Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Just make queen beds standard

Looks like my trip is about to go down in flames. I told DH that I could probably get a week at a value resort for about $700 less than a moderate resort or renting DVC points. However, queen beds aren't standard and my 6'4 husband doesn't exactly fit in a double bed. Why can't WDW just make queen beds standard in all the resorts? Are there any value resorts that have queen beds in a standard room?

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

That's how they get people like me to pay more for rooms. I can't see myself sleeping with my DH on a double bed.

Some, but not all of the mods have queens available. I hope you can get a deal to bring it into your price point!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
siestakey
Malificent Fan

Look for a king size bed room at one of the values.

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Not sure if you can request a king at the values, but there are rooms that have them. I've been assigned to them at check-in on occasion; however, they've all been handicapped accessible rooms. And if you're bringing the kids, you can't get a king room anyway.

Sorry, but there are no values with queen beds (except the family suites).
Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLabradors View Post
Looks like my trip is about to go down in flames. I told DH that I could probably get a week at a value resort for about $700 less than a moderate resort or renting DVC points. However, queen beds aren't standard and my 6'4 husband doesn't exactly fit in a double bed. Why can't WDW just make queen beds standard in all the resorts? Are there any value resorts that have queen beds in a standard room?
I don't think two queen beds would fit into a Value Resort.room. There's not much space between the two full-size beds that are currently in them. Queen-size beds are 6 inches wider than doubles, so you're talking about a full foot of floor space lost between the beds. Not to mention the 5 additional inches in length that may make it impossible to maneuver a stroller or ECV into the room.

If it's just the two of you, look for a king room. It will cost slightly more but will be worth it to get a good night's sleep.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

It's amazing how may resorts and hotels have double beds as their standard. Every time we look at vacationing and start researching hotels, almost everything I find is double bed. My DH and son are both 6'3" and DD and I are both 5'9". Not all the comfy...but we make do if it's the best place and price at the time. (we bring an full-size Aerobed for one of the kids).

I don't think Disney can change the Values to queens as the room size won't accomodate them very well.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
angierae
DIS Veteran

Disney's got people over a barrel - if there's more than two of us going, we have to stay moderate, because I am not sharing a double bed! DH and I have a king at home and even a queen feels weird, but its doable.

Our first trip to WDW we had three rooms - MIL and DD15, DH and I, and BIL & SIL. We ended up with three rooms at Pop with double beds - and DH and I slept in separate beds for a week.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
It's amazing how may resorts and hotels have double beds as their standard. Every time we look at vacationing and start researching hotels, almost everything I find is double bed. My DH and son are both 6'3" and DD and I are both 5'9". Not all the comfy...but we make do if it's the best place and price at the time. (we bring an full-size Aerobed for one of the kids).

I don't think Disney can change the Values to queens as the room size won't accomodate them very well.
I agree about the Value resorts. But I do hope that Disney does change Caribbean Beach to Queens soon. It's the main reason why we didn't switch to the resort when free dining came out (we had been booked at POR, now at WL). My DH is 6'2" and we have a King at home. Queen is doable. But a Full... too narrow.

Though I still think I'll end up sharing a bed with our DS (4) and DH will get the other.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR, 11/13 WL
sweetnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
DLM1980
Supreme Fraggle Extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
It's amazing how may resorts and hotels have double beds as their standard. Every time we look at vacationing and start researching hotels, almost everything I find is double bed. My DH and son are both 6'3" and DD and I are both 5'9". Not all the comfy...but we make do if it's the best place and price at the time. (we bring an full-size Aerobed for one of the kids). I don't think Disney can change the Values to queens as the room size won't accomodate them very well.
Queen bunk beds! LOL
DLM1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnjmom View Post
But I do hope that Disney does change Caribbean Beach to Queens soon.
This is supposed to happen staring in March, 2014.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Consider staying off site??

Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilivetogo View Post
Consider staying off site?? .
Not going to happen for me. The joy if a Disney vacation is partially the joy if not having to drive for a week.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

CBR switching to Queen beds? that is good news. Double beds may prevent us from reaching our goal to stay at every Disney resort... Just not comfortable enough for a week at WDW.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
Not going to happen for me. The joy if a Disney vacation is partially the joy if not having to drive for a week.

This is me, too. I've only stayed off the monorail line once and that was at the Boardwalk. As a kid, the only options were the CR or the Poly, so that's where we stayed. This would be a first trip for my DH and our kids. I really want to give them the "Disney Experience". I'm hoping DH will just give in and let me plan this the way I want.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnjmom View Post
I agree about the Value resorts. But I do hope that Disney does change Caribbean Beach to Queens soon. It's the main reason why we didn't switch to the resort when free dining came out (we had been booked at POR, now at WL). My DH is 6'2" and we have a King at home. Queen is doable. But a Full... too narrow.

Though I still think I'll end up sharing a bed with our DS (4) and DH will get the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
CBR switching to Queen beds? that is good news. Double beds may prevent us from reaching our goal to stay at every Disney resort... Just not comfortable enough for a week at WDW.
I spoke with someone at the CBR (not the call center) and they confirmed that the resort is getting a refurb which will include queen beds starting in April, 2014.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: