Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKFan-PR View Post
Once you put a credit / debit card on file, they only verify if it's valid. No holds are placed on the funds (other hotels do; Disney doesn't). Your credit limit will be based on the resort level: $500 at Values, $800 at Mods and $1000 at Deluxes, IIRC. If you reach your limit, they won't automatically charge the accumulated balance to the card; you have to ask them to do it. Only then will they charge the card and restore your CL. The only time they charge to your card automatically is on checkout. If your KTTW card is declined when making a purchase you can usually solve it with a phone call to the resort, telling them to charge the balance to the card. To avoid issues what I usually do is check our charges every couple of days and tell the CM to charge the card if I'm nearing my limit.

Two words of caution with debit cards, though (from personal experience ):

1) Check if your card has a daily purchase limit, or a maximum transaction amount limit. Call the bank / issuer. If it's too low, you can usually ask them to change it temporarily if you explain that you will be on vacation.

2) With some debit cards, when using it for tourist / vacation items like hotel charges, car rentals, etc, the issuer might debit the amount charged, and will also add a temporary hold on the transaction of about 15% of the amount charged, (for 'incidentals' is how they explained it to me ). The additional amount will be cleared in a couple of days, but it will affect your balance. This means that if you're clearing your balance at, say, a Value, Disney will charge $500, but your bank account transactions will show a charge of $575: the $500 charge plus the additional 15% hold. After a couple of days you'll see the charge revert to $500, with the $75 restored to your account.
The limit was $1500 at deluxes this summer, and some CMs will charge it automatically others will wait for you to ask I've had both,
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
The limit was $1500 at deluxes this summer, and some CMs will charge it automatically others will wait for you to ask I've had both,
Yes, it's $500 for value, $1000 for mods and $1500 for deluxe.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
MKFan-PR
Certified MK Freak! Work is what I do for Vacation money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Good to know! Thanks! Too bad they didn't increase the limit for the Values...

'73 - Offsite w/Parents * '75 - CR w/Parents * '77 - Offsite w/Parents * '83 - Offsite w/Parents * 10/94 - CBR - DW * 09/95 - Poly - DW * 11/96 - POFQ - DW * 11/97 - WL - DW * 10/99 - CSR - DW, DD * 08/02 - CBR - DW, DD * 12/03 - Poly - DW, DD * 07-08/05 - POFQ - DW, DD * 12/08 - CBR - DW, DD * 01/12 - AS-Mo DW, DD * 01/14 - POP DW, DD
MKFan-PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
jazz0007
DIS Veteran

Did this at POR last year. They waited until the night before we checked out and then I headed down and paid some off with gift cards....the remainder charged to my cc. Glad they didn't do it nightly!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
twokiddos
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the feedback. We will just charge to the room after we use the U.S. money we're bringing. I figure we should take a bit of cash. Then at the end I'll pay whatever is charged with my debit card. I'm hoping to stick within budget so it shouldn't be more than $800. Let's hope!
twokiddos is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: