Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Last year was the first year we gave out candy. I was surprised to see 17 and 18 year olds trying to take handfuls. I've decided this year to have two different bowls, one for the younger kids and another for teens. If the teen bowl is gone then there will be no more.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
lizabu
DIS Veteran

By about 8pm I turn off the light and blow out the candles in the Jack OLantern. To me, that's the universal signal for we don't have any more candy. After 8 its just big kids and I figure they can go buy their own candy...lol
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

I love passing out candy and being a substitute teacher for 30 years in this town......I know most of the kids AND their parents so I usually have a lot of fun seeing everyone out and about.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

If you want a year off, take it! Participation is voluntary

I will have tons of candy ready, and my four kids 15, 13, 5 and 3 will be dressing up and hitting the neighborhood! Teens going door to door are teens that aren't drinking, causing mischief, or destruction. I don't care if you are wearing a costume or not when you come to my door, you will get a greeting and some candy. I have handed out candy to adults who have said yum when they see the options! Maybe thats why my house gets decent Halloween action....or its just my neighborhood? Some houses go together and have a food and drink spread along with adults sitting in the driveway with a fire pit. Our police drives around and hands out candy or glow products. Halloween is fun!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
By about 8pm I turn off the light and blow out the candles in the Jack OLantern. To me, that's the universal signal for we don't have any more candy. After 8 its just big kids and I figure they can go buy their own candy...lol
This is pretty much what we do. The lights go on around 5:30 and off at 8:00. And when I hand out candy, I do just that- I hand it to them. I don't offer the bowl and let them grab as much as they can. I do try to buy a nice selection of treats, but the kids don't get to choose what they get.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurcomputer View Post
If you want a year off, take it! Participation is voluntary

I will have tons of candy ready, and my four kids 15, 13, 5 and 3 will be dressing up and hitting the neighborhood! Teens going door to door are teens that aren't drinking, causing mischief, or destruction. I don't care if you are wearing a costume or not when you come to my door, you will get a greeting and some candy. I have handed out candy to adults who have said yum when they see the options! Maybe thats why my house gets decent Halloween action....or its just my neighborhood? Some houses go together and have a food and drink spread along with adults sitting in the driveway with a fire pit. Our police drives around and hands out candy or glow products. Halloween is fun!
That does sound like fun. But we had rowdy teens last year and we'll have candy set aside for them. Once its gone, too bad. I don't want them taking from the little ones (which we get plenty off).

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I love giving out candy.

I don't stress out about kids not saying trick or treat, thank you or anything else. They are kids, this is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

My house is also not Halloween Runway where I judge the appropriateness of costumes. I don't care if a kid has a costume or not. Again, it is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

I don't care if the kid is 2 or 22. I give out candy regardless.

And I would NEVER question a child asking if they ask if they can have a piece for their brother/sister/dog. If you are stressing over a 5 cent piece of candy and kids not following your set of Halloween rules, you should probably leave the porch light off. There is no rule that you have to give out candy.

So, yes, I buy lots of candy and open my door with a smile. That said, I have never had a problem with any kid in the 30+ years we have been handing out candy.
This a thousand times!

I don't mind the older teens either! Costume or no! They could be out getting in trouble. So what if it's a candy grab!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

If it's not enjoyable for you, don't participate. I wouldn't blame you, from what you've described!

Personally, I absolutely love Halloween and handing out candy. We live in a cookie-cutter housing development that was created in the middle of nowhere, in a very rural area. There's fewer than 100 houses in our neighborhood, but since our houses are so close together and have sidewalks, a LOT of local families bring their kids to our development for trick or treating. That might bother others, but I absolutely love it. Our doorbell rings non-stop all night and the kids and their parents have always been very polite. And even the poorest families make an effort to dress up in some way. I've seen some very creative home-made costumes and little touches, and a lot of adorable, super-excited kids! My DH always winds up freaking out that we're going to run out of candy because I can't help but give out handfuls at a time.

I don't know if it's a regional thing or because of the rural area or what. But, even though I loved giving out candy back home in NJ too, it was a very different crowd then. Almost no one up there wore costumes...we had lots of sullen teens holding out their back-packs and walking away without thank yous. I always held out for the 10-20% of kids who showed up in costume who made it all worth it! But down here, it's so far been an amazing experience each Halloween. It's one of the few things I'm going to miss when we leave Florida in a couple years.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Halloween is my favorite. I could never take a year off aside from the sneaky candy grabbers. Now, Christmas on the other hand I could skip!

If you're burned out, don't participate. Start a new tradition or throw a party?
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
alc571
DIS Veteran

Our son is 7. When one of us returns with him, we shut the lights off. It's too hard to get him to bed with the doorbell ringing, and I figure it's only kids older than him that are still out there. It's usually around 8pm. Once he's done trick or treating, we will probably stop handing it out. Until then, I don't feel right about having a kid out collecting it from neighbours if we aren't giving any out to their kids.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Take the year off. I don't blame you. I hate Halloween, always have always will. Even as a kid I hated dressing up. We always had candy around, so I saw no need for all of that nonsense.

I am taking this year off, I won't be spending a ton of money on candy, I would rather do out and spend it on my family.

Halloween is something that I have to get through, in order to get to Thanksgiving and christmas. I know others love it, but I have no use what so ever for this holiday.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I love giving out candy.

I don't stress out about kids not saying trick or treat, thank you or anything else. They are kids, this is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

My house is also not Halloween Runway where I judge the appropriateness of costumes. I don't care if a kid has a costume or not. Again, it is a fun holiday and I am not their mother.

I don't care if the kid is 2 or 22. I give out candy regardless.

And I would NEVER question a child asking if they ask if they can have a piece for their brother/sister/dog. If you are stressing over a 5 cent piece of candy and kids not following your set of Halloween rules, you should probably leave the porch light off. There is no rule that you have to give out candy.

So, yes, I buy lots of candy and open my door with a smile. That said, I have never had a problem with any kid in the 30+ years we have been handing out candy.
I agree- I don't care if they wear a costume or not- I you knock you get candy. We also don't do the lights on or off thing here- the kids start at one end of the block and knock on every door, lights on or not. They start coming around 3 when they get out of school- unless its a weekend then they start around noon and keep coming until 830-900. You can choose to answer your door or not but kids will be knocking on it all night long.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I agree- I don't care if they wear a costume or not- I you knock you get candy. We also don't do the lights on or off thing here- the kids start at one end of the block and knock on every door, lights on or not. They start coming around 3 when they get out of school- unless its a weekend then they start around noon and keep coming until 830-900. You can choose to answer your door or not but kids will be knocking on it all night long.
Wow different ways of doing thing in different areas of the country. Around here, we never start before 6:00pm it just isn't done, even if on the weekend. YOu would probably be told to come back later. Also around here it is rude to knock or ring the bell if the light is off.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Wow if I had that experience, I wouldn't want to deal with them either.
We don't get a lot of kids, but the ones we get have been unfailingly polite. I have to ask them to take more than one piece.

Heck, when my kids were really little, I'd leave the bowl on the porch with a sign that said take two, and there was always plenty left.

The teenagers are actually very polite. LOL I do say something jokingly about no costume if they don't have one. But they're always good natured about it,

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Wow different ways of doing thing in different areas of the country. Around here, we never start before 6:00pm it just isn't done, even if on the weekend. YOu would probably be told to come back later. Also around here it is rude to knock or ring the bell if the light is off.
Most houses here have sensor lights so they don't come on until someone walks right up to the step.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: