't enjoy it.

I used to love Halloween but over the past 2 years, people have stolen decorations from our front porch and our front yard, lots of rude kids coming to the door and my husband who wants me to hand out candy but doesn't bother to be home to do it himself have burned me out.

I'm undecided about decorating outside at all this year and don't want to give out candy but my husband wants *us* to (but it will be me doing it).
If I decide to hand out candy, it will only be for a couple of hours early in the evening and then it's lights out.

One of the biggest neighborhoods in our area had specific hours last year 6pm-9pm. I know someone who lives in that neighborhood who said it was great doing that.

One thing I do enjoy doing is putting together a gift bag for each of my teens with candy for them. This year I picked up Disney themed candy while I was at Disney World and I will buy some of their other favorites to put in the bags.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

I used to like Halloween. Now I loathe it. The kids AND the parents keep getting ruder and ruder.

I can't stand the teenage kids who aren't even dressed up who just show up and stare at you. Yeah they could be off getting in trouble....OR they could just be off BEING GOOD KIDS and not doing something they are too old for and not willing to put any work into. Why does it have to be one or the other? Either they are jerks with no costumes demanding candy , or they are getting into trouble? What a sad state of affairs if those are the only options for them! Harrumph!

Last year I had parents digging through my bowl looking for "The good candy". I had small kids breaking decorations in my yard and their parents just standing there watching them, not even bothering to stop them from destroying my property.

I am just so over the increasingly entitled attitudes of both the kids and the parents. Blah!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

stealing candy from a baby

Then there's the teens who get their kicks from bag-snatching. They're too lazy (or their parents told them they're too old) to put on a costume and go trick-or-treating so they run past a little kid, grab their bag of candy, then jump into a friend's get-away car and take off.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I love giving out candy.

I don't stress out about kids not saying trick or treat, thank you or anything else. They are kids, this is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

My house is also not Halloween Runway where I judge the appropriateness of costumes. I don't care if a kid has a costume or not. Again, it is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

I don't care if the kid is 2 or 22. I give out candy regardless.

And I would NEVER question a child asking if they ask if they can have a piece for their brother/sister/dog. If you are stressing over a 5 cent piece of candy and kids not following your set of Halloween rules, you should probably leave the porch light off. There is no rule that you have to give out candy.

So, yes, I buy lots of candy and open my door with a smile. That said, I have never had a problem with any kid in the 30+ years we have been handing out candy.
I feel the same way. I don't give a fig if a person has a costume on nor do I ask their age. It's Halloween and everyone is invited to knock at my door and receive candy. Why judge?
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #40
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree- I don't care if they wear a costume or not- I you knock you get candy. We also don't do the lights on or off thing here- the kids start at one end of the block and knock on every door, lights on or not. They start coming around 3 when they get out of school- unless its a weekend then they start around noon and keep coming until 830-900. You can choose to answer your door or not but kids will be knocking on it all night long.

Yikes! Sounds like something right out of the movie Halloween!

While I love the beginning with the song I'd not like knocking into the Night!
I would definitely be going out and if it fell on a wk end away for the night.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #41
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love giving out candy.

I don't stress out about kids not saying trick or treat, thank you or anything else. They are kids, this is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

My house is also not Halloween Runway where I judge the appropriateness of costumes. I don't care if a kid has a costume or not. Again, it is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

And I would NEVER question a child asking if they ask if they can have a piece for their brother/sister/dog. If you are stressing over a 5 cent piece of candy and kids not following your set of Halloween rules, you should probably leave the porch light off. There is no rule that you have to give out candy.

So, yes, I buy lots of candy and open my door with a smile. That said, I have never had a problem with any kid in the 30+ years we have been handing out candy.
I feel the same way. I don't give a fig if a person has a costume on nor do I ask their age. It's Halloween and everyone is invited to knock at my door and receive candy.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

This, +1. We pretty much missed Halloween last year because of Sandy and we aren't missing another one. Never had any issues, and we tend to give out an assortment of candy to each child, the older kids that come here are all smiles and thanks. Our town has a curfew, 8pm until 2010 then I think it was 7pm in 2011 which seemed a little to early to me.
Donna

Quote:
I love giving out candy.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I use to love halloween and we would go all out with the decorations, costumes and candy. Every year I got more and more upset until 3 years ago I said enough. We still do trunk or treat at our church, but we no longer do trick or treat at our home. Since we stopped all of our neighbors have also stopped. Instead of thank-yous we got static. Nobody seemed satisfied with what they got and wanted more and more and more. I think we just reached the point where I will give to people who seem to enjoy what they get and not complain.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #44
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnainnj View Post
This, +1. We pretty much missed Halloween last year because of Sandy and we aren't missing another one. Never had any issues, and we tend to give out an assortment of candy to each child, the older kids that come here are all smiles and thanks. Our town has a curfew, 8pm until 2010 then I think it was 7pm in 2011 which seemed a little to early to me.
Donna

I like the curfew. Aprilgail2's house-Into the night (knocking) even when lights are out. No way.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I wish we had Trick or Treaters in my neighborhood. We just don't get kids here. I do always have candy if we are home, JUST IN CASE. If ever we get a kid, they are getting the whole bag.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: