Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
jazz0007
DIS Veteran

CSR...as huge as POR?

This will be our first trip to CSR. We are die hard POR people and couldn't get in this time. I am trying to get excited by educating myself.

I keep reading and reading how big CSR is if you're at the far end. Is it any worse than POR? It doesn't bother us too much either way....just curious!

Also is it as open and sunny (and hot) as it appears in pictures?? I love the lushness of POR and the openess of CSR (in pictures) is what is not exciting me!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
PPFDDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at both, and quite frankly, at its longest stretch they are about the same to get from the main building. It all depends on what your gauging your walk against personally.....

PPFDDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I don't know if the footprint of CSR is bigger than POR, but it's definitely a longer walk from end to end than POR. POR has multiple bridges to allow people to get to the central island with the feature pool and to the other areas of the resort. CSR only has one bridge on one end of the lake. It doesn't have centralized bridges to allow people to quickly cut over to the other side of the lake. It can take 10-15 minutes to walk from, say, the lobby of CSR to the feature pool area, unless you're speed walking. The lake at CSR is also rounder than the small river that goes through POR, making the walk around it a longer chore than at POR.

CSR is pretty lush, though, or at least as lush as the theme allows. The area surrounding the CSR feature pool is extremely lush. But the pathways at CSR are fairly open. I found that to be a plus, actually, since the walk was so long around the resort, I liked being able to walk easily and still have room for other walkers or the CM carts, etc. to go by.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
It doesn't have centralized bridges to allow people to quickly cut over to the other side of the lake. It can take 10-15 minutes to walk from, say, the lobby of CSR to the feature pool area, unless you're speed walking.
Not trying to discredit, but I'm not so sure I agree with this. I've stayed at CSR on multiple occasions and I don't recall that walk ever taking that long. There is a bridge that goes directly to the main pool around the corner from the back entrance of the main building right as you pass Cabanas 9b. We never found anything inconvenient to get to.

OP: If you wish you should request Cabanas 8a or 8b. Both buildings are very close to the main pool and building 8b is next to the quiet pool. Both buildings have a bus stop right out the back door, and both are a quick 5 minute walk to the main building. We have always stayed in Cabanas 8b. Just love it there. The only negative experience we had there was day 2 at the main bus stop. It was far too crowded and every bus was full once it got there as it was the last stop before leaving. We used the one at our building every other time and never had any other issues.

I hope this helps.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinniesYooHoo View Post
Not trying to discredit, but I'm not so sure I agree with this. I've stayed at CSR on multiple occasions and I don't recall that walk ever taking that long. There is a bridge that goes directly to the main pool around the corner from the back entrance of the main building right as you pass Cabanas 9b. We never found anything inconvenient to get to.

OP: If you wish you should request Cabanas 8a or 8b. Both buildings are very close to the main pool and building 8b is next to the quiet pool. Both buildings have a bus stop right out the back door, and both are a quick 5 minute walk to the main building. We have always stayed in Cabanas 8b. Just love it there. The only negative experience we had there was day 2 at the main bus stop. It was far too crowded and every bus was full once it got there as it was the last stop before leaving. We used the one at our building every other time and never had any other issues.

I hope this helps.
Agree with this

Our favorite area to stay is Ranchos - the "farthest" area (have stayed in all of them) and by the crow flies it might be 30-50 yards farther away. It is a couple minutes to the main pool or the bus stop. You can take the bus to the Main building or walk via the path/bridge, always less than 10 minutes. We also stayed when utilizing the Pepper Market, Maya Grill etc while there and never felt size an issue. Both these resorts are built on a circular footprint around water. The difference is that POR added an island in the middle for it's pool and CSR did not. The CSR Dig Site also includes a limited quick service menu and refills for mugs at it's "pool bar". I would request a building location at either resort so your priorities are met. We love both the resorts and find the walk is similar in relative to location.

Note: the bus stop at CSR Main building is the last stop before it leaves for parks because it is used by some to get from their room to the Main building and so coming home from the parks, you get to your room faster.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

We have stayed at both resorts many times and they are very close in size. If room is at back of resort and you want to get to the main bldg, the walk is right at 10 minutes for both. Our family is really in the minority on the Dis, because we do not think that a 10 minute walk is "forever" or "to far to walk" as so many people whine about We enjoy the walks around all the resorts we stay at, disney does a great job with theier themes etc.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
jazz0007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have stayed at both resorts many times and they are very close in size. If room is at back of resort and you want to get to the main bldg, the walk is right at 10 minutes for both. Our family is really in the minority on the Dis, because we do not think that a 10 minute walk is "forever" or "to far to walk" as so many people whine about We enjoy the walks around all the resorts we stay at, disney does a great job with theier themes etc.
We actually do to! I was just curious if it was about the same.....it's hard to tell because so many people DO complain. We don't like to be close to the main building....we'd rather be away from the crowds.

Thank you everyone.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We are POR people too and are staying at CSR for the first time in November, although we have visited CSR before.

To us, POR is more elongated with the bridges strategically placed, as PP mentioned. CSR is more round and you must go around the lake, rather than over it, to get to where you want to go. So, different layouts but I don't think one is far worse than the other.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: